Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

kongisking

Walecs said:
Gee, I'm so tired of Disney, they're just ruining the Star Wars brand.
People keep saying Lucas ruined it, but since Lucas created it, he had full right to do whatever he wished to do. Disney don't.

THIS.

That's kind of a bizarre stance. So they current owners of a property have absolutely no right to experiment with said property? Kind of ruins the whole point of 'owning' something...

Also, we have yet to really see a full-on Disney produced Star Wars story, so it remains to be seen if they'll 'ruin' it. Saying that this early on is an epic jumping-of-the-gun.

But no worries, we are united in our desire for a Vader film...:hat:

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Also, we have yet to really see a full-on Disney produced Star Wars story, so it remains to be seen if they'll 'ruin' it. Saying that this early on is an epic jumping-of-the-gun.

And we can't forget the 'Abrams effect'.

kongisking said:
But no worries, we are united in our desire for a Vader film...:hat:

They would have to totally shatter Anakin the hero, and reclaim the anonymous villain who first strode aboard the Blockade Runner and snapped an officer's neck in the course of obtaining information.

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
Lens flare?

Indeed.

SW-Lens-Flare.png

Lots of lens flare.

tumblr_mdifdd0wkz1qg36bn%5B1%5D.jpg

Grizzlor

Am I crazy to say that I have little to no interest in a Boba Fett movie? Is Jeremy Bulloch still alive? He should do the voice not that prequel guy.

Montana Smith

Grizzlor said:
Am I crazy to say that I have little to no interest in a Boba Fett movie? Is Jeremy Bulloch still alive? He should do the voice not that prequel guy.

Boba should've remained the Man With No <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Name</span> Face.

Thought it was an error to show baby Boba. Not only that but to make him a clone so he's just the same as millions of other clones. Almost everybody will have seen his face whether they knew it or not.

Post-Prequels the Star Wars universe is so messed up that the current interpretation feels like it's taking place in a parallel universe.

Maybe some of the stand-alones or the new trilogy will be made as genuine follow-ups to where George left off in 1983.

Stoo

Grizzlor said:
Hi, Grizzlor. Long time, no see!:) Personally, I'd like to see a Boba Fett movie but the whole Disney purchase still burns my britches.(n)

Jeremy Bulloch is alive but he originally didn't do Boba's voice. It was done by some guy from Brooklyn, Jason Wingreen, who is now retired (and getting close to 100 years old).

In the late '90s, I went to a Star Wars convention and Jeremy Bulloch was onstage, occasionally imitating Boba's lines from the movie. I found it odd that the fans in the front rows, dressed up in costumes with toy lightsabers & whatnot, were cheering every time he spoke some dialogue. Why?
Montana Smith said:
Boba should've remained the Man With No <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Name</span> Face.
Boba should've remained the Man With The Same Voice. What was the point of re-dubbing Fett's lines in "Empire" with a New Zealand accent when all of the stormtroopers kept their American accents? It would have made much more sense to just hire Americans to play Jango & Baby Boba in the first place!:rolleyes:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Boba should've remained the Man With The Same Voice. What was the point of re-dubbing Fett's lines in "Empire" with a New Zealand accent when all of the stormtroopers kept their American accents? It would have made much more sense to just hire Americans to play Jango & Baby Boba in the first place!:rolleyes:

Exactly. It's that incomprehensible parallel universe George pushed SW into.

There was also a time when a battle droid was a battle droid:

And the only camp robotic comedy act was C-3PO.

But we?re not in Kansas any more, hence this bunch of Dorothys:

Battle_Droids.png

There's at least a little hope that Abrams & co. can restore some semblance of dignity to the series.

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
Exactly. It's that incomprehensible parallel universe George pushed SW into.

There was also a time when a battle droid was a battle droid:

And the only camp robotic comedy act was C-3PO.

But we?re not in Kansas any more, hence this bunch of Dorothys:

Battle_Droids.png

There's at least a little hope that Abrams & co. can restore some semblance of dignity to the series.

