Your Favorite little/rarely mentioned scenes.

thehero21

I tried looking for a topic on this but couldnt find one, but was curious to know what scenes do you love that are not the iconic ones (boulder chase,mine cart,tank fight, etc.) and not mentioned often, and why you like it?

For me, my favorite scene in TOD is when Indy and gang come upon the Thuggee shrine/warning on their way to Pankot palace, John Williams music gets really tribal and dark (probably his darkest track in the series) as Indy examines this disturbing shrine adorned with dead birds and human parts, it lets Indy, and the audience, know that theres something really unsettling and evil in the area.
Another scene, also in TOD, is when Indy just finished recovering the stones and was on his way to leave when he hears the childrens unsettling screams and he stops and then looks at the flapping human skins. Its at this moment i believe is when Indy turned from being the "fortune and glory" mercenary type in it for himself to the hero for good that we see in the subsequent films. I wish all of TOD kept this consistently dark, serious tone instead of jarring between silly gags.

Marshall2288

I also like the scene when Indy hears the kids screams.

Without much thought the first one to pop in my head was in LC when Donovan was trying to give the chest of gold to the Sultan and he just turns away from it, walk over to the car and says "Rolls-Royce Phantom two. 4.3 litre, 30 horsepower, six cylinder engine, with Stromberg downdraft carburetor, can go from zero to 100 kilometres an hour in 12.5 seconds. And I even like the color."
Donovan replied "The keys are in the ignition."

I always laugh at that.

HenryJunior

Well I hardly talk about LC but here's one my favorite minor scenes:

Indy see's Vogel has found their Zeppelin just as they are about take off. John Williams starts this beautifully evil but quirky march as the Nazi's get on. Indy presumably knocks out a steward to get his uniform and to get close to Vogel as he questions passengers. Indy punches Vogel straight out of an open window to the bewilderment of everyone else onboard.

And his only excuse... "No Ticket"

And then of course everyone quickly whips out tickets to spare themselves from being punched off the ship!:whip:

Classic little scene:D

russds

There's a cool, tiny little scene in ToD that I just noticed for the first time (seen the movie, probably hundreds of times). During the scene where Indy is getting 'coerced' into drinking the blood of kali, then is getting whipped. There's a small shot where he's whipped, and his breath blows out the candles near his head. I thought it was an excellent attention to detail showing a real exhale of breath, and believability that it was painful.

foreverwingnut

O.K., I may get lynched for what I'm about to mention, but please don't kick the stool out from under me. Crystal Skull gets little attention, but there is a powerful image with very poignant connotations- the atomic bomb raging far in the distance as Indy watches with awe. Yeah, I know, this follows the infamous refrigerator scene, but the awesome might of that mushroom cloud is chilling- the finger of God as it were. The cloud looks as though it has an angry, undulating face, hungry for destruction. From the first time I saw that and every time since, I say to myself, "The Cold War had begun".

Marshall2288

While I won't kick the stool out from under you I will say to each his own. I'm sure it would have been an ok scene had the fridge not happened.

foreverwingnut

Thanks, Marshall. Another short scene I've always enjoyed is when Elsa and Indy are in the catacombs of Venice and see a familiar image painted on the wall. "The Ark of the Covenant." Indy says. "Are you sure?" Elsa asks, to which Indy replies flatly, "Pretty sure". It's a subtle nod to the greatest of all the Indy relics and perfect tongue-in-cheek humor.

Indy's brother

russds said:
There's a cool, tiny little scene in ToD that I just noticed for the first time (seen the movie, probably hundreds of times). During the scene where Indy is getting 'coerced' into drinking the blood of kali, then is getting whipped. There's a small shot where he's whipped, and his breath blows out the candles near his head. I thought it was an excellent attention to detail showing a real exhale of breath, and believability that it was painful.

That's fantastic! I'll be looking for that! There's something similarly missed by most (including myself until it was pointed out to me) in ROTLA. In the tavern after Indy thinks Marion has been blown to smithereens, Indy makes this funny facial expression at Belloq right before he seats himself. It's kind of the thing Ace Ventura has done, making a funny face while the other person is looking away....

