Are/were the Batman fans responsible for a lot of the hate?

Forbidden Eye

I actually agree with Stoo, since so much of this discussion doesn't seem to be Indy related, it should be moved to the thread linked. I did want to make one point though.

Nurhachi1991 said:
The thing with the Batman movies is something tragic always seems to happen upon there release which in a way convinces people the movie is better than it really is. For example when Heath passed away every band wagoner this side of Gotham was raving on about how the TDK was the greatest movie ever blah blah blah. Was it a good movie? Yeah I would say so but it was not a great movie and I have only seen it twice. Heath was a great Joker but I personally liked Nicholson the best.

Now with The Dark Knight Rises and the horrible tragedy that happened upon it's release. Once again people are going to convinced the film is better than it really is based on the events surrounding it.

You may have a point in regards to Ledger, but I don't see why anyone would like The Dark Knight Rises more because of the Aurora shootings. If anything, many people are liking it less because it fuels that age-old debate of entertainment desensitizing violence.

kongisking

Nurhachi1991 said:
The thing with the Batman movies is something tragic always seems to happen upon there release which in a way convinces people the movie is better than it really is. For example when Heath passed away every band wagoner this side of Gotham was raving on about how the TDK was the greatest movie ever blah blah blah. Was it a good movie? Yeah I would say so but it was not a great movie and I have only seen it twice. Heath was a great Joker but I personally liked Nicholson the best.

Now with The Dark Knight Rises and the horrible tragedy that happened upon it's release. Once again people are going to convinced the film is better than it really is based on the events surrounding it.

I guarantee all of you if Harrison would of passed away before KOTCS came out. Everyone would of raved and raved how it was the best movie ever and Harrison is the greatest actor of all time and so on and so forth.

People are fickle.

And it's also tragic how there are those who think that a tragedy surrounding a film automatically means people exaggerate about said film's quality. Sometimes the movie simply is that good. It's a matter of opinion whether or not the Nolan Batflicks fall under that, but if De Niro had died during filming of Taxi Driver, would that film have been considered any more great than it simply was?

But I do agree that people are fickle. Just not in this case.

Though, it would make a great conspiracy theory to say that the shooter planned his massacre specifically to build up positive hype by people out of sympathy, in order to ensure no matter how good the film was, it would be declared a masterpiece.

THAT is Dan Brown's next thriller..."The Dark Knight Conspiracy."

Nurhachi1991

I'm not taking the tragic events that surrounded both films lightly I am just saying that they make people flock to the cinema.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Yeah, come on, Stoo. You can't seriously separate Indy nerds from superhero nerds, or any other kind of nerds. Nerds are nerds, and to say otherwise it just being nerdist.
There are levels & degrees of nerdism and the superhero/Batman fan level is SUPER HIGH! Have Indiana Jones fans ever been muzzled from commenting on a Rancid Potatoes website?:whip:
Moedred said:
We have our share of knee-jerk defenders (no less irritating than the knee-jerk Indy 4 haters) but they're nothing like the thugs who got the Rotten Tomatoes comments shut down indefinitely. Over a hero movie... such irony.
New York Daily News wrote:
"Holy Internet controversies, Batman! Angry nerds, upset by negative reviews."

"Batman" and "angry nerds" used in the same headline. Death threats made to advanced reviewers...Yeesh! Their hatred knows no bounds.:eek: Thankfully, most Indy fans are much more down-to-earth.;)

mattzilla2010

Nurhachi1991 said:
I'm not taking the tragic events that surrounded both films lightly I am just saying that they make people flock to the cinema.
Really? I can see that for Heath Ledger's death in 2008 (people wanting to see his last film role, plus how hyped his performance was) but how does that make any kind of sense with the Colorado tragedy? Why would a mass murder in a movie theater make people "flock to the cinema" to see the movie during which it took place? If anything, it's made some people stay away.

