The Avengers

Sequelcast

I saw The Avengers on opening weekend and really liked it. I've never followed the comics very closely, but was able to follow the story just fine as I've seen the previous 5 Marvel Studios movies leading up to this (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Captain America).

My Mom loved it and she had only ever seen the two Iron Man movies before! The only problem I had with it is that the villain and storyline should have been more involved. I imagine The Avengers 2 will spend less time having to gather the whole team together.

Bjorn Heimdall

I finally had time to see it last night. I expected it to be great but it was actually better than that. One of the very best Superhero movies, for sure. The best thing I can say about it is that I want to see it again, soon.

That extra ending after the first bit of credits had me gasping - but then I am a total Marvel comics fan-man.

I wouldn't mind skipping the 3D thing when I see it next, though. It's pretty good in this film but I'm getting tired of it, in general.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Saw this a few weeks ago, after catching up on the other Marvel films. (I'd only seen Captain America up to that point.)

It was really rather excellent. Sure, it had the usual third act problems inherent to this sort of film, but the character work was great. I haven't been much of a Whedon fan in the past, but given better actors, it seems his dialogue really shines.

I didn't like it that much instead. I'd read literally tons of enthusiastic reviews, a lot of people saying it was by far the best superhero film ever. I walked in with no particularly great expectations, because I've learnt not to trust movie critics, but even so I have to admit it was quite disappointing.

Obviously the special effects are phenomenal, and some sequences are really worth the price of the ticket (especially during the final battle), but as a film per se is rather bad. It's long, but in my opinion everything feels rushed nonetheless. The majority of the characters just don't have screen time, and the setting of the Avengers Assemble is plain poor.
Let's say that if it wasn't for Robert Downey, which is possibly one of the best actors of the last decade or so, this film would be totally forgettable.
Robert Downey, and the post-credits scene with
Thanos
(y)

Overall I think Spider Man 2, Batman Begins and Iron Man 1, are all far superior to this. Watchmen is like 2000000000 times better, and it's even a direct competitor, because it's a movie about a superheroes team itself.
Don't know. It just left me pretty indifferent.

roundshort

Howdy,
Not to be negative, I really didn't dig this flick. They should have just called Superheros fixing a big flying battleship. I have ha pretty much all the Sameul Jackson I can take, and am over any superhero movies.

Just me, and my take. Nothing more to see with this post...

Dr.Jonesy

Very well done, not sure what else I can add.

Although, nobody is talking about Mark Ruffalo! He stole the show in my opinion. Very brilliantly played, he seemed so sad inside and there was just something about him...he was the best Bruce Banner yet and originally I was ticked as hell they replaced Norton.

Ruffalo was awesome!

Stoo

roundshort said:
Howdy,
Not to be negative, I really didn't dig this flick. They should have just called Superheros fixing a big flying battleship. I have ha pretty much all the Sameul Jackson I can take, and am over any superhero movies.

Just me, and my take. Nothing more to see with this post...
FINALLY, A VOICE OF REASON! (Though, Roundie, you do get struck down a notch in the ladder for paying ca$h to see this bullsh!t in the theatre.:p )

Why all the superhero love on an Indiana Jones forum?:confused: If you're between the ages of 5 to 15, the super-hero attraction can be understood but, c'mon, what is wrong with most of you people?:confused:

The only AVENGERS worth paying attention to...do NOT have silly, 'super powers'!

tumblr_lmj28y9PTU1qgnxjzo1_400.jpg

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
The only AVENGERS worth paying attention to...do NOT have silly, 'super powers'!

I have as much genre blindness as anybody, Stoo, but a decent script is a decent script. The powers aren't the interesting part of the film. The characters are. A.O. Scott's Rio Bravo comparison isn't all that wrong.

Stoo said:

tumblr_lmj28y9PTU1qgnxjzo1_400.jpg

I agree. Emma would waste ScarJo.