Montana Smith

foreverwingnut said:
O.K., I may get lynched for what I'm about to mention, but please don't kick the stool out from under me. Crystal Skull gets little attention, but there is a powerful image with very poignant connotations- the atomic bomb raging far in the distance as Indy watches with awe. Yeah, I know, this follows the infamous refrigerator scene, but the awesome might of that mushroom cloud is chilling- the finger of God as it were. The cloud looks as though it has an angry, undulating face, hungry for destruction. From the first time I saw that and every time since, I say to myself, "The Cold War had begun".

Marshall2288 said:
While I won't kick the stool out from under you I will say to each his own. I'm sure it would have been an ok scene had the fridge not happened.

The fridge is part of the finest scene in the whole of that poorly conceived film. It's only the landing that breaks the illusion. It was intentionally mad, since it was conceivably going to be one of Indy's last ever cliffhangers. Being his last movie they were bound to put in something outrageous to top everything else.

Mad is, however M.A.D. Mutually Assured Destruction - which is what KOTCS was for Indiana Jones. There were plenty of poor scenes contributing to his destruction. KOTCS is full of face/palm moments.

The flayed human skins in Temple of Doom need more mention. They appear briefly, but they've always seemed a shocking appearance in a movie made for a family audience. (The novelization is more graphic, as Indy & co. have to walk through them).

Dr.Jonesy

"While I won't kick the stool out from under you I will say to each his own."

"Mad is, however M.A.D. Mutually Assured Destruction - which is what KOTCS was for Indiana Jones. There were plenty of poor scenes contributing to his destruction. KOTCS is full of face/palm moments."

Can we go one thread where we don't go off topic have to complain/give a cutting remark about KOTCS(or even TOD) and how much everyone hates it? My lord...I hate how anyone who dares compliment KOTCS has to basically put a disclaimer that says 'Be gentle...I'm only giving it a LITTLE credit...' or they try and basically apologise for their opinion.

Little Moments/Rarely Mentioned Scenes;

-The use of silhouette in Raiders - ROTLA
-The way the music cues once Indy/Elsa reach the room of caskets in the catacombs - LC
-Indy's little smirk/nod after "Part Time." - KOTCS
-The calm and stillness before the removal of the Ark. The looks on Sallah's and Indy's faces. - ROTLA

I'm too tired to think of anything else.

Montana Smith

Dr.Jonesy said:
Can we go one thread where we don't go off topic have to complain/give a cutting remark about KOTCS(or even TOD) and how much everyone hates it? My lord...I hate how anyone who dares compliment KOTCS has to basically put a disclaimer that says 'Be gentle...I'm only giving it a LITTLE credit...' or they try and basically apologise for their opinion.

I can only give credit to the fridge being the finest scene in the movie by placing it alongside the obvious fallout of the ending of that sequence.

The tension of Doom Town's countdown is a double-edged sword. It's an argument in defence of it, up until the landing. I've been a longterm defender of the refrigerator!

But, in any case that wasn't a small scene, but a comment in reference to a comment.

TOD is a top movie, in spite of Willie and Shorty. Little scenes like the skins add to the boldness of the concept.

Toht's coathanger gag is a standout moment in Raiders.

Last edited:

russds

Another thing I noticed fairly recently, which I'm sure 99% of everyone but me noticed it, but still it's short, and it's awesome. In Raiders, when Indy is saving Marion from the nazi plane, while the gasoline is catching fire, and moving towards the gas rig. There's this awesome scene where the plan is moving circularly, and in the background you can see the flames crawling along the gasoline spill. So comic book, I thought it was fantastic, when I actually noticed that.

A short scene i've always loved is in LC when Indy and his dad are in the burning room, and they find the fireplace that opens. They way speilberg uses the spinning fireplace, and at one point, a nazi gets stuck on one side, and comes around knocked out. The whole use of the spinning fireplace I thought was genius.