Stoo said:
"Batman" and "angry nerds" used in the same headline. Death threats made to advanced reviewers...Yeesh! Their hatred knows no bounds. Thankfully, most Indy fans are much more down-to-earth.
Batman/superhero fans are also far greater in number, thereby increasing the chances of more bad apples. The angry nerds who cause internet hullabaloo are a highly vocal minority, nothing more.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
There are levels & degrees of nerdism and the superhero/Batman fan level is SUPER HIGH! Have Indiana Jones fans ever been muzzled from commenting on a Rancid Potatoes website?:whip:

I've never partaken of the Festering Turnip, so I wouldn't know.

Several have been permanently muzzled in this joint. As a result this place has been lingering in the doldrums.

The fire has gone out of Indy's universe. The Raven needs to burn again before that other Dark Knight can rise once more.

Lucas and Spielberg are responsible for the hate.

Nolan showed what could be done with a pulp character. He injected pathos and melodrama. Raiders had that, too. KOTCS was nothing but airy fluff. It was an insignficant nothingness.

Lucas and Spielberg. Two men trying to recapture their youth, but not quite remembering what it was that made it good.

Lucas, forever tinkering, forever 'perfecting', forever playing.

I don't think I want to play any more.

Stoo

mattzilla2010 said:
Batman/superhero fans are also far greater in number, thereby increasing the chances of more bad apples. The angry nerds who cause internet hullabaloo are a highly vocal minority, nothing more.
Once again, Mattzilla, you are a voice of reason, however, that doesn't excuse those particular angry nerds' behaviour. Vocal minority, for sure, but...death threats?:eek: Have you ever encountered an instance where the words, "Indiana Jones" and "angry nerds" were used in the same headline of a professional news agency?
Montana Smith said:
I've never partaken of the Festering Turnip, so I wouldn't know.
Nor do I visit the Decayed Cucumber website but one doesn't need to visit it to hear what goes on there. Even you, Smiffy, posted a link to a Daily Mail article about the muzzling of the Bat-nerds so you did know about it by other means. The affair was even reported on TV news broadcasts! (All before the movie even premiered to the public. Indy fans didn't react that way toward the advanced, negative reviews of "Crystal Skull".)
Montana Smith said:
Several have been permanently muzzled in this joint. As a result this place has been lingering in the doldrums.
Some (not all) of the people who've been permanently muzzled in this joint had a particular thing in common: They were rabid Dork Knight fans!:p
Montana Smith said:
Nolan showed what could be done with a pulp character.
Yes, Nolan showed that a pulp character could privately speak to a confidant in a ridiculously raspy voice without that person saying, "Bruce, why the hell are you talking to me like that?":rolleyes:

The rest of your post, my dear friend, clearly illustrates that you are a Batman fan who perpetuates the "Skull" hate.:gun:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Yes, Nolan showed that a pulp character could privately speak to a confidant in a ridiculously raspy voice without that person saying, "Bruce, why the hell are you talking to me like that?":rolleyes:

Makes perfect sense. There's every chance they could be overheard or bugged.

Stoo said:
The rest of your post, my dear friend, clearly illustrates that you are a Batman fan who perpetuates the "Skull" hate.:gun:

I've grown to hate most of the Festering Turnip that is Skull. It's an abomination on the scale of The Phantom Menace.

Having just watched the Blu-ray Star Wars Original Trilogy. Dodgy Special Edition CGI aside, it illustrates Lucas in his prime. In the '80s he was at the top of his game. The difference in execution between the OT and the PT in terms of character and writing (and not to mention acting) is immense. The same can be said of the Indy OT and Skull.

Lucas was the controlling factor. He's the man responsible. With Skull he had the benefit of sharing the blame with Spielberg.

The difference between Nolan and Lucas is that the former is where the latter was in the '80s.

mattzilla2010

Stoo said:
Once again, Mattzilla, you are a voice of reason, however, that doesn't excuse those particular angry nerds' behaviour. Vocal minority, for sure, but...death threats?:eek: Have you ever encountered an instance where the words, "Indiana Jones" and "angry nerds" were used in the same headline of a professional news agency?
No, their behavior is quite inexcusable, but I was just offering up an explanation. I'm a HUGE Batman fan, and I would be offended to be lumped into the same group as those Festering Turnips.