While the Marvel Avengers had plenty of fun for summer movie fare, I can honestly say that it's not gonna have much replay value for me. It's overlong...way too long to get to the payoff. The payoff is decent, but worth having to sit thru some truly terrible individual superhero movies? Not for me. Robert Downey Jr and the first Iron Man movie carried this picture.

indyclone25

i heard on ''the feed"' on ''Attack of the show"' today that a rumored re-release of the ''marvel's Avengers will be out in August. it will be a director's cut and will be 3 hrs long.
it is not a money grabbing scheme, but josh whedon's original vision of the movie, that he wanted to be seen.
whether it will be also on the bluray is to be seen. right not it is just a rumor .:D

roundshort

indyclone25 said:
i heard on ''the feed"' on ''Attack of the show"' today that a rumored re-release of the ''marvel's Avengers will be out in August. it will be a director's cut and will be 3 hrs long.
it is not a money grabbing scheme, but josh whedon's original vision of the movie, that he wanted to be seen.
whether it will be also on the bluray is to be seen. right not it is just a rumor .:D

Yes, it is an extra 40 minutes when Captain America's motorcycle breaks down and The Hulk and Thor fix it... for 35 mintues while Iron Man's in suit espresso makers boiler is on the fritz....

indyclone25 said:

i bet its more boring Hawkeye, ScarJo, or Shield scenes

kongisking

featofstrength said:
i bet its more boring Hawkeye, ScarJo, or Shield scenes

Ya know, some people would see this as cause for rejoice, as it would be giving more depth to those particular characters.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Have you seen the animated "Ultimate Avengers" movies? They're excellent. If the actual film is half as cool, we're in for some awesomeness.

Now I have.

Just watched Ultimate Avengers and UA: Rise of the Panther. While not up to the level of the comics in terms of artwork and depth of story, they're definitely a step in the right direction.

Watching the second one gave me a feeling of old school meeting new school. Wakanda reminded me of the lost cities that appeared in the Tarzan cartoons.

They were both good films, and not having seen the live action Avengers movie, but being familiar with the Hot Toys action figures, I was sensing this was the storyline that gave rise to it.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
Now I have.

Just watched Ultimate Avengers and UA: Rise of the Panther. While not up to the level of the comics in terms of artwork and depth of story, they're definitely a step in the right direction.

Watching the second one gave me a feeling of old school meeting new school. Wakanda reminded me of the lost cities that appeared in the Tarzan cartoons.

They were both good films, and not having seen the live action Avengers movie, but being familiar with the Hot Toys action figures, I was sensing this was the storyline that gave rise to it.

This movie made me hope that Panther will become an Avenger in the near future.

Glad you finally caught it, Smiffy. Now, on to the live-action film! :hat:

Montana Smith

kongisking said:

Sometime this year, as I have a Hulk ordered. He's big, but not as big as this:

35445_10151321610942285_893013523_n.jpg

Now that's a Hulk problem right out of the Ultimates!

Montana Smith

Having never watched them all before, I'm currently on a Buffy/Angel marathon. And therefore probably one of the last to pick up on the following bit of trivia!

In Buffy Season 4, Episode 1, "The Freshman" (1999), written and directed by Joss Whedon, Xander speaks the line, "Avengers assemble!"

Still not seen the movie yet, but will have that big green moron nevertheless!

Montana Smith

kongisking said:

A friend leant me the Blu-ray.

Watched the first thirty minutes, and this is the biggest highlight:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d4wN1KfMgBY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The only highlights so far involve Tony Stark (and dialogue with Pepper). And Black Widow for inventive use of a chair.

I liked the fact that Rogers questioned using his uniform. Because he looks like a complete ***** while wearing it!

WW2 Cap in combats as GI Steve could get away with it. The best movie interpretation so far.

Montana Smith

Well, at least I can cross that one off the list.

Robert Downey Jr. was the Harrison Ford of Avengers Assemble. Meaning that for most of the time he was the only thing worth watching and the only thing saving it from complete collapse.

At least his character had the good sense not to take it too seriously. There were a few other self-effacing lines spoken by other characters, which alluded to the costumed freak show.

When the film attempts to be earnest, with swelling music and misplaced seriousness, it just becomes ridiculous for the wrong reasons.

Best bits were some of the dialogue. Worst bits a lot of the obligatory action sequences.

There was also some very dodgy CGI. Times when the illusion breaks down, first notably so with Iron Man underwater. The Hulk didn't even blend in very well.

None of this glut of Marvel movies has been that good, apart from the first Iron Man.

If it's The Punisher, "Make Mine Marvel!"

If not, I'll stick to DC!