I am sad for Indy

Jones_Happens

MaxPhactor23 said:
Personally...having kids on your side doesn't improve your argument. If anything it only hurts it, proving that it's an immature and non-violent film through and through. That?s not a positive thing.
I hate getting confrontational on message boards, but you could not have possibly missed my point any more if you tried with all your might!!!

I was NOT AT ALL claiming that Indy 4 is good because my nephews liked it. I was making a point about how factors such as age, whether or not you see a film in a theater (as opposed to at home), and how far apart you view sequels can affect your viewing experience.

Your point is positively irrelevant to my discussion.

MaxPhactor23

graz said:
Well.. my kids 7 & 10 love it and , guess what? My Wife (36) and me (39) like it too! You are right though, I am incredibly immature so maybe thats why? (or maybe you get to a certain age and just can't be bothered to take stuff so seriously...:D )

Most of my friends thought the film was average to sub par. I actually have a good friend who walked out. Personally I felt it was alright, but it didn't feel like Indiana Jones to me whatsoever. It was like some sort of dumbed down and censored imitation. Of course today’s kids will enjoy this more so. It involves less thought, less horror, less violence, less everything except camp. Kids love corny satire stuff because they don’t really grasp it. I can name a dozen movies I loved as a child that today I can’t help but wonder why. Ask the kids what they thought once they’ve matured. Things might change. As a matter of fact, I’d like to think they will change. Denying this as the most childish of the series…is impossible. It’s beyond me to understand how anyone could do it. I think I summed it up like this; It's a decent enough adventure movie, but a very poor Indiana Jones movie.

Jones_Happens said:

Pssh! I have a very clear cut point. I’m sorry if you can’t grasp it. Having kids on your side proves nothing. As I said, it almost hurts the dignity of the picture. What’s irrelevant is bringing up that kids enjoyed the film. Why do it if it’s admittedly not your own point? My nine year old kid loved it! Oh man...you've shown those "haters." Pssh!

Last edited:

graz

Jones_Happens said:
I hate getting confrontational on message boards, but you could not have possibly missed my point any more if you tried with all your might!!!

I was NOT AT ALL claiming that Indy 4 is good because my nephews liked it. I was making a point about how factors such as age, whether or not you see a film in a theater (as opposed to at home), and how far apart you view sequels can affect your viewing experience.

Yes that's true. I enjoyed watching the movie with my kids (7 & 10) because we all had alot of fun with it together. Maybe youngsters aren't as demanding, but I also feel that is possibly the case when you pass 35. Somehow, the main factor for me is whether I had fun watching something, which in this case I did. If thats a sign of immaturity I'm guilty as charged! ;)

Jones_Happens

Pssh! I have a very clear cut point. I’m sorry if you can’t grasp it. Having kids on your side proves nothing. As I said, it almost hurts the dignity of the picture. What’s irrelevant is bringing up that kids enjoyed the film. Why do it if it’s admittedly not your own point? My nine year old kid loved it! Oh man...you've shown us haters. Pssh!
Please stop this now! I am not trying to show haters anything. My post clearly is addressed to lovers and haters of KOTCS. My original post was a discussion of how various factors can affect the viewing experience of any of the Indy films. A kid viewing KOTCS right after viewing the original adventures views the film differently than an adult who grew up on the original adventures and sees KOTCS 19 years later. It's just a discussion of perception. In fact, my post doesn't even say whether or not I liked KOTCS. For all you know I'm a hater and you're bashing me for no reason. Get a grip, go eat a Twinkie!

MaxPhactor23

Jones_Happens said:
Get a grip, go eat a Twinkie!

I'll have to pass on that. Sorry to disappoint. Twinkies are for fatties...I'll leave the snack foods to the majority of overweight Americans. Plus I’ve never been a fan of cake anyway. Too dry for my taste.

Jones_Happens

MaxPhactor23 said:
I'll have to pass on that. Sorry to disappoint. Twinkies are for fatties...I'll leave the snack foods to the majority of overweight Americans. Plus I?ve never been a fan of cake anyway. Too dry for my taste.
I'll accept this post as a white flag.

