Soundtracks?

InexorableTash

lairdo said:
That being said, I think the chances are much higher now than they have ever been since Disney does put out a lot of music and has been doing work on their catalogue to get it released as well.

Disney has also started releasing obscure stuff like theme park music compilations directly via online stores like iTunes, which is the most practical approach for niche music. Fingers crossed...

InexorableTash

fommes said:
Incidentally, there have been a few recent Young Indy posts at the FSM forum, and I thought that in one of the threads some user (not connected to any of the labels) hinted that there might be something on the horizon, but now that I'm looking for it I can't find the post anymore and I could be very much mistaken.

This thread?

FSM Young Indiana Jones

fommes

Stoo said:
Glady. Nice to hear from you, FOAMS!;)
:D

Stoo said:
That's good to hear, Laird. A bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Though, if everything does eventually get released, it'll render much of our efforts here as a colossal waste of time!:D
I wouldn't be so sure; if they released more music, it would surprise me if they released everything. Plus, there are bound to be alternates?

Speaking about alternates, I was browsing through your lists, and I was wondering what the main title versions were on the laserdisc? Are they edits of the existing soundtrack tracks, or do they contain new material?

lairdo

InexorableTash said:
44 eps with about 30 minutes per, so a max of 18 CDs. Probably less given the frequent re-use.

Not sure about the later movies since I wasn't there, but most episodes had original music for the entire show other than the end credits which were edits. Eps were about 25-30 mins in music.

I think this would likely be 20 discs to make sure episodes weren't spread out too much over disc breaks. A disc costs only a few pennies to replicate. And at 20 discs, it's likely going to come out in four 5-disc sets either as a bit $200+ thing or four individual releases. I think the later is likely so they can test the waters with the first one.

InexorableTash

I still think "they" should skip physical media and just go for downloads. This is just too niche to make any profit.

In other news, I just moved within SF; I now live just one block from the Presidio. My new commute takes me through the Presidio and past the Lucasfilm offices at the Letterman Digital Art Center. If we ever need to knock on physical doors to pull this off, I'm available!

lairdo

InexorableTash said:
I still think "they" should skip physical media and just go for downloads. This is just too niche to make any profit.

The TV and movie specialty labels do not really do digital. Varese does for it's larger releases, but the small stuff usually has caps on the number of discs it can sell. That is hard to manage on iTunes. Given these sets usually sell for $20 each, the cost of goods aspect of physical distribution is absorbed in that higher price. I think we are likely to see physical which to be honest I prefer so that we can control the compression if we rip them.

InexorableTash

We could place bets on which happens first - more Young Indy music is officially released, or the specialty labels like Varese, Intrada, and La La Land, go belly up. Their numbers are already dwindling.

Being forced by the content owners to do limited runs and thus "overcharge" for something that's got a niche audience and is eminently copyable... not a business model I'd invest in. :(

MDew

InexorableTash said:
We could place bets on which happens first - more Young Indy music is officially released, or the specialty labels like Varese, Intrada, and La La Land, go belly up. Their numbers are already dwindling.

Being forced by the content owners to do limited runs and thus "overcharge" for something that's got a niche audience and is eminently copyable... not a business model I'd invest in. :(
Seriously, it makes no sense to me. Something like David Lynch did for all of the Twin Peaks music seems logical:
http://davidlynch.com/index/

phantom train

Yes, I can see if we have to get a series of sets with 4-5 CD's each rather than one monster set with 18-20 CD's - it will be less expensive to have it released in this way (at least in the short run). This is still better than releasing the CD's individually, as has already been done with the 4 existing YIJC soundtracks.

That being said, I would buy a big, monster set with 20 CD's if it were released that way. I hardly ever buy new CD's any more these day, but I would definitely make an exception for a nice YIJC comprehensive soundtrack.

As has been said, however, the window of opportunity to release a set/sets like this is rapidly shrinking. These days, Music CD's in general are already niche, and a set like this would be "niche" niche.

"Music CD's. What are those?" - the response I got recently when I mentioned to someone that I prefer collecting/listening to music on CD, as opposed to digital music.

Last edited:

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
A year ago, I would have bet on the speciality labels going "belly-up" first but Laird's observations about Disney marketing their music gives me hope that will not be the case.