WE'RE NOT ALL THE SAME!!!! :p

Montana Smith said:
I've grown to hate most of the Festering Turnip that is Skull. It's an abomination on the scale of The Phantom Menace.
At least they stopped with one new film for Indy as opposed to three.

Montana Smith

mattzilla2010 said:
At least they stopped with one new film for Indy as opposed to three.

Hopefully stopped! However, it may give Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus a run for its money.

Threats of #5 emerge from time to time, only to be countered by a soothing denial from another quarter.

Imagine, though, if Nolan were to return to Batman in 19 years' time. He would probably be as out of touch as Lucas was with KOTCS and the PT, and become a new focus for hate.

mattzilla2010

Montana Smith said:
Imagine, though, if Nolan were to return to Batman in 19 years' time. He would probably be as out of touch as Lucas was with KOTCS and the PT, and become a new focus for hate.
I shudder to think. But then there's a chance I'd like it. After all, I do genuinely like KOTCS. But the PT, not so much... so hypothetically it could go either way.

But let's hope we never have to find out. ;) As Lucas has proved, there's too much room for error.

jeshopk

All I know is, I put on Crystal Skull once every few months, and I've watched Dark Knight only 3 times. If I had to choose at any given moment, I'd much rather watch Crystal Skull than Dark Knight. Dark Knight is just a cop drama. Crystal Skull is a fun adventure movie. And things like John Carter or The Mummy series I do not watch either. Even the worst Spielberg Directed Indy movie with Harrison Ford and music by John Williams would be better than any of that. Lucas and Spielberg can only fail next to their best works, but their work is still better than others.

jeshopk said:
All I know is, I put on Crystal Skull once every few months, and I've watched Dark Knight only 3 times. If I had to choose at any given moment, I'd much rather watch Crystal Skull than Dark Knight. Dark Knight is just a cop drama. Crystal Skull is a fun adventure movie. And things like John Carter or The Mummy series I do not watch either. Even the worst Spielberg Directed Indy movie with Harrison Ford and music by John Williams would be better than any of that. Lucas and Spielberg can only fail next to their best works, but their work is still better than others.

Drugs and therapy might help. But it does sound serious.

Nurhachi1991

replican't said:
Drugs and therapy might help. But it does sound serious.

No dude he is right...

All the Dark Knight was is.

Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah, JOKER!, Blah, Blah,Blah,Blah JUSTICE!, Blah,Blah,Blah, WHY YOU WANNA KILL ME??,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah, Cool fight scene!,Blah,Blah,Blah, WHERE IS HE??, Blah,Blah,Blah, RACHEL!!, Blah,Blah,Blah. End

kongisking

Nurhachi1991 said:
No dude he is right...

All the Dark Knight was is.

Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah, JOKER!, Blah, Blah,Blah,Blah JUSTICE!, Blah,Blah,Blah, WHY YOU WANNA KILL ME??,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah, Cool fight scene!,Blah,Blah,Blah, WHERE IS HE??, Blah,Blah,Blah, RACHEL!!, Blah,Blah,Blah. End

I could lie and say I'm surprised to see that this was how you saw TDK, in light of how similarly you missed the merits of LOTR, but I won't. I'm not that big of a turd. :p

Club Obi-Wan

New person! Hi!

New person to the forum!
I'm sure this has been discussed, but, I'm a huge Batman fan and, brace yourself, I enjoy "Crystal Skull".

To me, it pressed all of my correct emotional buttons. Sure, I have an issue with the soundstage sets and with Mutt and the CG monkeys, but, I still enjoyed it.

kongisking

Club Obi-Wan said:
New person to the forum!
I'm sure this has been discussed, but, I'm a huge Batman fan and, brace yourself, I enjoy "Crystal Skull".

To me, it pressed all of my correct emotional buttons. Sure, I have an issue with the soundstage sets and with Mutt and the CG monkeys, but, I still enjoyed it.

Welcome to the site, friend. But you do realize you posted in a Batman thread, right? Your post seems to be more about Indy than Batman, and if there's one thing I can tell ya, it's to NEVER talk about one more than the other here. There are some serious haters waiting to take the bait...

But I digress. Welcome. :hat: