Blu-ray vs HD DVD

Indy's brother

Spieberg confirms Jaws Blu-ray in the works

He also had this to say about how he plans to approach all of his films to be re-released in HD, whichever they may be:

(In the future) there's going to be no more digital enhancements or digital additions to anything based on any film I direct. I'm not going to do any corrections digitally to even wires that show... If 1941 comes on Blu-ray I'm not going to go back and take the wires out because the Blu-ray will bring the wires out that are guiding the airplane down Hollywood Blvd. At this point right now I think letting movies exist in the era, with all the flaws and all of the flourishes, is a wonderful way to mark time and mark history.
Link

Being the cynical bastard that I am, after reading this I immediately wondered if this was part of the hold up on Indy coming to Blu-ray. Lucas' need to tinker, and Steven's newfound staunch stance on purity (guess he heard about how most people thought of E.T.'s "improvements"). Oh, to be a fly on the wall for THAT conversation!

michael

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Thanks for the link, Indy's Brother. Fantastic news.

mmm can't wait for the box art/packaging, should be glorious.

The Man

Stevie plans to spoil us rotten this year...

Universal has confirmed to The Digital Bits that the Jurassic Park trilogy will be coming to Blu-ray later this year. There is no official street date or info on the set's contents yet, but it is slated to arrive in time for the holidays.

TheMutt92

A Blu-Ray set 65 million years in the making...

http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/ZZ2A095224.jpg

ALL-NEW BONUS FEATURES ON BLU-RAY™ & DVD

“Return to Jurassic Park” – this six-part documentary features all-new interviews with the many of the cast members from all three films, the filmmakers and Steven Spielberg.
Dawn of a New Era
Making Pre-history
The Next Step in Evolution
Finding The Lost World
Something Survived
The Third Adventure
ADDITIONAL FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY™

BD-LIVE™ – Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to watch exclusive content, the latest trailers, and more!
MY SCENES: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the film.
pocket BLU™: The groundbreaking pocket BLU™ app uses iPad®, iPhone®, iPod® touch, Android™, PC and Mac® to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray™ player. Plus iPad® owners can enjoy a new, enhanced edition of pocket BLU™ made especially to take advantage of the tablet’s larger screen and high resolution display. Consumers will be able to browse through a library of Blu-ray™ content and watch entertaining extras on-the-go in a way that’s bigger and better than ever before. pocket BLU™ offers advanced features such as:
ADVANCED REMOTE CONTROL: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
VIDEO TIMELINE: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
MOBILE-TO-GO: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
BROWSE TITLES: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
KEYBOARD: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.

The following bonus features also appear on the both the Blu-ray™ and DVD:

The Making of Jurassic Park
The Making of The Lost World: Jurassic Park
The Making of Jurassic Park III
Steven Spielberg Directs Jurassic Park
Early Pre-Production Meetings
The World of Jurassic Park
The Magic of Industrial Light & Magic
Location Scouting
Phil Tippett Animatics: Raptors In The Kitchen
The Jurassic Park Phenomenon: A Discussion with Author Michael Crichton
Industrial Light & Magic and Jurassic Park: Before and After The Visual Effects
Industrial Light & Magic and The Lost World: Jurassic Park Before & After
The Industrial Light & Magic Press Reel A Visit to Industrial Light & Magic
Hurricane in Kauai Featurette
Dinosaur Turntables
The Dinosaurs of Jurassic Park III
Montana: Finding New Dinosaurs
Animatics: T-Rex Attack
The Special Effects of Jurassic Park III
The Sounds of Jurassic Park III
The Art of Jurassic Park III
Tour of Stan Winston Studio
Feature Commentary with Special Effects Team
Production Archives: Storyboards, Models, Photographs, Design Sketches and Conceptual Drawings
Deleted Scenes
Theatrical Trailers
And MORE!

Last edited by a moderator:

Goonie

TheMutt92 said:
A Blu-Ray set 65 million years in the making...

It sure feels like it. There better be In Memoriam tributes for Michael Crichton and Stan Winston on there.

The Man

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eCzKA7cjFLY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Dr. Gonzo

Just wanted to let everyone know that the ALIEN blu-ray is the best high def transfer I have ever seen.

All right. Carry on.

AndyLGR

Dr. Gonzo said:
Just wanted to let everyone know that the ALIEN blu-ray is the best high def transfer I have ever seen.

All right. Carry on.
Thats good to know because one of the things that has put me off replacing films I like on bu ray has been the quality of the transfer, Die Hard for example I've read poor reports of on blu ray. I'm interested in getting some older movies too like the Connery Bonds on blu ray too. But also I wonder what will happen with older movies going back to the ealing comedy era or the Hitchcock movies, if these would be remastered in any way for a blu ray release or if they will just be a straight transfer of the dvd editions.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Movies Anywhere vs UltraViolet

A quieter battle has been raging, over what to do with those digital copy code slips that come with your Blu-ray. UltraViolet had a head start but is losing support to Disney's Movies Anywhere. I had a stack of codes and finally sat down at my computer to type them in. Fortunately none of the expiration dates were a problem. MA is the cloud-based digital locker to use. Even if you've added movies before to some other platform like Vudu, you can connect these retailers to your MA account. Then your digital collection should pop up on iTunes, Prime, or wherever. Forever? Who knows, I like discs and this still seems sort of ephemeral to me. But studios must consider the codes valuable because Disney is suing Redbox for selling the codes that come with the discs they buy.

AndyLGR

Its still quite noticeable that even though blu ray has been around for a long time now that it just isn't as widely available or maybe even as popular as dvds. The sections within all the mainstream stores where I live are nowhere near as big as those of dvds.

Face_Melt

Its still quite noticeable that even though blu ray has been around for a long time now that it just isn't as widely available or maybe even as popular as dvds. The sections within all the mainstream stores where I live are nowhere near as big as those of dvds.
Which is weird because you can’t even buy a standard definition tv anymore.

Why anyone would buy a high def tv, or a 4K tv and put standard definition disks into it is beyond me.

AndyLGR

Which is weird because you can’t even buy a standard definition tv anymore.

Why anyone would buy a high def tv, or a 4K tv and put standard definition disks into it is beyond me.
Exactly my thoughts. Maybe its cost? In the UK a new dvd is approx £10, whilst a new blu ray is roughly £15, whilst 4k blu rays are around the £20+ mark.

Of course all titles are still available to buy online, but instore and I'm talking the big retailers like HMV and the big supermarket chains) their blu ray sections are nowhere near as big as the dvd sections.