Plot hypotesis based on Harrison's costume

Professor Jones

I've just found a photo that probably you all know, but that I didn't noticed before:

http://www.indyjones.it/nuovosito/Immagini/Film/Indy4/professor.jpg

That made me reflect about the several elegant clothes that Indy wears in this incoming episode.

1. During the motorcycle chase he wears brown trousers with a grey jacket with red tie on.

2. In the teaching scene (you can see a little clip in the video from the official site that shows part of the shooting in New Haven) he wears a white shirt with subtle black stripes, without vest and without suspenders, with a dark red bowtie.

3. In the toast scene for the end of the production (in the "that's a wrap!" video) he wears bowtie on a light-blue shirt WITH suspenders.

4. In the photo above, he wears a kakhi dress with vest in the Henry Jones Sr. style.

That made me make some hypothesis.

The University scene must be at least two, set in two different days and probably set in two different Universities, one of whom surely is Marshall college. That depends from the fact that he cannot wear in the same scene contemporarily bowtie and normal tie.

We must also remind that there should be a train-station scene (the Essex scene, in the station renamed "Bedford"). That leads me to think that, if Indy must use a train in this movie, will not certainly be to go to South America, but to move from a town to another in Connecticut or in the U.S.A. It could b e that he goes from his Marshall College to Yale, where is colleague Jim Broadbent is, or something like that....

During the teaching scene he could have get off his vest and his jacket, so he could have remained just in his shirt, so the scene with the complete dress and the teaching one could be in the same contest.

But there should be at least a third scene: the one with suspenders on, since the shirt it's different: it's light-blue. Given that in that moment of the video, he's sorrounded by an elegant Shia (with tie too) and an also elegant John Hurt (differently from other clips where he seems in really dirty and wrecked clothes) I propend for the thesis that that could be the final scene, when we see all the characters gathered around in elegant clothes (an academic ceremony, a feast of "adieu" for Indy's retirement, a - God forbid! - wedding scene, Indy's promotion as chairman.... I don't know...).

Any ideas?

I think it's a certainty that the final scene will be some sort of ceremony, complete with a cameo, probably Capshaw.

tocksic

I think your hypothesis is not bad. I also was thinking that there can't be only a few "college"-scenes (including the motorbike-chase) on ONE day in the movie.

Professor Jones

oki9Sedo said:
Yes - you have way too much time on your hands, mate.

That doesn't sound so worthy said by one that opened 51 thread and has a media of 2,39 posts per day, does it? :rolleyes:

Anyway I guess the time one spend writing a post depends from the quickness of thinking and typing. :whip:

Just joking, anyway it's curious such irony, considered the amount of thesis and hypothesis that circulate in this forum.

nitzsche

That's great information to process. I guess I hadn't realized how many varying costumes he had during the shooting. Now that we know we will be visiting Indy's house in KOTCS, it makes since that we will be treated to several scenes of him at Marshall or Yale before he goes off to Mexico and S. America.

I wonder if perhaps we'll have a very different first half of KOTCS than we all expect.

Indy4fan

It would be nice if it ends like Return of the Jedi-- Wideshot of everyone--

LOL, then Harrison looks at--

Henry Jones' and Abner's Ghost.

Wilhelm

Maybe the scene from the wrap video and the teaching scene are from the same sequence in the story. In both of them Indy wears a bowtie.

During rehearsals actors could get part of their clothes off (Jacket and suspenders?) because of heat.

But one of the extras in the classroom scene said that "It's the opening scene of the movie. Harrison Ford is teaching a class and he hears some noise outside, which turns to be an anti-Communist rally, and he goes out to investigate and he recognizes one of his old rivals from one of the other movies and he jumps on a motorcycle and ends up being chased by some guys on a car." (Lauren Dunn in The New York Observer)

This seems to be the same scene but Harrison wears bowtie in one and a normal tie in the other... The extra only watched the action inside the classroom and maybe she tought that this was the same action scene.

Last edited:

oki9Sedo

Professor Jones said:
That doesn't sound so worthy said by one that opened 51 thread and has a media of 2,39 posts per day, does it?

Ah now, I never opened one on deducing the plot of an upcoming film based on the different costumes the actors are wearing in different photos. Any threads I opened were either to start interesting discussions or for the sake of a bit of light humour!

In any case, you're going to actually know the film from beginning to end if you carry on trying to piece everything together like this. You've been waiting for this for years.....is that what you actually want?

Professor Jones

oki9Sedo said:
Ah now, I never opened one on deducing the plot of an upcoming film based on the different costumes the actors are wearing in different photos.

That automatically makes every post like that unworthy?

oki9Sedo said:
In any case, you're going to actually know the film from beginning to end if you carry on trying to piece everything together like this. You've been waiting for this for years.....is that what you actually want?

And do you really care about what I really want and how I like to spend my time? ;) Thanks, you really care about me! ehehehe

Come on, just speculation! Take it as fun!(y) You know far too well that it isn't true that "trying to piece everything together" does not means getting "know the film from the beginning", since as far as one can conjecturate his deduction can always be way too wrong. Anyway you're still free not to partecipate to my speculation, if you find it spoilerish or unworthy, as long as you're obviously free to express your opinion and I am free to express mine! ;)

Last edited: