Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Brody

In China, the number '4' is considered unlucky.

It would be cute to work a line to that effect into the script for 5.

I guess I'm getting old as well and have low expectations . . . .

. . . . though the Disney ownership offers some hope.

It would be great to see a little love towards the fans. I love Kennedy and Marshal but it would be great if they could approach development of this film as a fan engagement opportunity ala the Fast and Furious franchise and seek some input from us diehards.

James

Lambonius said:
Yeah, I think there is plenty of precedent for a framing narrative within the Indy universe itself, let alone such film classics as Godfather II (what a great comparison--I'd love that.) I mean, we've already had Young Indy in Last Crusade, so the precedent of flashbacks has been established.

I was thinking more along the lines of a precedent in modern blockbuster filmmaking. There's a big difference between the (fairly common) gimmick of using a flashback as a prologue and having one run throughout the film using a younger actor. (Even The Godfather II wasn't focused on showing a dual storyline for Don Vito Corleone.) The only recent example I can think of is the proposed Die Hard: Year One project, but as mentioned, the general reaction to that idea hasn't exactly been enthusiastic.

Outside of this forum, news that Ford would return in "Indiana Jones 5" did not appear to elicit many "Oh, but there will probably be a younger actor playing Indy in a separate storyline running throughout the film" reactions. It also doesn't appear to be anything that has been suggested by any of the principals involved, so I was mainly wondering if I had missed some kind of update or rumor.

Kingsley

Knowing already that Ford and Spielberg will remain central pieces, I'm open to (almost) everything for Indy 5... as long as the script is good.

Bring Mutt, bring Sallah, bring Short Round (maybe not all at the same time); bring new characters, I don't care... all could work if it is skillfully written in. Even flashbacks with a younger actor as Indy in the 20's. Well executed this could be the key to embrace the idea of Ford being definitely replaced in the future.

Now, just hours after the brief announcement, is the time where everything we imagine could potentially happen.

So let me envision the door that opens after Indy 5... If they find a good enough actor for the role, a 20 something years old Indy in the 1920's would imply such a fertile age for iconic Indy adventures. Ford movies won't go away. But they could work as keystones in the timeline. A Canon that, on the other side, could restrict in some ways the path's to go with his story.
Not sure what could happen after a couple of sequels, when the timeline nears 1935 again. Maybe they should let those years go by, and jump straightaway to 1940, to WWII. Oh, I'd love to watch a movie with Indy in the middle of the nazi turmoil!!

DoomsdayFAN

I don't understand why they want to release it in 2019? Why not 2018? '19 seems like a ridiculously long time away.

At this point, I'm most excited to hear who Spielberg is bringing in to write.

Mickiana

DoomsdayFAN said:
I don't understand why they want to release it in 2019? Why not 2018? '19 seems like a ridiculously long time away.

At this point, I'm most excited to hear who Spielberg is bringing in to write.

Hopefully Kasdan, without anyone else co-writing.

Crack that whip

DoomsdayFAN said:

Disney's blockbuster tentpole roadmap is already fully mapped-out between now and then with Marvel Cinematic Universe, Star Wars and Pixar. July '19 is possibly the first free slot they have available.

Wilhelm

This could be Harrison Ford's swan song like John Wayne in "The Shootist":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6kdl4mbKhM

The action teaser could be a mini-adventure set in 1937 with a CGI de-aged Ford (No new actor) against nazis.

Then we could jump to 1967 with Old Indy retired that must go after the definitive archaeological artifact.

The selling points for the audience:

- Last Indiana Jones / Harrison Ford movie with Spielberg.
- Biblical or religious Mcguffin (No aliens this time)
- New prestigious co-star (Like Sean Connery in LC)

No reboot this time, but maybe in the future with other actor/director.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
....and seek some input from us diehards.

What's the over-under on details hosted on TheRaven being used in the next film?

