Fate Of Atlantis : Best Indy Adventure Game Ever?

Randy_Flagg

Yep, FOA gets my vote. I really, really wish LucasArts would make another Indy game in that style. We know the "point n' click" adventure genre isn't dead (despite all the rumors to the contrary) because games like "The Longest Journey" and "Syberia" have managed to succeed. Sure, their sales don't compare to games like Half-Life, but each sold a sufficient quantity to warrant a sequel (Syberia 2 is due out early 2004, and the next Longest Journey is due out after that), so you can't tell me there's no market for it. And, those two games managed to do well WITHOUT an Indy license, so think how well a game like those would do if it HAD such a tie-in.

If you've never played Syberia, do so now. Look at the cinematics, and then imagine an Indy game having comparable ones... it would be fantastic. Games like Syberia and Longest Journey have the ability to grab you on an emotional level-- something a Tomb Raider clone could never do. So by mixing an Indy license with point-n-click mechanics, I think we'd see a really cinematic game unlike any other. Sadly, it will never happen because people who make such decisions simply aren't brave enough to take the risk (did you hear me LucasArts? That was a dare! Prove me wrong!)

bob

I think FOA is a good game but for me it is not as good as the other Lucasarts adventure games of the period simply because it had too many stale and occasioanlly incredibly annoying moments (remmeber reassembling the generator, and the theodilite those two puzzles are among the most irritating i have ever come across in an adventure game!)

For my all time favourite simply for reasons of pure nostalgia i would have to go for Indiana Jones greatest adventures

sttngfan1701d

Best Indy game? Hell, FoA is my favorite adventure game of all time and in my top 5 favorite games of all time!

and I agree, Randy. Syberia was an absolutely magnificent game. Second only to FoA on my list.

Webley

VP said:
But ET isn't an adventure game.... [/B]

ET not an adventure? than what is it. Im playing FoA now and it is a hard game but alot of fun. I dont see my self finshing the game for a long time.

IndyBeck

And furthermore ET is not very Indiana Jonesish. Okay, you can swing with your whip, but it is certainly not Indy-style to brawl a Nazi or whatever every 2 minutes. There are only few scenes that are very Indy-esque, for example when you drop the huge chandelier (or whatever) onto the half-dozen foes ...
*that* is how Indy would have done it. So usually he tries to avoid fights (as in the castle in Last Crusade), and though fist-fights and even gunfights are surely part of a good Indy-story, it is not correct to base a whole computer game on them...

And I dislike the plot somehow ... Did they tell us *why* Indy heads for Prague? Or did I just miss that (could be possible). And the levels got worse and worse ... Prague was the most fun, but as soon you are in China, everything feels quite repetitive ... always those lame demons - come on!

ET is not a bad game, and was good enough to shorten the waiting time for DVDs, but it's just an action game labeled Indiana Jones. Delete the hat and the whip, and you have just one of those action adventures.

And going semi-OT: Do physics allow swinging repeatedly with your whip without touching ground? I always was sceptical about swinging with a whip at all. Sometimes the whip loosens itself so you can just run on and sometimes it sticks to the thing you attached it to (as in Raiders, where Indy wants to exchange the idol for the whip ... or do I remember it wronly? The DVDs will be here on tuesday and I will watch). But swinging with the whip, loosening it and swinging on, without touching the ground - as done in ET several times - seems very far-fetched...

So my vote goes to FoA, with Last Crusade just behind. Though I'm not a friend of the obligatory Lucas(film)/Arts labyrinth passages ;-))

Andre

Gagnosity

Fate of Atlantis is definitely the best Indy game to date. Like the films, it has a near perfect balance among action, puzzle solving, and character interaction unlike more action oriented Indy games, which could just as easily be called "Doom 4: Indiana Jones"

Udvarnoky

FoA was indeed great, but I found the earlier effort, Last Crusade to be a better game. There's just something about it.

Randy_Flagg

Udvarnoky said:
FoA was indeed great, but I found the earlier effort, Last Crusade to be a better game. There's just something about it.

I haven't played much of "Last Crusade," so I can't really compare the two (I started playing it just a couple of months ago, but due to incompatibility problems there was no sound, so I can't judge it fairly. Also, it now looks seriously dated, so again, it's not a fair comparison.) But one thing that I liked about Fate of Atlantis so much was that it told a NEW Indy story. We had new characters, new locations, new twists... but it still FELT like a classic Indy adventure (something Infernal Machine and Emperor's Tomb failed to accomplish.) So in that respect, FOA still gets my vote.

IndyBeck

Randy_Flagg said:
I haven't played much of "Last Crusade," so I can't really compare the two (I started playing it just a couple of months ago, but due to incompatibility problems there was no sound, so I can't judge it fairly. Also, it now looks seriously dated, so again, it's not a fair comparison.) [/B]

Did you play the enhanced VGA version or the original version?

Andre

Clintwood

Randy_Flagg said:
Udvarnoky said:
I haven't played much of "Last Crusade," so I can't really compare the two (I started playing it just a couple of months ago, but due to incompatibility problems there was no sound, so I can't judge it fairly. Also, it now looks seriously dated, so again, it's not a fair comparison.)...

If you have incompability problems, you should use the ScummVM emulator. It is free and takes care of graphics and sound and run the game in the Windows environment. You'll find it at http://www.scummvm.org/.

Regarding FOA, I think it's grat. It was a long time since I've played it though. Just recently played Infernal Machine, and I loved that too. But I do not think you can compare these games. They are two different generations.

Indy 4

I wish I could Play Fate of Atlantis.......

I have some Indy games in my own collection, but I do not have Fate of Atlantis, which is the Indy game I want to play the most. I have NEVER played it, but I really do want to get my hands on one and try it out. rom the comments I read about from other Indy fans here, it sounds like it might be the best Indy game out there.
So far the two Indy games I like the most are Emperor's Tomb and the orginal NES version of Temple of Doom. I do have Infernal Machine, although it is a good game it is not quite as fun as Emperor's Tomb and Temple of Doom.