If Disney does release any Young Indy music, would it be on their Buena Vista label?
phantom train said:
"Music CD's. What are those?" - the response I got recently when I mentioned to someone that I prefer collecting/listening to music on CD, as opposed to digital music.
An unfortunate sign-o'-the-times.:( I like your "niche" niche description, phantom. Quite apt.:)

Irfaan

Hi Young, Mid and Old Indy fans! :)

It's been quite some time since I've last logged into these forums, hope everybody's swell, nice to see Stoo around too (as usual ;) )

Obviously there are so many tracks in Young Indy that are not on the CD and are to die for! In fact, I bet there are many personal favourites too.

For instance, the track before the end credits of 'The Winds of Change', where Young Indy has an emotional heart to heart discussion with his Father before leaving to University of Chicago.

The music that comes on here (episode music by Joel McNeely according to www.YoungIndianaJonesMusic.com) is quite simply special for me, I've always loved it, it's one of the things I remember and just think "wow, what a truly amazing show it is" and thus realising why I still hold Indy dear to my heart after all these years.

Today, I really I visited this section, catched up on what gone on (for the last to pages anyway) and I just wanted to hear it again!

So I decided to just go "what the hell" and spend my Friday night ripping it and editing the all the bits and pieces together so it resembles an actual decent-length track more (p.s. was kinda procrastinating too, but hey, saved money on a potential night out! :whip: )

Anyway, I decided to call the track "Departure from Princeton" since it fits well with a lot of the other track titles, and, well, that's kinda what Indy's doing!

I've uploaded it so all you wonderful guys and gals can enjoy it ;-) Tell me what you think, do you remember the scene?

Link: http://www.4shared.com/mp3/WEyPl-QW/Joel_McNeely_-_Departure_From_.html

Have a nice day! :D

InexorableTash

Irfaan said:
Anyway, I decided to call the track "Departure from Princeton" since it fits well with a lot of the other track titles, and, well, that's kinda what Indy's doing!

I've uploaded it so all you wonderful guys and gals can enjoy it ;-) Tell me what you think, do you remember the scene?

I like it! I need to rewatch the episode again - it's not one I have committed to memory. :)

Stoo

fommes said:
Speaking about alternates, I was browsing through your lists, and I was wondering what the main title versions were on the laserdisc? Are they edits of the existing soundtrack tracks, or do they contain new material?
I don't have the laserdiscs but am pretty confident that the music for the main titles would be the same.
Irfaan said:
Hi Young, Mid and Old Indy fans! :)

It's been quite some time since I've last logged into these forums, hope everybody's swell, nice to see Stoo around too (as usual ;) )
Hi, Irfaan. I remember you, so welcome back!:hat:

Thanks for the contribution of your "Departure From Princeton" track!(y) I haven't compared it with the "Winds of Change" yet but your piece is 1 minute longer than the ending of the "Travels With Father" bookends. Where did you grab the extra minute from?:confused:

Irfaan

Stoo said:
I don't have the laserdiscs but am pretty confident that the music for the main titles would be the same.
Hi, Irfaan. I remember you, so welcome back!:hat:

Thanks for the contribution of your "Departure From Princeton" track!(y) I haven't compared it with the "Winds of Change" yet but your piece is 1 minute longer than the ending of the "Travels With Father" bookends. Where did you grab the extra minute from?:confused:

Hey Stoo! :D

I actually got this from the DVD version (I just checked the bookends you were on about, while the music from the scene is there, I noticed the credits song is different as it isn't 'winds of change')

Basically, I recorded less than a minute before Indy approaching his Dad to apologise and then when he departs up until the start of the end credits. Since it was the same-ish tune I merged both tracks together by (painstakingly) trying to find a bit in the song which merges them successfully.

It's entirely different to the 'Winds of Change' track which is used in the credits, though that track is brilliant too!

Man, kinda want to rewatch this episode now, if it wasn't for the fact that I have a deadline next week + may put me in a really mellow mood (it's such an intense episode)

Stoo

From 3 Years Ago...(starting at post #267)

Chuck McKnight said:
Hello all. I'm completely new to this forum, and I'm just kind of jumping in to share a bit of info on the Young Indy soundtracks. I have not read all the way through this thread, but based on the searches I tried I don't think this has been brought up.

This concerns the music played in the Young Indy trailer that was placed at the beginning of some of the Indiana Jones VHS tapes. It took me several years of hunting to finally track down what that was, so I figure that info might be useful if anyone else was trying to find it.

The piece is called "Reach for the Stars" by Richard Harvey from his production music CD called Fantasia (no relation to the Disney Fantasia). It is a fantastic piece of music that I tend to consider to be as much a part of the Indiana Jones world as the official music, even though it was not actually written for Indiana Jones. The rest of the CD and its sequel are excellent as well.

