The Netherlands

Stoo

Tomorrow, I'll be visiting Amsterdam for a few days. It will be my very, 1st time and I'm pretty excited. Looking forward to seeing the Rembrandts and Vermeers because they are 2 of my favourite painters. My girlfriend wants to see the Van Goghs. Anne Frank's house is also on the itinerary as well as a 'coffee shop' or two.

Does anyone have suggestions on things to do & see? Do any locals feel like meeting up?

(Two months ago we drove from Brussels in Belgium to Aachen, Germany and then back again. During the drive, we passed through the most southern tip of the Netherlands so, technically, I have been in the country before but not for very long. My buddy took us to this park on a hill where the tri-point of the Belgian, German & Dutch borders meet. A few feet away was another marker which is the highest point in the Netherlands!)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
There's Madame Tussauds, and in surrounding areas, Giethoorn and the Hague. Might not be bicycling weather yet, the ideal summer activity.

Stoo

Destination: Amsterdam

Good to know, Moe!:hat: I've been to Madame Tussaud's in London (with the superb, wax sculpture of Indy!) and Louis Tussaud's in Niagara, Canada but wasn't aware that there was a Tussaud's in Amsterdam!

The free bicycling thing is definitely part of the plan but, like you said, it all depends on the weather. I've heard that it's often rainy and the forecast for this weekend isn't sunny.:(

Thanks for the reply & information, Moedred. When were you there and what did you do?

Anyone else have suggestions or advice?

---
P.S. Joosse, are you out there? My main computer died and I lost your e-mail address!

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It was during college, if only I could remember... :)

Slept on the train, missed Germany, arrived in Nijmegen, hitchhiked to a camp near Overasselt, worked for room and beer. Threw a party for 800 Brits on their way to Paris. Tagged along. Rave in an airport hangar for 3000. There was also a week on the beach.

Stoo

Moedred said:
...arrived in Nijmegen.
Oh, my...I knew someone who fought at the Nijmegen bridge. (He died in 1996.)

AMSTERDAM ROCKS and has easily become one of my TOP *5* European cities!(y) Anyone who hasn't been there and is $till $pending money on Indy toy$ must STOP that behaviour RIGHT NOW! Use your hard-earned CASH to visit AMSTERDAM!(y)

Le Saboteur

Top 5, huh? Do elaborate. I have enjoyed that time of year when the grass is slightly brown but still green, but Top 5 is high praise indeed.

inky_skin

Stoo said:
Oh, my...I knew someone who fought at the Nijmegen bridge. (He died in 1996.)

AMSTERDAM ROCKS and has easily become one of my TOP *5* European cities!(y) Anyone who hasn't been there and is $till $pending money on Indy toy$ must STOP that behaviour RIGHT NOW! Use your hard-earned CASH to visit AMSTERDAM!(y)

Pity I missed your post. Could've recommended a great Nepalese restaurant there. The wife and I stayed in a cool little boutique hotel a few years back - only partially spoiled by the fact that our luggage didn't join us.

Indy99

Glad you had fun, Stoo. I am heading there in early April. My secong trip. Went a few years ago, but just for the weekend. I'm driving from Nurnberg, Germany, planning to hit a few places on the way. Got any great recommendations? Maybe next time you drive through Germany, we could meet for a cold one.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Top 5, huh? Do elaborate. I have enjoyed that time of year when the grass is slightly brown but still green, but Top 5 is high praise indeed.
Which kind of grass, Sab? The lawn kind or the other?:) Top 5 because...

Communication: Since pretty much everyone can speak English, it was simple to go about and not be hindered by a language barrier. (Even though, sometimes while traveling, language barriers can be part of the fun/adventure.)

City Structure: I really like how a large chunk of Amsterdam is laid out, with its streets and canals built in a circular fashion as opposed to a square, grid pattern. Very different.but not confusing at all.

Now, I love cars & car culture but was very impressed with the way things were structured towards bicycles as a major mode of transportation. I?ve never seen so many bikes before in my entire life! There were literally thousands of them everywhere (though they are all ugly looking bikes). That said, I didn?t see one, single BMX.