For the record, if you eat Twinkies in moderation you won't get fat. Everything should be taken in moderation...

Darth Vile

Jones_Happens said:
Please stop this now! I am not trying to show haters anything. My post clearly is addressed to lovers and haters of KOTCS. My original post was a discussion of how various factors can affect the viewing experience of any of the Indy films. A kid viewing KOTCS right after viewing the original adventures views the film differently than an adult who grew up on the original adventures and sees KOTCS 19 years later. It's just a discussion of perception. In fact, my post doesn't even say whether or not I liked KOTCS. For all you know I'm a hater and you're bashing me for no reason. Get a grip, go eat a Twinkie!

Don't get too wound up. Your observations are well made... and if some don't understand your point (or refuse to recognize your point), they are inadvertently strengthening your argument.

Jones_Happens

Darth Vile said:
Don't get too wound up. Your observations are well made... and if some don't understand your point (or refuse to recognize your point), they are inadvertently strengthening your argument.
Thanks for the vote of confidence...I've harnessed my chi. :D

MaxPhactor23

Jones_Happens said:
I'll accept this post as a white flag.

For the record, if you eat Twinkies in moderation you won't get fat. Everything should be taken in moderation...

Of course it is. People read my posts far more aggressively then they genuinely are. I tend to tease a lot, but I suppose that doesn’t read to will online. I've been told I have a very hostile style of writing. I suppose that’s better then being a bland writer. I don't take anything to heart when it's coming from someone online. Why bother? I see that as only being rational.

graz

MaxPhactor23 said:
Most of my friends thought the film was average to sub par. I actually have a good friend who walked out. Personally I felt it was alright, but it didn't feel like Indiana Jones to me whatsoever. It was like some sort of dumbed down and censored imitation. Of course today?s kids will enjoy this more so. It involves less thought, less horror, less violence, less everything except camp. Kids love corny satire stuff because they don?t really grasp it. I can name a dozen movies I loved as a child that today I can?t help but wonder why. Ask the kids what they thought once they?ve matured. Things might change. As a matter of fact, I?d like to think they will change. Denying this as the most childish of the series?is impossible. It?s beyond me to understand how anyone could do it. I think I summed it up like this; It's a decent enough adventure movie, but a very poor Indiana Jones movie.

That IS true. I think that's why most kids seem to like Temple of Doom..:rolleyes:

bennihana123

graz said:
That IS true. I think that's why most kids seem to like Temple of Doom..:rolleyes:
Hm. Temple of Doom was the first Indy film I ever saw when I was little, and I place it at the bottom of my list, right under Crystal Skull.

James

Agent Z said:
Spacing them apart, you can see the major shifts in tone. If Kingdom was guilty of anything, it was in following suit with what had followed before, which was not following suit at all....

Very true. I also saw TOD and LC on opening day, and each went in a direction I was not expecting. So it only seemed fitting when KOTCS did exactly the same.

I do think it changes your perspective if you were exposed to the series all at once. It takes the films out of context, and you pretty much go in with the assumption, "These are regarded as classics." This is probably why so many younger fans have such widely differing opinions on which film is best.

OmegaSeamaster

A_True_Believer said:
This.

I've heard so many people complain that KOTCS doesn't "feel" like an Indy movie. Well, which "feel" were they expecting? The rough, mostly serious action of Raiders? The bipolar camp/horror of Temple? The lighthearted comedy of Crusade? The truth is that there isn't a consistent Indy "feel" at all. Each film was drastically different in tone, so why shouldn't KOTCS have it's own "feel" as well? Looking at it this way, I think it fits right in with the others.

Yeah, the tone of Crystal Skull was "Kid-friendly Indy and son meets the X-Files," and it sucked all the more for it.

Honestly, if Indy encountered aliens in the first sequel after Raiders, the series would have been dead and buried, guaranteed.

IAdventurer01

Enough with saying that only little kids like this movie. :rolleyes: I brought along two of by best buddies with me to opening night, one was only casually versed in the original films and had given them a recent rewatch. The other is a guy who takes everything all together too seriously. The serious one can out pleasantly surprised while the other had a blast along with me.

