Compatible Indiana Jones Shirt

Sea Monarch

Hi fellow Raiders, been meaning to post about this for awhile now. I know there are a few threads already about the Indy shirt, but they seem to be either very specific (such as the Wested shirt), or very vague, so I wanted to start this as an inbetween thread that is specifically about finding a shirt that is a match, or near match, for the long sleeve style shirt we often see Indy wearing on his adventures, but is not limited to one specific brand.

The shirt I am recommending at the moment is one that I am very pleased with, and can highly reccomend, as it looks great, and has held up well. It is the Elkhorn shirt model produced by Eddie Bauer sometime around 1999-2000. It was available longsleeve, and I reccomend the Sandstone color, as that appears to be the closest match.

The buttons are plastic, and match the color of the shirt. It is not technically screen accurate in that it does not have the shoulder "plackets" that, if I remember correctly offhand, were on Harrison Ford's shirt. Also a detour from the original, it has an additional mini velcro closed pocket on one of the sleeves. This pocket however is very subtle, not distracting at all, and rather handy.

But in keeping with screen accuracy, the cut and color are very comparable. And best of all, it has two front upper breast pockets with button down flaps, and pocket plackets! Try saying that three times fast! It also has a slight double pleat, midway up the back, and a discreet hanging loop at the top of said back pleat.

Obviously not completely screen accurate, but pretty darn close for an off the rack shirt. I remember Eddie Bauer, either only having one of my (normal) size in, or only having enough money for one at the time.
Around that time I bought two or three other Khaki longsleeve shirts there, but they weren't nearly as close to the Indy Elkhorn shirt. I came in a few months later to try to buy more, but they were out of season.

I have always meant to track more down, but never got around to doing it yet. I almost hesitated to mention these fine shirts, so that I wouldn't have to risk others buying up what few may remain out there. Couple years later, I think I saw the new EB Elkhorn shirts, and didn't like them as well, due to them not looking like Indy shirts. Always wondered if EB ever made anything as close, or closer again.

Don't have a way to post pictures at the moment. Maybe down the line. Meanwhile, happy hunting!

P.S. Please anybody, let me know if you find a place that has, or can get these. Thanks

micsteam

Basically it's what do you want to spend ?? If you want a close enough that's one thing but if you want a pretty accurate, if not spot on, for a good price then What Price Glory is your shirt. I beleive it's around $50.00 USD and if you compare to the others that aren't specific to the Indy design like Cabella's, Eddie Baurer, LL Bean, etc. you're in the price range of $25.00-$50.00 anyway. The finicky part of this, I belong to another Indiana Jones forum that is more about the finer details to Indy's costumes, is some say the fabric isn't as thin/correct as the actual film shirts (specifically Raiders) but I have been a collector of military uniforms from both Birtish and U.S. services over the years and this is the correct fabric that if Indy bought military surplus (which the films hint at) or from a safari supplier of the time then it is correct. Great shirt, good price, my opinion this is your shirt. Good luck and I hope this helps ;)

Sea Monarch

micsteam said:
Basically it's what do you want to spend ?? If you want a close enough that's one thing but if you want a pretty accurate, if not spot on, for a good price then What Price Glory is your shirt. I beleive it's around $50.00 USD and if you compare to the others that aren't specific to the Indy design like Cabella's, Eddie Baurer, LL Bean, etc. you're in the price range of $25.00-$50.00 anyway. The finicky part of this, I belong to another Indiana Jones forum that is more about the finer details to Indy's costumes, is some say the fabric isn't as thin/correct as the actual film shirts (specifically Raiders) but I have been a collector of military uniforms from both Birtish and U.S. services over the years and this is the correct fabric that if Indy bought military surplus (which the films hint at) or from a safari supplier of the time then it is correct. Great shirt, good price, my opinion this is your shirt. Good luck and I hope this helps ;)

Thanks, I appreciate the recommendation. I had read about the What Price Glory shirt on previous posts, and I was already interested in giving them a try, when I'm ready to spend the money. But I didn't remember what the going price on them was said to be, so your reminder helps. To me, it's worth an extra 10 dollars for a more accurate match, as is probably the case here, so I definately plan to pick some up.

I still plan to try the Wested, and whichever one was designed originally for the movie. Btw, in my early searches on the internet (back in 2000), I seem to remember a site specifically created with pictures, and contact info about where to purchase, screen accurate fedora's, shirts, and bullwhips from the original shops/tailors/artisans that made these items for the movies. Any idea if that site still exists?
Perhaps it was this site, years ago. I know there is much of that info available in these threads.

Also wondering, if you don't mind my asking, which other Indy forum you are referring to.

To clarify about my earlier post, even though I know where some more screen authentic shirts are, I still wondered if anybody knew of a site that still sells old left over inventory,such as this previous EB model, as I would still enjoy purchasing more of these.

And further clarifying, I didn't start this thread to just list any generic, L.L. Bean khaki shirt, but rather as a thread to recommend shirts from any company, that are tremendously comparable to Indy's shirt, and haven't been mentioned elsewhere.

Thanks micsteam, for all your helpful info. Btw, is your name a steampunk reference?

Last edited:

mini-inferno

Alternative Indy Jones shirts.

Hi Sea Monarch,
Just read your posting and I went with Micsteam's recommendation and bought myself a WPG Indy shirt and it's brilliant. Only had it a couple of weeks and its breaking in nicely. The fits superb, not baggy, quite form-fitting and the colour is very ROTLA. However, if your are after an alternative to the Indy shirt, then, have a look at the Karrimor shirts. I live in England, so I buy them from my local sports shops. These Karrimor shirts are almost exactly like the Elkhorn shirts you describe. They don't the epaulettes, but have the loop on the yoke and they are a dark, rich Khaki, have hidden, zipped security pockets, straps for retaining rolled up sleeves and a fold up collar for sun protection. The pockets, though are just like the Indy shirt with the centre pleat. I have two - one with spf sun protection, the other is a mosi- with mosquito repellent. They are exellent shirts, you'll be stunned by the quality. I am about a 40" chest and their medium sizes fit me perfectly. Check out their website. They are a British company, but they ship to the US for very reasonable prices. I'm sure if Indy was adventuring in the modern age, he'd be wearing one of these Karrimor explorer shirts.

Exulted Unicron

I went and got myself a proper surplus British Army shirt in stone/khaki. It's worked wonders and looks fantastic. I got mine cheap, I ended up paying around £5 per shirt

SHIRT-BRITISH-STONE.jpg

indywannabbe

mini-inferno said:
Hi Sea Monarch,
Just read your posting and I went with Micsteam's recommendation and bought myself a WPG Indy shirt and it's brilliant. Only had it a couple of weeks and its breaking in nicely. The fits superb, not baggy, quite form-fitting and the colour is very ROTLA. However, if your are after an alternative to the Indy shirt, then, have a look at the Karrimor shirts. I live in England, so I buy them from my local sports shops. These Karrimor shirts are almost exactly like the Elkhorn shirts you describe. They don't the epaulettes, but have the loop on the yoke and they are a dark, rich Khaki, have hidden, zipped security pockets, straps for retaining rolled up sleeves and a fold up collar for sun protection. The pockets, though are just like the Indy shirt with the centre pleat. I have two - one with spf sun protection, the other is a mosi- with mosquito repellent. They are exellent shirts, you'll be stunned by the quality. I am about a 40" chest and their medium sizes fit me perfectly. Check out their website. They are a British company, but they ship to the US for very reasonable prices. I'm sure if Indy was adventuring in the modern age, he'd be wearing one of these Karrimor explorer shirts.

Yes I checked out some of their shirts. But beige was the wrong colour really.
But also ive checked out craghoppers and bought myself an kiwi long sleeved shirt in an oatmeal colour which online looks ok. Look forward to receiving it.

Spectre

Long ago, I purchased a few Belgian Army khaki shirts that were very close.
Can't remember the website. They were cheap, too--about $5.00 each. It was some sort of surplus site. I'll see if I can find it again...if they are still around.