Philosophy: I already knew that their liberal way of life was in contrast to North Americans but experiencing the difference, firsthand, made a big impact on me (even after living in Europe the past 5 years),. We didn?t really talk much with any locals but the general, Dutch attitude towards is obvious with the existence of all the ?coffee shops? and the crazy Red Light District. (My best friend in high school had Dutch parents and I was always amazed at how easy-going they were!)

We indulged in 2 ?coffee shops?. One was De Dampkring, which had awesome psychedelic designs on the walls and organic-shaped, hanging lamps. A great choice of tunes, too. The other was the famous, Bulldog in the Red Light District. The decor was like a troll?s cave and the music was enough to send you into a trance.

Museum-wise, we went to the Van Gogh Museum, the Rijkmusuem with the Rembrandts (and, unfortunately, only 2 Vermeers), and Anne Frank?s house where you can explore the secret annex her family lived in during WW2. (I wanted to visit the Jewish Historical Museum but we didn?t have time.)

We also did a canal tour in a boat and I have a funny story about the Red Light District but will save that for another post.
inky_skin said:
Pity I missed your post. Could've recommended a great Nepalese restaurant there. The wife and I stayed in a cool little boutique hotel a few years back - only partially spoiled by the fact that our luggage didn't join us.
Too bad about your luggage, Inky. That sucks but?as the old adage goes: Try to make the best out of a bad situation?which, I?m sure you & your wife did!

That restaurant would?ve been very interesting, Inky, because I?ve never eaten Nepalese before. Now you?ve piqued my curiosity! We did stumble upon a good Thai restaurant in Amsterdam called, Chao Praya. (We went in because our favourite Thai place in my hometown of Montreal has the same name and we felt it was only right to try this one out!) Our meals were DELICIOUS and the interior was decorated with photographs relating to the Dutch East India Company, which was a cool bonus for me.

An old Dutch restaurant, Haesje Claes, wasn?t bad. Great atmosphere. Food was satisfactory with a very friendly staff. The last night we went to an Argentinean place for some superb steak. (It was surprising how many Argentinean steak houses there are in Amsterdam!)
Indy99 said:
Glad you had fun, Stoo. I am heading there in early April. My secong trip. Went a few years ago, but just for the weekend. I'm driving from Nurnberg, Germany, planning to hit a few places on the way. Got any great recommendations? Maybe next time you drive through Germany, we could meet for a cold one.
INDEED, Indy99! Over a big beer, we can talk about visiting Cairo & Tarzan movies. Bring your wife/girlfriend along and we can talk about Gertrude Bell. (Given enough time, we can talk about Indy, too!)

If you haven?t been to it already, I recommend visiting Anne Frank?s house. (And, if you like Thai food, I also recommend the Chao Praya restaurant. Will find the exact address if you?re interested.). Have a great 2nd visit!:D

Next time I go back to the Netherlands, I want to visit Eindhoven, Nijmegen and Arnhem because of the WW2 battles of Operation Market Garden.

Stoo

Raven Meet in Amsterdam?

Are there any Dutch fans of Indiana Jones who would like to meet up? Joosse, are you still alive & kicking?:confused:

Both myself & Gerry2001 will be in Amsterdam for a few days...very soon (11-14 September) and we would love to get together with any Nederlander Ravenheads. Give me a shout if you feel like joining us! :D

Joosse

Well, what do you know. After a few years of leave I decide to check back here and what do I find?

Also, I have now moved to Amstelveen, which is right next to Amsterdam.

But today is the 15th of September...

Don't tell me I missed you guys... :eek:

Stoo

JOOSSE!(y) What an uncanny coincidence! Yes, unfortunately, you missed us and that's a shame.:( Our hotel was in Osdorp so we were quite close to you.

However, there's a very good chance that I'll be back to Amsterdam this December. Will let you know the dates if it happens.

It was Gerry's 1st visit. We had a blast.

Joosse

STOO!:D

So sad to have missed you.

Have to admit, there has been quite a lot going on for me as well, but that's all for a later time.

Please let me know if you do make it to Amsterdam in December. It would be fun to meet up. (y)

I know I have been away for a while, but now this man with a hat is back!
:whip: