Cinematography for Indy 5

seasider

In light of the recent Deadline article, I did come across this interview with Janusz Kaminski where he discusses the cinematography for The Post and his views on the current state of his profession. Right at the end, he acknowledge that he and Spielberg are still planning on doing Indy 5.

"So is Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara kicking up again soon? Do you know when that starts shooting or is that on hold for a minute?

KAMINSKI: I think so but I really don?t know, you know, so many things. We?re going to make Indiana Jones. Steven is the master of his own destiny and he makes the movie that he does. He might not even know what he?s going to make next. Because this movie came out so fast you know? In May he read the script and we started making it two months later."

Kaminski apparently has a movie of his own he's preparing to direct called The Postcard Killings but there's no news on when that will go into production and whether that will affect Spielberg's Indy 5 plans.

Udvarnoky

It's too bad, but also not surprising. Only thing we can hope for is that he reels himself in. I'm not optimistic.

seasider

Udvarnoky said:
It's too bad, but also not surprising. Only thing we can hope for is that he reels himself in. I'm not optimistic.

Maybe it's just me but the last few films he's done with Spielberg, he seems to have scaled back a little bit on his heavy back lighting habits. I liked what he did with Bridge of Spies. The Post had some nice shots though most of that movie took place in interior settings like an office or a house.

CodySolo

Based on his work on Inglorious Basterds, I think the best modern cinematographer to take on an Indy film would be Robert Richardson.

tumblr_n25b29WQev1qbxbd6o3_1280.png

seasider

Bob Richardson is definitely one of the best DPs in the business and I'd love to see him take on Indy 5 but unless there's some big scheduling conflict, Kaminski is gonna be the guy again.

emtiem

Well Phedon papamichael is confirmed to be working on it. How do we feel about him?
I watched Ford vs Ferrari again just over the weekend and I think he's a rather great choice: it's a beautifully looking film and actually not all that far from an Indy in terms of being quite stylised and classic-looking.

Nerdpants

Well Phedon papamichael is confirmed to be working on it. How do we feel about him?
I think it will be fine.

The guy that did KOTCS was not that bad.. certainly didn't ruin the film or anything.

Cinematographer is important but I don't think it will decide the fate of the movie (I.e. if it is good or bad).

Think its a shame they are filming this digital given the others were 35mm and this is the finale.

But even that does not worry me. Ford vs Ferrari was shot digitally and they used this guy and it turned out fine. Sure this will be the same from this technical aspect

emtiem

I wonder if it's shot on film or digital? Apparently he likes digital but works on film too.

Is that a digital camera?
2G2NB3P.jpg

JediJones

Kaminski's work looks very elegant, expensive and artsy. That's antithetical to the Indy aesthetic, which were supposed to look like B-movies shot flatly and cheaply.

Papamichael has a crazy resume. From Bio-Dome to Poison Ivy to Mouse Hunt to 3:10 to Yuma to The Huntsman: Winter's War to Ford vs. Ferrari.

IndianaBones

This is what James Mangold had to say about the cinematrgphy on twitter, take it ass you will.

Also this is what Phdeon papamichael had to say as well,

https://www.screendaily.com/news/qu...pinewood-studios/5158100.article?referrer=RSS

Maybe Phedon will actually do his homework to create something similar in the vein to slocombes work, unlike Janusz who said he did yet came out the opposite
Meant to say “as” not ass, but typos make it funnier haha

Grizzlor

I think the 4K KOTCS examples we've seen may well show that Kaminski's work on the movie was "altered" in post-production to get a certain look.

seasider

I think the 4K KOTCS examples we've seen may well show that Kaminski's work on the movie was "altered" in post-production to get a certain look.
I've wondered the same thing because there are some shots in the movie that are very colorful and Slocombe-ish and other shots that just look a bit washed out. My theory is they started out wanting to emulate Slocombe's previous look but then somewhere along way they decided they wanted more of a 50's technicolor look.

Given Mangold's comments and the photos from the onset shooting, they'll probably shoot this either fully on digital or maybe the way that the new SW Trilogy was done, where they combined both digital and 35mm film.

At the very least, I'm guessing they'll be using digital whenever the camera needs to be mounted onto a motorcycle, dropped, bumped, or simply needed as another angle for the shot.