We're 20 years old - perhaps not adult, but old enough to attempt to dispell the notion that only very young audiences enjoyed KotC.

Raider S

Can't even the lovers admit it was all a bit too sweet? I didn't hate the movie but only people who are oblivious will deny it didn't have the "edge" of the first two. Crusade was equally sappy, in my opinion.

SterankoII

I think with the sappiness had to do with both those movies being thought of as the very last Indy movies so I don't mind it.

Originally posted by Bennihanna 123
Originally Posted by graz
That IS true. I think that's why most kids seem to like Temple of Doom..
Hm. Temple of Doom was the first Indy film I ever saw when I was little, and I place it at the bottom of my list, right under Crystal Skull.

Same here! I was more scared of the climactic scene in Raiders than I ever was by Temple of Doom. I loved watching TOD as a kid.

Opinion among big Indy fans pretty much split but of course the haters are a lot more vocal about it. Most casual viewers enjoyed it but didn't treat it like a huge life-altering thing. The first time I saw it it got a nice round of applause. I think the only people who are bringing the franchise down are fans who keep on complaining about the latest movie. They're just spreading a lot of negativity. It's stayed at the 7.1 rating on IMDB for two weeks ago which isn't bad. To me it's like The Simpsons Movie last year. That was a movie I was also eagerly anticipating. I thought it was okay but was let down a little bit. It had some great stuff and I had a few laughs but it wasn't nearly as great as some of the really classic episodes of the first few seasons of the TV show. I still like it though. I think like with KOTCS, it couldn't live up to the nearly 20 years of buildup and all that hype surrounding it. I love a lot of the stuff with Indy's character at that later point in his life, the interaction with Shia and the reunion and a lot of the action.

So I guess because I like Mutt and Spider-Pig I'm glad they made KOTCS as The Simpsons Movie!

Last edited:

A_True_Believer

Raider S said:
Can't even the lovers admit it was all a bit too sweet? I didn't hate the movie but only people who are oblivious will deny it didn't have the "edge" of the first two. Crusade was equally sappy, in my opinion.

Whether it's too sweet is a matter of personal taste. It's true that many of its scenes are lighter, like Crusade, but quite a bit of KOTCS is actually pretty dark, especially in the first half. The warehouse chase, the sanitarium and the cemetary were all fairly serious scenes. I think that certain, sillier parts of the film stand out for people (fridge, sand pit, vines, etc.), and then they feel that the entire film had the tone of those few scenes. I would suggest watching it again but more closely. I've noticed that the film frequently shifts back and forth between a serious Raiders-like tone and a lighter Crusade-style feel.

Edit: I'm just going to explain my view. Here's how I see the scenes in KOTCS, "tonally":

Intro through to Rocket sled: Raiders
Doom Town: Crusade
FBI questioning to Mutt's introduction: Raiders
Arnie's Diner to the end of the motocycle chase: Crusade
Indy's home to the introduction of Marion: Raiders
Indy/Marion arguement to the beginning of the jungle chase: Crusade
Jungle chase up until the sword fight: Raiders
Sword fight, vine swinging: Crusade
Ants, Dovchenko Fight: Raiders
Escape over cliff, three waterfalls: Crusade
Discovery of Ugha cave drawings: Raiders
Ugha Chase to the Artifact room: Crusade
Artifact room to the "activation" of the spaceship: Raiders
Escape from Akator, spaceship, and ending.: Crusade

Last edited:

Raider S

Sorry, I don't see much in the new film which compares with Raiders in terms of seriousness. If you take the truck chase in Raiders and compare it with the jungle chase they are very different in tone. The truck chase was gritty while the jungle chase seemed like forced action, like it was working to hard to excite people.

Sankara

Sorry, but there is absolutly nothing in the new film which compares with the timeless masterpiece "Raiders" in terms of seriousness. Nothing! The relationship between Indy and Marion, the Story, the stunts...

The truck chase in an good example. Many many REAL Stunts and believable... and the jungle chase? Well, very boring bluescreen stunts... :sick:

I don't think that "Skull" is an Indiana Jones Movie...