With China a big player now in motion picture production, I'd love to hear about 4 being unlucky. Hell, I'd reward it.

kevster

Crack that whip said:
Disney's blockbuster tentpole roadmap is already fully mapped-out between now and then with Marvel Cinematic Universe, Star Wars and Pixar. July '19 is possibly the first free slot they have available.

And what's the earliest to begin filming? 2018? Don't know what Harrison and Steven got on their plate for 2017?

Udvarnoky

kevster said:
And what's the earliest to begin filming? 2018? Don't know what Harrison and Steven got on their plate for 2017?

Scheduling it three years out gives them the time to develop a script. I don't think they have a story yet.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I said at some point in the past that if there were to be a fifth film, I'd be willing to put a little money on there being a haunted castle sequence. I think I still stand by that, though a non-involved Lucas would bring the odds down.

Here's a discussion of other elements from the earlier drafts that never made it onto film.

Last edited:

Z dweller

James said:
If The Force Awakens is any indication- and I agree it's likely a huge one- we're looking at a relatively "safe" revival where Ford headlines while being heavily aided by younger co-stars.
I agree that it's likely to be a safe movie like TFA, but completely disagree with your "younger co-stars" angle, particularly in the plural.

Who would these be?
We already had Short Round the young protege and Mutt the rebellious son, what else do you envisage?

Perhaps some young archeology student(s) might work, but you have to look at the big picture here, mate. ;)

This is Disney's best and only chance to legitimize a new actor in the eyes of the fanbase, by introducing him in the context of a full canon movie.

Besides, Indy movies are not ensemble pieces like SW.
There's no better option for a younger co-star than young Indy himself. :gun:

Last edited:

Randy_Flagg

Udvarnoky said:
He absolutely can work.... I wouldn't have him jumping from a horse to a tank in motion, but the great thing about the character is that stuff was never really a crucial part of his identity.
For me (and many people, I think) that sort of thing is a crucial part of his identity, and not just his identity, but the identity of the entire franchise.
You can fashion an adventure story around an elderly archeologist exploring ruins.
They did that with the cemetery scene in Crystal Skull, and it didn't turn out so great, unfortunately. Hopefully they can find a way to make it work better if that's the route they choose to take.
Even when he boasted youth and a six-pack, Indy was often no match for the enemies he faced down and ended up having to get out of his jams through his wits and outrageous gambles. They could double-down on that aspect to really great effect.
True. But I think there's a difference between seeing a 30-something year old guy get pummeled in a fight, compared to seeing a man in his late 70s get pummeled. One is fun to watch, while the other is just kind of uncomfortable to watch.

Anyway, sorry again for sounding like a pessimist. I HOPE they can make this work, I really do. I'm just keeping my expectations in check for now. I'd rather expect little and then be pleasantly surprised if it turns out great. If nothing else, I do think we'll get a better story than we got with Crystal Skull (although, I wonder if they'll play it TOO safe and basically just re-do Raiders... oops, there I go, being pessismistic again! Sorry!)

foreignerfred

Udvarnoky said:
Scheduling it three years out gives them the time to develop a script. I don't think they have a story yet.

I think they have the story, but not the script.

The time before the release date gives LAWRENCE KASDAN all the time he needs to complete the script.

No, that hasn't been announced. But after The Force Awakens and Han Solo Begins (coming out the year before Indy 5), we have every reason to think Kasdan is probably part of the Indy 5 conversation.

Lucasfilm was able to bring him back into the fold for TWO more Star Wars movies. It's not too much of a stretch to think he'd come back to wrap up a series he started with the Beards.

His known schedule after the Han Solo movie looks open according to imdb, and I think the script is done on that, or nearly done.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Z dweller said:
We already had Short Round the young protege and Mutt the rebellious son, what else
Biographer Curt Henderson. An American Graffiti crossover was considered long ago.
Pale Horse said:
What's the over-under on details hosted on TheRaven being used in the next film?
About even.

Status
Not open for further replies.