Fate Of Atlantis : Best Indy Adventure Game Ever?

nOOb

wow, indybeck, how can you say emperors tomb doesnt feel like indy?! O_o it feels more like the movies then any of the other games...ok i didnt get the part about prague either. had they explained that, the story would make a lot more sense. i think another way to improve the game would be to have only a few nazi fighters/triad cars chasing you, but with a lot more health, so you have to hit each enemy dozens of times. now it seems like you just shot down the entire luftwaffe...

[Edited by nOOb on 11-10-2003 at 12:37 pm]

IndyBeck

nOOb said:
wow, indybeck, how can you say emperors tomb doesnt feel like indy?! O_o it feels more like the movies then any of the other games...ok i didnt get the part about prague either. had they explained that, the story would make a lot more sense. i think another way to improve the game would be to have only a few nazi fighters/triad cars chasing you, but with a lot more health, so you have to hit each enemy dozens of times. now it seems like you just shot down the entire luftwaffe...

Yup, there is a perfect chase scene in the game called "Mafia". You sit in the back of a truck with a Thompson and 3 cars try to blow up your truck with their Thompson. That was really fun.
There should have definately been more vehicular action in the game, as in the movies. Brawling on a truck, on a speedboat, in a plane (trying to get it under control before it crashes) certainly would have made the game better. The only scene that came close was in the level where you had to shoot down all the planes, where you had to get rid off those two Nazi-guys on the other ... what's it called? I never shot them, but tried to start a cinematic fight.

I think they could have made it more like the movies. I don't like the parts that feel just like yet another 1st person shooter. When you brawl with those guys, throw them down an abyss, drop a huge chandelier on them, took all the stuff you could find to throw on them (I was hugely disappointed to find out that the weapons the knightly armours had attached to could not be used in Prague...), etc.: that was Indy! But many other levels felt ... lame. There should have been less villains, or (if there were many) the possibility to trick them (as with dropping the chandelier).

And the riddles were *much* too easy. For example the I-Ching one was the most obvious I ever saw. What was the point there? The music one was also solved without any prob, especially because you could hear the sound as often as you wished.

And I didn't like the last levels either, with constantly fighting demons with this magic boomerang in the Otherworld... well.

And the plot was very weak. They should probably have watched an Indy film before making it. It was pretty straightforward, without any twist, and with very stereotype villains.

I just couldn't see it possibly made into an Indy-movie (maybe a Tomb Raider movie ;-)) ). That was different with Fate of Atlantis (for most of the part, let's say 90%) and Last Crusade (well, obviously).

It was okay for the 20 bucks I payed, though it was not a revelation.

Andre

nOOb

yeah, there where too many zombies/spirits in the last few levels, and too few triad guys. there should have been a nazi dig level in the tomb with ss guys and triad thugs trying to fight the zombies.

using the prague armors spears and stuff is a good idea. maybe he could even WEAR the armor, and ambush guards as they pass by. "hey hans, why is that suit of armor holding a revolver?" -BANG! :D

a level with a drivable jeep would have rocked, maybe in ceylon? also when mei ying was captured, they should have taken her onto a junk. and indy could jump from boat to boat(maybe the triad would have a small fleet)fighting ninjas with a tommygun, and as he reaches the one with ying on it, THEN the sub pops up.

i know what you mean about the truck chase, i have mafia.

[Edited by nOOb on 11-10-2003 at 02:26 pm]

IndyBeck

Yeah, nOOb, that's it exactly. Let's hope they improve if for the next one.

'Nuff said.

Andre

[Edited by IndyBeck on 11-11-2003 at 03:38 am]

Indy 4

The only complaint I have against Emperor's Tomb is that the final bosses are TOO EASY! Mei Ying when she was possessed by Kong Tien looked liked she was going to be a very tough opponent. Only to find out that the orbs the Dragons held made her a very easy villan to defeat. Same goes with Kai when he took possession of the Heart of the Dragon, he looked tougher than what he really was. Three lousy hits with the skrum thing along with an elemental power and he was down for the count. Good game, but I wish the bosses were more of a challenge. The Kraken was really the only boss who gave me any trouble when I first played the game. Now the Kraken is as easy to beat as Kai, Tomb Raider games have more challenging bosses than Emperor's Tomb.
I'm hoping when I get Fate of Atlantis, that the bosses and puzzles will be more challenging.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
If you haven't already, try to beat the Frankenstein boss in Prague on hard mode. Took me about 7 tries.

