What year should Indy 5 be set?

DoomsdayFAN

I assume this'll be set in the 60s, though I'm not sure if they're gonna jump forward in real time (11 years since the last adventure - which would make it 1968) or if they'll only jump forward a few (so 1961-1965).

Indy and Hippies. Never thought I'd see the day.

As for KOTCS, it wasn't '50s enough for my taste.

Raiders90

Stoo said:
1949? :confused: Only 8 minutes before in another thread, you said, "I don't feel he fits in the 1940s".
:D Instead of 3-D glasses at the cinemas, they could hand out foggy goggles.
Indeed. Not only is a prequel to "Skull" (with H.Ford) out of reach by now, it's not on the table for the next movie.

I would've preferred Indy to stay in the early 20th century before 1940. But that's not possible given Ford's age so we have to make do with what we're given.

Glenville86 said:
I might have read it here or on another forum where the idea of Indy in the sixties for the setting but adding flashbacks to adventures when he was younger. That way, the audience can be introduced to a replacement for Ford (younger Ford) and have more Indy movies with the new actor but based in the past.
This option would be so logical, it could be something close to TLC introduction but instead of seing Indy young, we would see him old (well like Harrison Ford?), and the rest of the adventure would be Indy Young with a new actor. We know that for Han Solo, Disney had no scruples to cast a new actor, so if they want other stories, they won't have any choice.
So to answer initial question, I would say an introduction scene somewhere in the 60s, and the main story in the 20s or the 30s:p

Pale Horse

Staff member
davidgribouille said:
We know that for Han Solo, Disney had no scruples to cast a new actor, so if they want other stories, they won't have any choice.

Don't throw reason or logic into this, this is the Internet. Wild Speculation and opinion are king.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Don't throw reason or logic into this, this is the Internet. Wild Speculation and opinion are king.

Though this is mostly splitting the difference; it's logical to speculate about the possibility, though arguably the <I>Han Solo</I> approach indicates they'll wait for a wholesale recast. <I>The Godfather Part II</I> gets mentioned as a possible model, but it's able to work because the movie is 3 hours and 20 minutes long, something Indy just can't sustain without exerting way too much gravitational pull on the rest of the series. There's lots of room to play around with the formula, but upping the length to 150% or more of the first 4 seems like maybe too much of a switch to the format.

Anyway, I'm thinking 1964 has a nice sound to it, and has the benefit of being the release year of one of Indy's clearest, acknowledged progenitors:

that-man-from-rio-movie-poster-1964-1020205003.jpg

Raiders90

Attila the Professor said:
Anyway, I'm thinking 1964 has a nice sound to it, and has the benefit of being the release year of one of Indy's clearest, acknowledged progenitors:

that-man-from-rio-movie-poster-1964-1020205003.jpg

If we're going to go with '64, what do you think of one of the following nods/winks to the period:

-Perhaps some chase scene or something involving the 1964 NY World's Fair?

-A mention somewhere of the first satellite, which went up in August '64 - With respect to the line of thought going back to Belloq which subtly connects God to technology (IE the Ark as a "a transmitter, a radio, for speaking to God.")

-A subtle wink/nod/homage to Goldfinger, which came out that year as well? Given that James Bond was called the 'spiritual father of Indiana Jones' by the Beards? Perhaps even something as subtle as the Chinese Communists being the villains (Goldfinger's allies/backers were Asian communists from an unspecified country.)

-1960s style gangsters. You know, the stereotypical, "Eh, what's the big idea here?" gangsters you see in films and tv from the early-mid 1960s. Ala the Gangsters in Goldfinger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5cEmDMrd8

-Reference of some sort to the Twilight Zone (I don't mean a spoken reference - perhaps a visual reference to something from one of the episodes) or a spooky, feverish tone similar to the Twilight Zone. This could tie in with the talked about Haunted Castle idea.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
If we're going to go with '64, what do you think of one of the following nods/winks to the period:

-Perhaps some chase scene or something involving the 1964 NY World's Fair?

If they do anything in the States, which I largely hope they don't, I think this could be a suitable thing to do.