I've always thought the Indy films were filled with such great comic book style frames with multiple things going on, and fun uses of objects, just love noticing them!

Marshall2288

Dr.Jonesy said:

[/B][/FONT]

I like KOTCS. I just hate that scene.

Oh, and ToD is my favorite movie of the 4. I think your mistaking me for a hater, good sir. :hat:

Vance

Jonesy, lighten up. People not liking Crystal Skull (as a whole) is pretty much universal and should in no way be considered a personal attack on you. There's no reason for you to get so offended by it.

That said, there are a couple of little scenes in Crystal Skull that I liked which could have helped the film:

1) The 'drag race' at the beginning. Not only did this shot say "this is the 1950s" but it really helped show the Soviet agents as a bit more human. This really added to the shock value of the upcoming attack.

2) The 'resigned' scene. While I do wish the McCarthyism was more evenly handed and more honest, I did like that the university head resigned to support Indy, knocking the wind out of his sails. (I really wish this had been played up a little more, with Indy showing up the Gov't agents by doing their job for them and doing it right.. but we never get back to that subplot.)

3) The 'diner' scene. Shia actually nails Mutt here and the interaction between he and Harrison is really good. Yes, there's too much exposition, but you see Mutt as a 'rebel trying too hard' and Indiana already showing a more 'paternal' side of himself. Honestly, Shia's acting is really underrated in this film and I think he suffers due to how much 'stupid' there is in the movie being pinned on him rather than on Lucas or Speilberg, where it belongs.

Junior Jones

:rolleyes:

I really like the scene where that guy is waving his sword around and Indy just shoots him! ROTFL!

(Sorry, I'm being a little facetious. But the definition of "little/rarely mentioned" scenes is obviously a function of how long the poster has been hanging out here at the Raven.)

russds

Vance said:
3) The 'diner' scene. Shia actually nails Mutt here and the interaction between he and Harrison is really good. Yes, there's too much exposition, but you see Mutt as a 'rebel trying too hard' and Indiana already showing a more 'paternal' side of himself. Honestly, Shia's acting is really underrated in this film and I think he suffers due to how much 'stupid' there is in the movie being pinned on him rather than on Lucas or Speilberg, where it belongs.

Same here, I love how Shai delivered the "What are you like 80?" line. Also the dialog at the diner scene is great.

Dr.Jonesy

Marshall2288 said:
I like KOTCS. I just hate that scene.

Oh, and ToD is my favorite movie of the 4. I think your mistaking me for a hater, good sir. :hat:

I wasn't calling you a hater, buddy.
:hat:

It just seems that somehow someone gets off topic and discusses the merits of the film, it was more aimed at Montanna's 'MAD' comment. The KOTCS discussions should be left to the threads dedicated to it.
;)

"People not liking Crystal Skull (as a whole) is pretty much universal"

:rolleyes:

Yeah, right. Talk about blanketing your opinion as gospel. That's not true at all.

Vance

Dr.Jonesy said:
Yeah, right. Talk about blanketing your opinion as gospel. That's not true at all.

Seriously, why are you so emotionally invested in being such a fan in the movie that you're going to be a complete prat to anyone who finds fault with it? That's honestly not healthy, and maybe you should take a big step back from it to re-evaluate your priorities in life.

Dr.Jonesy

Vance said:
Seriously, why are you so emotionally invested in being such a fan in the movie that you're going to be a complete prat to anyone who finds fault with it? That's honestly not healthy, and maybe you should take a big step back from it to re-evaluate your priorities in life.

I'm not being a prat...and I'm not emotionally invested and even I have complaints about every Indy film. I don't pester anyone, if I did, I'd be busy in the KOTCS forum. I was getting at that this thread shouldn't go down the path of being about one movie. You went ahead and made up some ridiculous statement, I disagreed because what you said is ridiculous and completely untrue. I'd say the same if you said that about TOD.

And now you're attacking MY priorities, and if you've seen how infrequent I am here, you'd know my priorities are not here. Do NOT judge my life or priorities, thank you. You don't know me so do not pretend to.