Indy 4

First time I played Emperor's Tomb the "Frankenstein" looking monster took me a few tries as well. The monster though did not give me the problems the Kraken did, it took me a week and a half to beat it. Kei and Mei Ying only took about three to four tries the first time I got to them.
Next time I will try it on Hard mode rather than normal mode. Maybe the bosses will be more of a challenge.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah Kraken is a bit complicated. But when you know what to do, it's extremely easy.

IndyBeck

Indy 4 said:

I'm hoping when I get Fate of Atlantis, that the bosses and puzzles will be more challenging.

Then I hope you will not be disappointed: there are no ... "bosses" in FoA. It's a point&click adventure.

Andre

Indy 4

IndyBeck said:
Indy 4 said:

Then I hope you will not be disappointed: there are no ... "bosses" in FoA. It's a point&click adventure.

Andre

No "bosses" in FOA, it still sounds like it might be a good game. I still can't wait to get my hands on one.

Randy_Flagg

FOA is very good, but please keep in mind that we were judging it at the time it was released. Its graphics are now very outdated, the sound is MIDI, and, well, it's just not really up to current standards in terms of production values. That's not to say it's no longer fun, but please don't run back onto this forum after you play it and say, "What the hell are you guys talking about? Emperor's Tomb looks and sounds MUCH better than this crap!" Yes, we know it does. But that isn't why we like FOA.

Oh, and be prepared for the fact that even though it's an Indy game, there is virtually NO action in it whatsoever (there are a few "action" sequences such as fist fights, but don't expect them to compete with the fights seen in ET.)

Webley

Can some one tell me how to get Plato's Lost Dialogue and am I going to need the mayonnaise.
PS: What is the lost dialogue?

Randy_Flagg

The lost dialogue was one of Plato's many, um, dialogues... or books... or writings... or whatever you want to call them. This one pertained to Atlantis. You should be able to find it at any decent college library, so it's not really lost.

Getting back to the game, though, I can't remember how you get it. Sorry. Do a search on Yahoo for:
"Fate of Atlantis" +"walkthrough"

and you should be able to find some help.

BTW: If you want to read the real "lost dialogue" (also known as the Critias Dialogue), check this out:

http://www.morien-institute.org/critias.html

[Edited by Randy_Flagg on 11-13-2003 at 07:24 pm]

Finn

Staff member
Webley said:
Can some one tell me how to get Plato's Lost Dialogue and am I going to need the mayonnaise.

1. Use mayo on the third floor in the totem pole so you can get in the attic. Find a key hidden in a container there, then find a locked chest in the third floor. The book is inside... or not.

2. Find something sharp in third floor, then screw open the tipped-over bookcase in the library (cover your hands!) You'll find the book... or not.

3. Find something sticky in the library, then use it on you to get up the chute in cellar. Find something made of wax in the room above, then use something hot to melt it. There's your book... or not.

<small>Sounds like Monkey Island, I know... but is way more logical.</small>

Webley

Thank you for the tip Finn Im going to call in sick to work and get me that lost dialogue and the mayo.

IndyBeck

Randy_Flagg said:
The lost dialogue was one of Plato's many, um, dialogues... or books... or writings... or whatever you want to call them. This one pertained to Atlantis. You should be able to find it at any decent college library, so it's not really lost.

I don't think so. The Lost Dialogue doesn't refer to the parts of Timaios and Critias we have, but to the parts we've lost. The description of the fall of Atlantis end in the middle of a sentence, and we don't have the rest of the dialogue.

I think the "Lost Dialogue" is a ficticious, made-up "prop" referring to the lost parts of that text.

If anybody could find the lost parts, he would be the shiznit...

Andre