What's Harrison Ford doing these days?

AndyLGR

Great question to Harrison at Comic CON

"Is it your life goal to reboot every major franchise you've helped to create, like Blade Runner"

Harrison: "You bet your ass it is" :whip:

Silvor

AndyLGR said:

"Is it your life goal to reboot every major franchise you've helped to create, like Blade Runner"

The word reboot gets thrown around a bit too much these days, Blade Runner 2049 is a sequel, not a reboot. Still a great answer though :p

Face_Melt

Silvor said:
The word reboot gets thrown around a bit too much these days, Blade Runner 2049 is a sequel, not a reboot. Still a great answer though :p

Reboots can be sequels. There are two types of reboots - Continuity reboots (like Bateman Begins) where all previous iterations are thrown out the window for a fresh start - or Franchise reboots such as The Force Awakens which basically means new life is given to a franchise - this can be a sequel to a previous installment that is coming out super late in the game. Blade Runner 2049 is a reboot that is also a sequel.

Raiders90

Face_Palm said:
Reboots can be sequels. There are two types of reboots - Continuity reboots (like Bateman Begins) where all previous iterations are thrown out the window for a fresh start - or Franchise reboots such as The Force Awakens which basically means new life is given to a franchise - this can be a sequel to a previous installment that is coming out super late in the game. Blade Runner 2049 is a reboot that is also a sequel.

So Godfather Part III was a reboot? Lol kay.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Indyfan82 said:
Bateman Begins was a great rebirth for Jason's movie career. ;) :whip:

what_i_expected_arrested_development.gif

Raiders90

Face_Palm said:
Godfather 3 is not considered a reboot.

"Franchise reboots such as The Force Awakens which basically means new life is given to a franchise - this can be a sequel to a previous installment that is coming out super late in the game. Blade Runner 2049 is a reboot that is also a sequel."

The word reboot is tossed around too often. Either a movie is a sequel, or a reboot. Blade Runner 2049 isn't a reboot. It's a sequel. Unless something in the movie totally undoes or undercuts the original film, it's a sequel. LC came out half a decade after TOD - Was it a reboot? No. KOTCS?

Sequel = continuation of the storyline
Soft reboot = sequel that ignores or alters some earlier canon (IE Jurassic World is a direct sequel to Jurassic Park and ignores the original two sequels. Star Trek 2009 alters the ST universe overall. SW prequels can be considered reboots in that they retooled a lot of the existing lore of the franchise. SW sequels are the same in that they undid the beloved EU; Rogue One rewrites some of the events of the original '77 SW in subtle ways).
Hard reboot - ignores all existing previous canon (IE Batman Begins ignores the Burton/Schumacher movies.)

A reboot to me implies a restart of a franchise after a much maligned entry. Ala Batman. It implies the previous film was bad in some way and needs fixing.

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
It implies the previous film was bad in some way and needs fixing.
While sequelitis is often the reason behind reboots, it's still a little narrow-minded to imply reboots only happen after it has already set in.

It can also be a preventive measure. There's nothing wrong with the existing canon, but every once in a while it may still be a hindrance to the best story that can be told.

I do agree however, that for something to be defined as a reboot, it must disregard or shake up the existing canon in some noticeable way. If it doesn't, it's a sequel (or prequel), no matter how much time has passed since the previous entry.

Walecs

Raiders112390 said:
"Franchise reboots such as The Force Awakens which basically means new life is given to a franchise - this can be a sequel to a previous installment that is coming out super late in the game. Blade Runner 2049 is a reboot that is also a sequel."

The word reboot is tossed around too often. Either a movie is a sequel, or a reboot. Blade Runner 2049 isn't a reboot. It's a sequel. Unless something in the movie totally undoes or undercuts the original film, it's a sequel. LC came out half a decade after TOD - Was it a reboot? No. KOTCS?

Soft reboot = sequel that ignores or alters some earlier canon (IE Jurassic World is a direct sequel to Jurassic Park and ignores the original two sequels. Star Trek 2009 alters the ST universe overall. SW prequels can be considered reboots in that they retooled a lot of the existing lore of the franchise. SW sequels are the same in that they undid the beloved EU; Rogue One rewrites some of the events of the original '77 SW in subtle ways).
Hard reboot - ignores all existing previous canon (IE Batman Begins ignores the Burton/Schumacher movies.)

A reboot to me implies a restart of a franchise after a much maligned entry. Ala Batman. It implies the previous film was bad in some way and needs fixing.

JW did not make the two sequels uncanon, though. They're still canon and JW does reference them, albeit in subtle ways.
I'm pretty sure JP5 will even reference them further.

Face_Melt

Raiders112390 said:

The Force Awakens is a reboot as well as a sequel: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-shot-famed-photographer-Annie-Leibovitz.html

Stoo

AndyLGR said:

Hi, Andy. I think it's a terrible question. Harrison should've answered:

"Listen kid, a single movie isn't a franchise and a sequel isn't a reboot. Next question."

Face Palm said:
Who knew that H.Ford starred in a 1978 reboot of the 1961 "Guns of Navarone" franchise? :rolleyes: As for "Star Wars", it's been delivering movies & TV shows on a consistent basis since 1997, living & breathing fine for 20 years now.

AndyLGR

Stoo said:
Hi, Andy. I think it's a terrible question. Harrison should've answered:

"Listen kid, a single movie isn't a franchise and a sequel isn't a reboot. Next question."
Yeah my sarcasm fell flat (n)

I see what the question is getting at, basically resurrecting characters from early in his career, but the choice of wording in using reboot is just all wrong.

Dr.Sartorius

Face_Palm said:
He remarkably hasn?t aged much these last 9 years, if they start filming next year I think we are good!

For some reason he looks old in interviews but in these candid shots and in BR 2049 he looked good.