What is your single LEAST favourite scene from the trilogy?

agentsands77

No Ticket said:
There's screaming besides Marions. Is that supposed to be in her head or something? I just don't get it. Even as a little kid I recognized that didn't make sense.
I think it's just for effect, and it works fine.

Salacious

AHegele said:
I actually think Last Crusade is much more mature than Temple. There are some incredibly goofy scenarios in Temple (the bat/drying moment, the mine car chase, fortune and glory).

I agree in the sense that the character development and scenes btwn Indy and his Dad are far more mature in LC than in Temple.

However, Temple is a far far more enjoyable experience for me. I find few redeeming qualities in LC outside of Sean Connery.

Its just far too light and slapstick for my taste.

That being said, the movie as a whole is alot better than other Hollywood trash out there.

But LC is the weakest of the 3 movies IMO.

deckard24

I just watched Raiders recently and was reminded of a scene I can't stand! It's when Marion goes to say goodbye to Sallah, before getting on the Bantu Wind with Indy. UGHHHHHHHH

Her delivery of her lines always made me cringe, even as a kid! I use to think she was saying, "This is for Fire!", not, " This is for Faiyah!". LOL

Oh yeah, and Indy an Marcus singing in the tank!

gallandro

By far the scene that bothers me the most is the plane/car chase in Crusade. The scene is so filled with Bond-style humor:

1) Old man changing tire when the boys take off with the car... Old guy does a double take. If that doesn't scream Roger Moore 007 flick I don't know what else does.

2) Not to be topped, we then get the "Moonraker" moment with the Nazi pilot looking at his flaming plane as he careens down the tunnel. Heck all we needed was a Richard Kiel Jaws cameo to make the scene complete.

I really had a hard time with Crusade's humor. Indy humor is much more sardonic (cynical), not laughs for laughs sake like the late 60s/70s Bond films.

Yancy

oki9Sedo

Dr. Gonzo said:
I dont know if its been said, but my least favorite moment in the whole trilogy is when marion is being attacked or grabbed or whatever you want to call it by the skelletons in the well of souls. It was so cheesy and ever time I see it I shake my fist in disapproval

I thought that was the scariest moment in the whole trilogy.

As for it not making sense, well why not? She's in the Well of Souls, the resting place of the Lost Ark.....and there's clearly something supernatural, something not right about it.

UltimateManGod

deckard24 said:
I use to think she was saying, "This is for Fire!", not, " This is for Faiyah!".

I always thought it was fire too. Thanks for setting me straight. My least favorite part has to be the pine trees all over the mountain side in the raft scene in Doom. I don't mind the raft part itself. I just can't stand the evergreen forest. It seems out of place in the Himalayas.

deckard24

deckard24 said:
I just watched Raiders recently and was reminded of a scene I can't stand! It's when Marion goes to say goodbye to Sallah, before getting on the Bantu Wind with Indy. UGHHHHHHHH

Her delivery of her lines always made me cringe, even as a kid! I use to think she was saying, "This is for Fire!", not, " This is for Faiyah!". LOL

Oh yeah, and Indy an Marcus singing in the tank!
I meant Henry Sr. and Marcus singing in the tank, not Indy and Marcus! LOL

oki9Sedo

deckard24 said:
I meant Henry Sr. and Marcus singing in the tank, not Indy and Marcus! LOL

Indy: "I feel prettyyyyy! Oh so prettyyyyyyy...."
Marcus: "Oh so pretty, and witty, and GAYYYYYYYY!"
Together: "And I pityyyy, any girl who isn't me, today!"

deckard24

oki9Sedo said:
Indy: "I feel prettyyyyy! Oh so prettyyyyyyy...."
Marcus: "Oh so pretty, and witty, and GAYYYYYYYY!"
Together: "And I pityyyy, any girl who isn't me, today!"
LOL!

Wasn't that during the scene at Indy's home, when he was wearing his bathrobe, and Marcus stopped over for a drink?

oki9Sedo

deckard24 said:
LOL!

Wasn't that during the scene at Indy's home, when he was wearing his bathrobe, and Marcus stopped over for a drink?

I always thought Indy acted very gay in that scene. The bathrobe, the way he cocks his head back and goes "Oooooh!" after really emphatically shaking Marcus' hand...

Inbanana

I think all the movies have the odd "bad special effects scene" or two... but besides that... chalk me up as another one who didn't like the Last Crusade opening. A part of the little Indy in me died while watching that scene... well, ok, maybe thats exaggerating a bit... but I have to agree with what other people have said about it destroying the whole mystery of the character...
Indy's Sidekick said:
The dining scene from doom. That was just gross. I mean, come on! Those were supposed to be relatively normal people there. Snakes and beatles and brains, oh my.
Attila the Professor said:
I hate to be one of those types, but what really springs to mind is that borderline offensive invented exoticism of the Pankot Palace dinner sequence. I like the dialogue just fine - that stuff's classic - but the trappings are too much.
WillKill4Food said:
definitely the dining scene in ToD for me. i didn't think it was even remotely gross because you could tell the stuff was fake (except for the snakes they swallowed, which I'm still not sure how they did), but i thought it was demeaning to indians. after all, the majority of indians, such as the merchants and others, were supposed to be the protagonists and thus deserved a little respect. if they had thuggees eating sh!t, they i wouldn't care, but these were the good guys, excepting chatter lal. besides, i've eaten indian food at some of my best friend's houses, as a matter of fact i'm going to one's house tomorrow night, and the food is very delicious and anything but gross.
As for the ToD dining scene... maybe its because I was only a kid when I first watched it, but I always thought that it was just supposed to be a gross out, comic relief gag, and never thought about it too seriously. Nowadays, when I watch the movie, I can see how some, especially Indians, would consider it offensive... but I don't think that the strange characters at Pankot Palace were meant to be representative of the average Indian. Actually, I think the scene is pretty important, because it says that there is something more to this group of people than meets the eye... that they're ALL in on the charade, along with the prime minister and maharajah... and its their strange eating habits that give them away.