Raiders112390 said:
-A mention somewhere of the first satellite, which went up in August '64 - With respect to the line of thought going back to Belloq which subtly connects God to technology (IE the Ark as a "a transmitter, a radio, for speaking to God.")

Great if thematically appropriate, but if I recall correctly, they skipped mention of Sputnik when it was thematically, temporally, and adversarially appropriate in KotCS, so maybe they're not interested.

Raiders112390 said:
-A subtle wink/nod/homage to Goldfinger, which came out that year as well? Given that James Bond was called the 'spiritual father of Indiana Jones' by the Beards? Perhaps even something as subtle as the Chinese Communists being the villains (Goldfinger's allies/backers were Asian communists from an unspecified country.)

I'd take it, but subtly if at all. Ask me again tomorrow, when I might hate this, but I could enjoy an exchange like "That's harder to get into than Fort Knox!" "You'd be surprised."

Raiders112390 said:
-1960s style gangsters. You know, the stereotypical, "Eh, what's the big idea here?" gangsters you see in films and tv from the early-mid 1960s. Ala the Gangsters in Goldfinger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5cEmDMrd8

I think organized crime's best time for inclusion might have been the 30s-50s, but it's conceivable. Again, though, I'd rather them not be in the States at all.

Raiders112390 said:
-Reference of some sort to the Twilight Zone (I don't mean a spoken reference - perhaps a visual reference to something from one of the episodes) or a spooky, feverish tone similar to the Twilight Zone. This could tie in with the talked about Haunted Castle idea.

Tonally, it's a great thing to draw on. I'd argue there might already be some Serling-style morality at work in the poetic justice of the villain's deaths, most especially Donovan's and Spalko's.

Raiders90

Attila the Professor said:
If they do anything in the States, which I largely hope they don't, I think this could be a suitable thing to do.

Great if thematically appropriate, but if I recall correctly, they skipped mention of Sputnik when it was thematically, temporally, and adversarially appropriate in KotCS, so maybe they're not interested.

I'd take it, but subtly if at all. Ask me again tomorrow, when I might hate this, but I could enjoy an exchange like "That's harder to get into than Fort Knox!" "You'd be surprised."

I think organized crime's best time for inclusion might have been the 30s-50s, but it's conceivable. Again, though, I'd rather them not be in the States at all.

Tonally, it's a great thing to draw on. I'd argue there might already be some Serling-style morality at work in the poetic justice of the villain's deaths, most especially Donovan's and Spalko's.

Do we have a thread on WHERE Indy V should be set? I'd be interested in hearing yours and other views about that.

It's funny to think, by the way, that we might see Indy in the 1960s. We've truly come a long way, haven't we?

Raiders90

Since we've had homages to 1930s musicals (TOD's opening) and the 1950s (KOTCS' opening), I'm thinking....What if we get a musical reference both to the '60s AND James Bond in the same gasp.

Picture,

The mountain dissolves into a real mountain far in the background, and for a moment, there's ambient (soundtrack) music - dark, moody, tense - then slowly, THREE BLIND MICE by Kingston Calypso* fades in. TITLE. We get shots of cars, people walking on the streets, buildings, a sort of montage, etc, set to this. It's clear we're in the early 1960s from the way the women are dressed. As we pull to a seedy, rough looking BAR, the music fades to the score.

"JAMAICA, 1964."

And of course, Indy's inside that bar, making a transaction with some rather unsavory types, a throwback to TOD.

*= The first song ever heard in a James Bond film.

WilliamBoyd8

Raiders112390,

Have you seen the 1953 film "City Beneath the Sea"?

It is set in Jamaica and is about deep-sea divers Robert Ryan and Anthony Quinn looking for a treasure ship.

Much of the film is set in a Jamaica bar where Robert and Anthony pursue a lady boat captain and the club's singer.

Some of the film appears to have been shot on location and there are many scenes of people walking the streets of Kingston.

:)

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
Since we've had homages to 1930s musicals (TOD's opening) and the 1950s (KOTCS' opening), I'm thinking....What if we get a musical reference both to the '60s AND James Bond in the same gasp.