I don't so much hate their design, but whenever they talked in the film it made them campy and annoying.

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
I don't so much hate their design, but whenever they talked in the film it made them campy and annoying.

That's just what I meant. When they talk it's like the snake in the sandpit. i.e. George, what were you thinking? :D

-Pale Horse said:
Shades of KOTCS if I ever saw any. The Skull, the Soviets, Harry...hell, it even has a Mutt in it.

Only closer to the source and better written!

On that subject, rather than looking for a younger actor to play Indy, I'd love to see a younger actor playing Han in this trilogy.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
On that subject, rather than looking for a younger actor to play Indy, I'd love to see a younger actor playing Han in this trilogy.

Oh no, a Phantom Menace retread:

Star Wars VII: The Specter Scoundral and the Rise of Han Solo

deluxe-kids-han-solo-costume.jpg

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
Oh no, a Phantom Menace retread:

Star Wars VII: The Specter Scoundral and the Rise of Han Solo

Nooooooo!

Not that young. :D

The Brian Daley books take place two years before the events of Star Wars. (As do A.C. Crispin's later trilogy).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Han_Solo_Adventures

L. Neil Smith's Lando trilogy takes place between four and two years before Star Wars.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lando_Calrissian_Adventures

To me these six books represent classic Star Wars.

I'd almost throw Splinter of the Mind's Eye in there, but George's big budget bought him Empire Strikes Back so he could toss Alan Dean Foster's speculative lower budget sequel.

Spectre

Why all the hate for a Fett film???

Is it because Lucas ruined the character in AoTC?

I'd still love to see it done, but the right way. Helmet on through most of the film. If helmet is off, then shots from the back or in the shadows.

No NZ accent, either.

So much story to tell here. Fett was the coolest and most mysterious character in all of the films--he NEEDS his standalone.

Throw away the books and disregard the comics. Tell unknown stories.

Yoda is the other confirmed standalone, as well as the young Solo, now.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
They would have to totally shatter Anakin the hero, and reclaim the anonymous villain who first strode aboard the Blockade Runner and snapped an officer's neck in the course of obtaining information.

That's the idea: this would be the movie that shows how he completely lost all of his humanity and transitioned into the ultimate symbol of badass villainy. Or at least seemed to. That way, you can have the downer ending of him turning full-blown Sith Lord in mindset, but there's the silver lining of knowing that he does, eventually, snap out of it. It's a win-win, and it boggles me that they're not seriously developing that for a movie or even a TV show.

curmudgeon

Gareth Edwards (Godzilla) has been hired to direct the first stand-alone spin-off, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta (The Book of Eli)

Film now set for December 16th, 2016.

No announcement of what/who the film is about, though.

curmudgeon said:
Gareth Edwards (Godzilla) has been hired to direct the first stand-alone spin-off, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta (The Book of Eli)

Film now set for December 16th, 2016.

No announcement of what/who the film is about, though.

Ugh....Godzilla made some money, but sucks.

Wait...the prequels sucked but made money...nevermind, he's perfect.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

The Book of Eli was good, so the story will probably be all right. :D

Never seen anything directed by Gareth Edwards. He has a very short directorial CV.

Godzilla (2014)

Monsters (2010)

Factory Farmed (Short) (2008)

Heroes and Villains (TV Series documentary) (1 episode)

- Attila the Hun (2008)

Perfect Disasters (TV Series documentary) (2 episodes)

- Super Tornado (2006)

- Solar Storm (2006)

End Day (TV Movie) (2005)

Grizzlor

Well I would assume that Mr. Edwards will have to follow along the same lines of Mr. J.J. Abrams. In other words, I don't think he'll be allowed to direct a film that stylistically is against what J.J. will do. As for Gary Whitta, I have to say that both After Earth and The Book of Eli, while they may have been decent concepts, were not very good movies. Whether he was to blame, I don't know.