Indy catches egg in ToD deleted scene?

Stoo

@Indy's brother: Because your questions are so retarded, I'll try and be kind & friendly...:p (I respect you, Indy's Brother, but please, try to stay on track...as far as the "Doom" egg is concerned...)

1 - Not "everyone would remember" the egg scene in the theatre because it (obviously) wasn't included in every print.

2- JayDee is obtaining a TV promotional special...NOT a TV airing of the film...Please pay attention, Indy's bro', my friend!:whip:

Behold: The Seder Egg. Delivered TODAY (Before Easter!);):whip:

passover-sederplate.jpg

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
@Indy's brother: Because your questions are so retarded, I'll try and be kind & friendly...:p (I respect you, Indy's Brother, but please, try to stay on track...as far as the "Doom" egg is concerned...)

1 - Not "everyone would remember" the egg scene in the theatre because it (obviously) wasn't included in every print.

2- JayDee is obtaining a TV promotional special...NOT a TV airing of the film...Please pay attention, Indy's bro', my friend!:whip:

Golly, I must be retarded, because I still think that your #1. is just paraphrasing what I said in my last post. I'll admit though, that I misread the "promotional special" bit, so I apologize for offending your delicate sensibilities. It's obvious that you have a real emotional investment in this egg scene, so why don't you save the snide commentary for some of those that actually think you're full of crap on this?

Montana Smith

Hanselation said:

mike said:
Another Temple of Doom scene missing I noticed is on board the plane when the copilot comes out with a gun or monkey wrench (can't remember which) to kill Indy and as he's about to do the deed the plane lurches and a chicken egg rolls down a plank and Indy in his sleep reaches out and catches it. The copilot thug decides to go back and he and the pilot leave with their parachutes.

My wife and I are very disappointed in the cuts... they don't serve any purpose we can tell.

She says she remembers the last scene of Raiders where the american stamps burn off the crate in the warehouse as well.

Another case of false memory syndrome?

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Googling 'egg raider.net' only brings up this other thread on the topic:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=17442

Though it isn't any more help, since in it you're probably referring to this thread.
Yes, in that thread, I was referring to this one.
Hanselation said:
This is probably the one since it's from 2003. Thanks for finding it, Hanselation.:hat: Another witness!(y) (I would ask about the egg scene at The Indy Lounge forum but I think most people there are too young to have seen "Doom" at the cinema.)
Indy's brother said:
Golly, I must be retarded, because I still think that your #1. is just paraphrasing what I said in my last post. I'll admit though, that I misread the "promotional special" bit, so I apologize for offending your delicate sensibilities. It's obvious that you have a real emotional investment in this egg scene, so why don't you save the snide commentary for some of those that actually think you're full of crap on this?
Indy's brother, please know that I'm just playing rough, eh? No offence or malice intended.:cool: Keeping the tone, anyone who thinks I & others are "full of crap on this" can cluck off!:p
Mickiana said:
I can't recall seeing the egg scene in the '84 theatre release here in Oz, nor on video release afterwards. You have to count me in as a doubter. You guys are counting your chickens before they're hatched!:p
Pale Horse said:
There just might be a reward in this with visual proof ... provided for all to see. Imma doubter too.
Guys, ask yourself this: Out of ALL the extra scenes in the novelization, why is the egg part the one to stick out in some people's memories as having been seen in the theatres?

I sincerely hope that JayDee's DVD will contain the scene so he can get the reward. (However, it still wouldn't prove that it was in some theatrical prints).

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
CALLING Moedred, any idea?:confused:
Long before I was a mod I mixed it up with Aaron H regarding the false memory of a stenciled American flag burning off the ark crate. Reportedly seen in some prints/releases/countries and not others (deja vu?) Though there was no evidence anywhere, the catch was you had to have waited until the end of the credits.

The egg scene rumor (sorry about the search function, even if I added the word it won't search retroactively) has more evidence. You've got the novelization, the production sketch, and the July 20, 1983 revised final shooting script, scene 19. If it was shot, the egg went straight from "the brink of the cage" to Indy's hand as Stoo suggests.

It helps explain (a little) why the pilots would crash Lao's plane and bail out in the middle of nowhere. But the arrangement of the props and Spielberg's instinct for streamlining scenes on the fly suggests to me it wasn't filmed. And alternate prints are less likely. Maybe there's unused footage somewhere (hours of second unit film pointed at a hen's backside in anticipation?) but doubtfully enough to construct a complete scene.

I rather suspect there's more to Dan Aykroyd's scene, though. More than the wide shot. They wrote him some great lines. His remaining dialogue always seemed abbreviated and dubbed.

Indy's brother

You know, if anyone could shed some light on this, it would be Eric Zala & Chris Strompolos:

We show up on the Universal lot, and go through these big Jurassic Park gates into Amblin, and we walk in and I say the most absurd words I?ve ever said, ?Hi, we?re here to see Mr. Speilberg.? We met with him for about 45 minutes and talked to him about Raiders, movies, life, and he was extremely warm and open and gave us some great advice; even showed us the blooper reel from Raiders and Temple of Doom.

Between the upkeep, The Indycast, and our other brethren here at The Raven, undoubtedly someone has enough of a rapport with them to ask them if they've seen it and get something resembling a straight answer. Again, the true believers wouldn't discount any lack of knowledge on their part as a dismissal of the scene, but it wouldn't hurt to ask....

I would suggest that unless you have first-hand experience speaking with these fellows, that we should restrain from blowing it by having a bunch of us flood them with emails. Anyone here want to answer the call? A link to their email can be found here.

@Stoo: consider it forgotten ;)

Mickiana

I am a doubter, but I want to be proven wrong. If it was filmed it would be great to see some footage. The whole point of Indy catching a precariously falling egg was to instill a sense of foreboding in the Chinese pilots and inflame their superstitious feelings about taking on Indiana in a direct attack. Hence they decide to jump and leave the hapless three to their fate. If it was filmed I can see why it wasn't included in a final cut. Without dialogue it assumes too much of an audience to figure out the relationship between Indy fortuitously catching a falling egg and the raising of the pilot's superstitious minds and foregoing laying into him with either a wrench, knife or gun. I mean, he accidently catches an egg. So what? Why not still just shoot him? Unless it was conveyed very well that the pilots were very superstitious and thus afraid to take on Indy because he caught an egg... See what I mean? Filming the egg rolling about and finally landing in Indy's hand would have been the easier part. Getting the audience to grasp the pilots' reaction would have been the difficult part and for me explains why the scene does not exist in a final cut. Why people are remembering seeing it I don't know. Indy's Brother's suggestion of contacting those guys seems a logical place to start in getting some leads.

JayDee

When it is a deleted scene, you won´t find it on a blooper reel (unless they screwed up when filming the egg scene and decided to put it on the blooper reel).

Wilhelm

Maybe it's a mixed memory with a scene in "The Goonies" when they open the door of the Walsh's house with an intrincate mechanism involving an egg. (Shorty was also in that movie produced by Spielberg).

In Star Wars there were people who remembered seeing the Biggs scenes in the theatre, when they really saw the deleted scenes in the making of documentary from 1977.

JayDee

Wilhelm said:
In Star Wars there were people who remembered seeing the Biggs scenes in the theatre, when they really saw the deleted scenes in the making of documentary from 1977.

That would be a nice solution in this case here, too, for me. Because then we´d have the evidence that the scene was definitely filmed and aired.

Sharkey

If memory serves we have people here saying it was in the theater home video and TV specials.

Created memories...that's all folks.

Sharkey

27 years and counting. Father Time let you tell your bed time story and put you to sleep where you can dream more dreams of eggs.

I remember an Erik Von Danniken story board where aliens tried to implant an egg in a human ass without breaking it.

The scene was later used in a Farrelly brothers film.

Hope you guys weren't altar boys too.

JayDee

You seem to read a lot of alien stories, but nonetheless the guy you are talking about is spelled Erich von Däniken.

Even in these 27 years, some people are convinced to have seen this scene. There just wasn´t so many platforms on the internet where they could exchange or debate their indentations. Memory can fake, yes. But it can also let you forget things.

And now I am tired of this conversation. All we can do now is our best to get the evidence, believers or doubters. Until then, it is just warm stinking air we are arguing about...