Picture,

The mountain dissolves into a real mountain far in the background, and for a moment, there's ambient (soundtrack) music - dark, moody, tense - then slowly, THREE BLIND MICE by Kingston Calypso* fades in. TITLE. We get shots of cars, people walking on the streets, buildings, a sort of montage, etc, set to this. It's clear we're in the early 1960s from the way the women are dressed. As we pull to a seedy, rough looking BAR, the music fades to the score.

"JAMAICA, 1964."

And of course, Indy's inside that bar, making a transaction with some rather unsavory types, a throwback to TOD.

*= The first song ever heard in a James Bond film.
I hope Disney stay clear of any Lucas-like film genre/decade reference.

But if they do choose to go for that approach, I'd expect them to be a bit more subtle.

Face_Melt

Z dweller said:

But if they do choose to go for that approach, I'd expect them to be a bit more subtle.

You hope they stay away from the essence of an Indiana Jones film when making the next Indiana Jones film?

Not gonna happen.

Z dweller

Face_Palm said:
You hope they stay away from the essence of an Indiana Jones film when making the next Indiana Jones film?
The essence of Indiana Jones is a homage to 40s serials with an action hero in his prime, not a 60s spy story led by an old man.

The artifacts should be ancient, not the main character.

But since Disney chose to give Ford a last outing, at least I hope they place the action in surroundings that minimize the visual impact of the passing of time (anctartica, jungle, desert etc).

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
Do we have a thread on WHERE Indy V should be set? I'd be interested in hearing yours and other views about that.

It's funny to think, by the way, that we might see Indy in the 1960s. We've truly come a long way, haven't we?

Not a dedicated thread, until now.

Face_Melt

Z dweller said:
The essence of Indiana Jones is a homage to 40s serials with an action hero in his prime, not a 60s spy story led by an old man.

But since Disney chose to give Ford a last outing, at least I hope they place the action in surroundings that minimize the visual impact of the passing of time (anctartica, jungle, desert etc).

Indiana Jones is based in the decade of films that particular film is set in. The first 3 being set in the 30's are based on the serials of that decade. The 4th set in the 50's being based on the sci-if films the 50's are known for. To do something completely different for the 5th film wouldn't follow the series formula and wouldn't be an Indiana Jones film.

Also, nobody has said this is Harrison's last film. You pulled that right out of your ass.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:

It can still be a homage to 40s serials even if they make reference to the fact it's a different time. The prologue to LC worked despite it being very 1912, didn't it?

TOD, LC and KOTCS have made a precedent for showing the passage of time - the time period - the films take place in. I mean TOD opens with a 1930s musical number. You have all the 1930s cars and the Jazz on the 1930s record player in Elsa's apartment. The very presence of the Nazis themselves plant you squarely in the 1930s and 1940s.

To act as if Jones has never been dependent on the time and place in which he is in, to greater or lesser degrees, is foolish. They are all period pieces of different places and different times in their own little ways. Since we are probably moving into the 1960s, I would like to see nods to that period thrown in, just more cleverly than KOTCS handled the 1950s.

Z dweller said:

You realize that the opening of TOD - complete with a 3 minute long 1930s song and dance routine - was all Spielberg's idea, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
It can still be a homage to 40s serials even if they make reference to the fact it's a different time.
Look, we are talking about personal preferences here.

For me, Indy belongs in the 1920s and 30s.
KOTCS was already a stretch as far as I am concerned, and a poorly implemented one at that.

IMO, there is a limit to how far forward in time you can push any character, before they start losing their original charm, if not their identity.

I know there are people here who cream their pants at the thought of an octuagenarian Ford/Indy partnering with Tony Manero to defeat a gang of evil disco thuggees. I respect their view, but frankly I couldn't care less.

Face_Melt

Raiders112390 said:
It can still be a homage to 40s serials even if they make reference to the fact it's a different time. The prologue to LC worked despite it being very 1912, didn't it?

The 1912 opening scene is not a reference to 30's or 40's pulp serial films. It's a reference to early films such as The Great Train Robbery.