The CDs, being production music, were never released to the public, but they pop up on eBay from time to time. I managed to acquire both Fantasia and Fantasia 2. I'm not exactly sure what the rules here are on this type of thing, so I hope I'm not breaking any, but suffice it to say that if you PM me, I'll help you get a hold of the music. Alternatively, you can listen to low-quality samples online at the following links:

http://www2.playkpmmusic.com/pages/viewcd/viewcd.cfm?cdnum=1926
http://www2.playkpmmusic.com/pages/viewcd/viewcd.cfm?cdnum=1527

I hope this is helpful. :hat:
Chuck, I don't know if you're still here & reading this thread but, not only did you help us Raven-based, Young Indy Soundtrack Enthusiasts three years ago, you've also just helped another fellow fan on YouTube. How? I chose to use "Reach for the Stars" as the opening for my latest series of videos of Young Indy deleted scenes. The other day, this guy wrote me dying to know where the music was from. He's been on a 20 year search to find out the source of the "McDonald's VHS Preview" music and is, now, extremely thankful to have the info (and the track)! So I'm extending his appreciation back to you.:hat:
Chuck McKnight said:
Some other places you might have heard "Reach for the Stars" include the Disney Hercules trailer, The Incredibles Pringles advertisement, and I'm told there's a Star Trek DS9 commercial that uses it. I'm sure there are more places I don't know of.
The same guy said that it was also used in a McDonald's tie-in for "Jurassic Park".
Chuck McKnight said:
Great News! I found the other two pieces that play in the trailer.

They are "Super Hero" and "The Great Endeavour (a)" by Tony Hymas from Landscapes. Unfortunately, I can't provide high quality rips for these, but they are available to listen to from the Web, and they are easy enough to download with the DownloadHelper addon for Firefox.
http://www1.playkpmmusic.com/pages/viewcd/viewcd.cfm?cdnum=1903

I will be keeping an eye out for this on eBay now, and I'll let you all know if I manage to acquire it.

For now, since we have all the pieces, I went ahead and made an edit track for the music as it is heard in the trailer. Some of the edit spots don't sound all that great without the sound effects to cover it, but it's pretty accurate to how it is in the trailer.

Just PM me again if you'd like it. ;)
Holy Moses. I completely forgot about these extras bits!:eek: I'm going to do the same thing as you did and edit everything together into a complete track. (If anyone else has done it already, then please let me know.)

---
Detective work like Chuck's is one of the reasons why The Raven can be such a wonderful place.(y)

Stoo

Princeton, February 1916

I have fully dissected the track, "Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout".(y) The progress sheet has been updated accordingly (but not the main page).

Of the few pieces that we have from this episode, this track covers a lot of ground because its parts are spread over much of the chapter. From Thompson's kidnapping to Indy & Vicky's escape from the oil refinery.

Volume 3 - Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout
0:00-0:51 (0:51) They've Stolen the Plans!
0:52-1:05 (0:13) Here Comes Edison
1:06-2:16 (1:10) Van Hoecht's Poultry Farm
2:17-2:46 (0:29) You Have the Most Beautiful Hands
2:46-3:49 (1:03) The Incandescent Lightbulb
3:50-7:02 (3:12) Escape from the Oil Refinery

Does anyone care to tackle the other 2, remaining tracks from Volume Three: "Princeton Days" and "The Senior Prom"?:confused:

---
Bookends:
(1:13) OPENING: A 1950s rock & roll instrumental with saxophone & piano. (Was this an actual, real-life song or was it written & recorded for the show?:confused: Tash, can you use your magical program to try to identify this tune?)

(0:19) CLOSING: Last 19 seconds of "The Senior Prom" on Volume Three. :gun:

---
Deleted Scenes:
(3:00 approx.) *3 extra minutes* of music cannot be heard on the VHS/DVD release of "Spring Break Adventure" because they are exclusive to the TV broadcast version. (See: Deleted Scenes from "Princeton, 1916")

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
(1:13) OPENING: A 1950s rock & roll instrumental with saxophone & piano. (Was this an actual, real-life song or was it written & recorded for the show?:confused: Tash, can you use your magical program to try to identify this tune?)

No luck with either SoundHound or Shazam. If anyone else wants to give it a try you can hear it at:

It sounds vaguely familiar - like Chuck Berry's backup band. Nothing in the closing credits? (I don't have the broadcast episode so I can't look.)