Sharkey

In all those years and more there are even more people who have not only seen aliens but have gone for a ride with em.

yup, memories can be fake. Just not yours. The doubters are open to the idea they are wrong but you guys aren't.

Evidence. Yeah evidence would be great. Let's see some.

FYI who cares about Van Haggen Daz? He's a joke. Hopefully your evidence is better than his.

Stoo

Moedred said:
The egg scene rumor (sorry about the search function, even if I added the word it won't search retroactively) has more evidence. You've got the novelization, the production sketch, and the July 20, 1983 revised final shooting script, scene 19.
Moedred, the July 20th script is part of the evidence that I've been preparing.:) Delving deeper, there's more proof to suggest that it was, indeed, filmed.
Indy's brother said:
Between the upkeep, The Indycast, and our other brethren here at The Raven, undoubtedly someone has enough of a rapport with them to ask them if they've seen it and get something resembling a straight answer. Again, the true believers wouldn't discount any lack of knowledge on their part as a dismissal of the scene, but it wouldn't hurt to ask....

I would suggest that unless you have first-hand experience speaking with these fellows, that we should restrain from blowing it by having a bunch of us flood them with emails. Anyone here want to answer the call? A link to their email can be found here.
I've talked with Eric Zala before about potentially showing "The Adaptation" at a film festival in Montreal so he may remember me (it was here at The Raven, actually, because he's a member). That said, how would his (or Chris') word be any more substantial than mine, chapter11/Josh's or any of the others who recall seeing it? (As JayDee already pointed out, they were shown the Blooper reel and not a Deleted Scenes reel.)
Mickiana said:
Without dialogue it assumes too much of an audience to figure out the relationship between Indy fortuitously catching a falling egg and the raising of the pilot's superstitious minds and foregoing laying into him with either a wrench, knife or gun. I mean, he accidently catches an egg. So what? Why not still just shoot him? Unless it was conveyed very well that the pilots were very superstitious and thus afraid to take on Indy because he caught an egg... See what I mean? Filming the egg rolling about and finally landing in Indy's hand would have been the easier part. Getting the audience to grasp the pilots' reaction would have been the difficult part and for me explains why the scene does not exist in a final cut.
For what it's worth, I can't vouch for the scene with the pilots because I don't remember that at all (even so, you're underestimating Spielberg's directorial skills).;) My recollection is closer to chapter11/Josh's in that Willie sees Indy catch the egg (but that's not 100%...it was so long ago). All I can say is, I have seen Indy catch the egg!
Mickiana said:
Why people are remembering seeing it I don't know.
Maybe it's because people saw it? What purpose would it serve for people to invent this memory (at different times on different forums)? Like JuniorJones said above in this thread, "These people have real memories, how can they not be true."
Wilhelm said:
Maybe it's a mixed memory with a scene in "The Goonies"...
Sorry, Wilhelm, but NO. You're suggesting that all the separate witnesses collectively transplanted a scene from "The Goonies" into their earliest memories of "Temple of Doom"? Don't think so...:rolleyes:
Wilhelm said:
If you could name a North American (or Australian) TV documentary that shows the scene, I might be inclined to agree with you. However, it's not in any that I know of...
Inexorable Tash said:
Meh, I "remember" seeing the scene in Raiders where Indy lashes himself to the periscope with his whip.

Like similar claims about having seen the Star Wars "Biggs Scene" in the theaters back in '77, this is far more likely to be a demonstration of memory plasticity than a grand conspiracy distort and conceal cinematic history. This almost certainly stems from having the Marvel Comics adaptation of Raiders,
Tash, the difference here is that the egg scene is not in the "Doom" comic adaptation but I like your Frosted Mini-Wheats statement about "strange memories of media are sometimes valid"!;)
Sharkey said:
If memory serves we have people here saying it was in the theater home video and TV specials.

Created memories...that's all folks.
Thus far it's been reported in:
-Some U.S., Canadian & Australian theatres.
-German VHS
-German TV special (not specials, plural):p
JayDee said:
Time will tell.
Indeed, "time will tell". (I've been holding off posting the supporting evidence that it was filmed just in case your DVD DOES contain this elusive scene.)