Too bad there was a scene from the script that takes place right after the dinner scene that wasn't included in the final movie:
EXT. THE PELASURE GARDEN - NIGHT

Hundreds of lanters illuminate the garden where after dinner drinks are served, cigars lighted and hookah pipes puffed on.

Indiana comes out of the pavilion into the garden with Capt. Blumburtt and they talk quietly.

CAPT. BLUMBURTT
Rather bizarre menu, woundn't you say?

INDIANA
Even if they were trying to scare us away, a devout Hindu would never touch meat.
(looking around)
Makes you wonder what these people are...
And does your average Kali cultist find ripping peoples hearts out offensive...? Maybe, I don't know... but that added to the whole deal of why the (fictional) Sankara stones were supposed to so powerful and dangerous... I mean if you can do things like rip peoples hearts out and keep them alive with just three stones, imagine the great tricks you could do with five...

Anyway, I like Indian food...

MaxPhactor23

Inbanana said:
I think all the movies have the odd "bad special effects scene" or two... but besides that... chalk me up as another one who didn't like the Last Crusade opening. A part of the little Indy in me died while watching that scene... well, ok, maybe thats exaggerating a bit... but I have to agree with what other people have said about it destroying the whole mystery of the character...

As for the ToD dining scene... maybe its because I was only a kid when I first watched it, but I always thought that it was just supposed to be a gross out, comic relief gag, and never thought about it too seriously. Nowadays, when I watch the movie, I can see how some, especially Indians, would consider it offensive... but I don't think that the strange characters at Pankot Palace were meant to be representative of the average Indian. Actually, I think the scene is pretty important, because it says that there is something more to this group of people than meets the eye... that they're ALL in on the charade, along with the prime minister and maharajah... and its their strange eating habits that give them away.

Too bad there was a scene from the script that takes place right after the dinner scene that wasn't included in the final movie:

And does your average Kali cultist find ripping peoples hearts out offensive...? Maybe, I don't know... but that added to the whole deal of why the (fictional) Sankara stones were supposed to so powerful and dangerous... I mean if you can do things like rip peoples hearts out and keep them alive with just three stones, imagine the great tricks you could do with five...

Anyway, I like Indian food...

Great post. I agree whole heartedly. I enjoy the dinner scene greatly - and I certainly don't find it racist. They?re not depicting Indian culture, they?re depicting the Thuggee cult. The cult legitimately was once real. The modern day term of ?thug? even derives from Thuggee. They also truly worshiped Kali Ma with sacrifices - though obviously not the same way in the film. We?re not dealing with casual Indians, we?re dealing with mad nutcases. I think to interpret this as racist is?in turn?more racist then it actually ever could be legitimately viewed. This is a cult - not your average Indian.

ReggieSnake

oki9Sedo said:
I always thought Indy acted very gay in that scene. The bathrobe, the way he cocks his head back and goes "Oooooh!" after really emphatically shaking Marcus' hand...
No ,I disagree, not gay at all. Actually that scene always reminds me of Sherlock Holmes, with Indy's robe and his excited attitude, Marcus is merely his best friend and straight man, Dr. Watson.

Salacious

Lab Rat said:
I guess mine is how the river below the bridge in TOD alternates between a rocky stream to a full river filled with alligators in different shots.

Yeah that does bug me too. Its a stream and then seems like an ocean. I hope the person involved with the continuity of scenes got fired. I mean...what a big blunder.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yeah, but they did cut the line about no real Hindu eating that kind of meal. If they'd kept it, that would largely exonerate the scene. Without it, the scene leaves me squeamish, and not because of anything gross about the food. And while what you say is obviously true about the Thuggee once actually existing, that the form they exist in here is entirely divorced from the fact of the matter is not something we can throw aside.

indyflys_solo

Bjorn Heimdall said:
I think for me it's the transformation of Indy after drinking the blood in ToD. Even with rich supernatural elements in all movies the whole "drinking blood and becoming bad" thing just never clicked with me.

The first time I saw TOD and Indy's transformation, I was horrified. Come to think of it, I was horrified by pretty much the whole movie besides Indy & Shorty (Willie... AAHHHH!!!) ...but the transformation thing really got to me. I remember saying "If this doesn't get better in 5 minutes I'm fast-forwarding till Indy's normal again!"
But I also noticed something just as bad--if not worse--in my favorite Indy movie: the "Nocturnal activities" scene. I never liked Willie to begin with; watching this scene not only clinched that sentiment but also made me question WHAT in the world Indy was thinking. :confused:

The_Raiders

You know, I can't really think of any scenes I didn't like The scenes with Willie did get annoying after so long.

Skipper

oki9Sedo said:
Actually, if I recall correctly from the novelization, Indy had just finished banging a (female) student before Marcus came over.

Skipper

indyflys_solo said:
But I also noticed something just as bad--if not worse--in my favorite Indy movie: the "Nocturnal activities" scene. I never liked Willie to begin with; watching this scene not only clinched that sentiment but also made me question WHAT in the world Indy was thinking. :confused:
I'm not sure I follow. What made you question what Indy was thinking, and what was Indy thinking?

Are you saying that he was crazy to want Willie? I thought she was pretty hot.