The Frank Darabont Script

joelwatts

The idea behind the mileage line would work, but not as a re-working of the original line. I could see something that references the original line while not mimicking it.

oki9Sedo

joelwatts said:
The idea behind the mileage line would work, but not as a re-working of the original line. I could see something that references the original line while not mimicking it.

It just smacks of fan script.

No Ticket

Kernunnos said:
I have a bad feeling about this...

Only joking. I'm as optimistic as ever.

haha... well, I'm pretty much against the idea of that line. After hearing him SAY it was in his script, my confidence in George not liking it is a little bit reinforced. lol. Maybe he learned something from the prequels.

I really hope that's not in there. I'm of the mind that there's no way in hell Indy would ever remember saying the other line twenty years or so earlier. Plus it reeks of being overly nostalgic and un-original. Just make up some new awesome lines. All the other ones are so quotable!! If they couldn't come up with original stuff as good as the previous films, my confidence in the film's script is a bit on the decline.

oki9Sedo

joelwatts said:
I agree. It's the kind of thing George Lucas would do...er, did, with the prequels.

Did he? For all the prequels faults, the references to the original trilogy were done tastefully.

snake_surprise

oki9Sedo said:
Did he? For all the prequels faults, the references to the original trilogy were done tastefully.

I disagree with this 100%.

He made an extremely interesting universe in the original trilogy go from being vast and expansive to trite and small. Re: Vader constructed 3P0, etc...

If Spielberg were not on board with Indy 4, and Lucas was directing/writing, there is no chance I would see it, even with Harrison back.

oki9Sedo

snake_surprise said:
I disagree with this 100%.

He made an extremely interesting universe in the original trilogy go from being vast and expansive to trite and small. Re: Vader constructed 3P0, etc...

If Spielberg were not on board with Indy 4, and Lucas was directing/writing, there is no chance I would see it, even with Harrison back.

I didn't really have a problem with Vader constructing C3PO. Sometimes incredible coincidences happen.

Even if you did feel that the original universe was made smaller by having such coincidences of people knowing each other or running into each other 20years ago (eg. Yoda and Chewie being friends, Vader and C3PO), it was vastly expanded in its mythology, with alot of new worlds introduced.

sunshinestate1992

oki9Sedo said:
I didn't really have a problem with Vader constructing C3PO. Sometimes incredible coincidences happen.

Even if you did feel that the original universe was made smaller by having such coincidences of people knowing each other or running into each other 20years ago (eg. Yoda and Chewie being friends, Vader and C3PO), it was vastly expanded in its mythology, with alot of new worlds introduced.
i like the idea
there kinda all related one way and another

oki9Sedo

salussolia said:
i like the idea
there kinda all related one way and another

I found there was probably a little too much of it. Vader having made C3P0 then their paths crossing again 30 years later is a big coincidence but since its interesting I'm okay with it, but having Chewie knowing Yoda years ago was a little too much.

At one stage they were going to have Han Solo as a little boy on the Wookiee planet in Revenge of the Sith, which I'm glad they didn't do, because thats just Lucas trying to explain things that don't need to be explained. Who cares how he befriended Chewie, he just befriended him somewhere along his travels and thats all that matters.

oki9Sedo

salussolia said:
But I Think It Would Have Been Could Do See What Han Solo Was Like As A Boy.

I'm not really fond of the idea at all myself-it just smacks of Lucas trying to over-explain things.

Zorg

Even if the "It's not the years.." line appears in KotCS, it won't ruin the movie. It'll take about a second to say. The movie lasts two hours. But I don't think it'll be there, 'cause Koepp said he didn't want to do a fanboy script.

Darabont deserves some credit for his work. Maybe a shared "story by" credit with Lucas while Koepp gets the "screenplay by" credit?

Finn

Staff member
Let's not forget Jeff Nathanson. Koepp's script is just supposed to be the Nathanson draft revisited, or so I hear.

commontone

And similarly, Nathanson was brought in to complete/touch up Darabont's drafts.
It's clearly not a "rush job" as some have claimed. They've spent several years with some of the best screenwriters in Hollywood working on this thing.

Some might be missing the purity that comes with a single screenwriter's credit, but it's almost never that pure. Some directors treat the script as the bible and adhere to it exactly (often the scripts they wrote themselves), but most add their own touches. Producers also have input. And then, a lot of actors are going to add their own nuances, changing the rhythm or wording of lines here and there in a way that works for them and the film (with the director's guidance).

Movies are obviously collaborative efforts, so it excites me to have those three screenwriters contributing to the script. I believe them when they say it was worth the wait, and it very well could be the best since Raiders.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
commontone said:
And similarly, Nathanson was brought in to complete/touch up Darabont's drafts.

I don't think anybody here knows to what extent he was completing it, touching it up or starting something new.

commontone said:
It's clearly not a "rush job" as some have claimed. They've spent several years with some of the best screenwriters in Hollywood working on this thing.

I don't remember anybody calling this a "rush job".