Spielberg hasn't lost it; he surrendered to Lucas

sunshinestate1992

We are not in the 80's!!!
You are not going to see an 80's action movie!!!
Youll see a 2000's action movie now. things change!!
we know we all enjoy them but open up for something new. Hes changed why cant you??
If you want an 80's action movie now, then you are in for a big dissapointment, or make one yourself...it could be awesome!!:D
but me..im fine with the movies now pretty much, and im not a film maker. So im going to sit back and wait for the new movie classics.not trying to relive and old classic. Even though raides is an homage to classic serials.:) :whip:

MolaRam2

salussolia said:
we know we all enjoy them but open up for something new. Hes changed why cant you??
If you want an 80's action movie now, then you are in for a big dissapointment, or make one yourself...it could be awesome!!:D
but me..im fine with the movies now pretty much, and im not a film maker. So im going to sit back and wait for the new movie classics.not trying to relive and old classic. Even though raides is an homage to classic serials.:) :whip:

Well Rambo 4 pretty much captured the 80s action movie feel, so Stallone proved it was possible to make an 80s style action movie in the 2000s.

sunshinestate1992

MolaRam2 said:
Well Rambo 4 pretty much captured the 80s action movie feel, so Stallone proved it was possible to make an 80s style action movie in the 2000s.
Well yeah but i dont know why some people want to live in the past or something. try something new :D

CasualJeff

Were Rambo and Rocky really that good? I never bothered to see the recent sequels. That's pretty funny if Stallone managed to out-direct Spielberg and Lucas.

CasualJeff said:
Were Rambo and Rocky really that good? I never bothered to see the recent sequels. That's pretty funny if Stallone managed to out-direct Spielberg and Lucas.

Yes they were very well done. Sly knows how to direct a sequel proper. And it's pretty funny/sad that Sly can direct a better film than these guys. :whip:

Niteshade007

salussolia said:

Believe me, I am no fan of the 80's in terms of films. I can only think of a handful that I truly love. But this film isn't good by any standards, regardless of when it was made.

MolaRam2

salussolia said:
Well yeah but i dont know why some people want to live in the past or something. try something new :D

I am only 22, but a big fan of classic films. I don't care much for modern movie making. Blockbuster movies seem to be getting dumber and dumber. Last year we had a giant robot pee on a guy, this year we get a flying fridge.

And yes Rambo 4 and Rocky 6 are awesome. Stallone made two old fashioned movies that are each the best sequels of their respective franchise. Rocky 6 is heavy in the character development department, which really causes the viewer to be emotionally attached to Rocky's character in the film. Rambo 4 is based on real events that occur in Darfur daily. Stallone wanted to show the audience how bad the genocide is in Darfur.

Stallone has offically outdone the Lucas/Spielberg team of the 2000s.

foreignerfred

Peacock's-Eye said:
Great, except there is no evidence for what you are suggesting, only your own fantasy.

FROM THE OFFICIAL INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL MAGAZINE:

Page 33:

STEVEN SPIELBERG: "I originally brought in Frank Darabont, who is not only a great writer and a great filmmaker as we all know, but is also a huge Indiana Jones fan and knows the genre. Frank agreed with great enthusiasm to come on board and collaborate with me, in writing his own script for a fourth installment. We had many great meetings and spent a lot of time kicking the tires and putting as many of George's ideas as we could into the mix, plus a lot of my ideas."

"Frank had a lot of original ideas and he certainly brought a lot to the screenplay and he delivered a draft that I was really happy with. It was Frank who said, 'Steven, for the fans--and I'm one of them--you must bring back Marion Ravenwood.' Frank insisted on this, and he put her in his version of the script."

"With pride, I sent George the draft that Frank had finished, but it simply wasn't the vision that George had in mind for a fourth installment of Indiana Jones."

This article also discusses the pain: http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=448

I'm not pulling stuff out of my Peacock's Eye here. There's plenty out there to suggest the thesis of this thread might not be as far-fetched as you'd like to believe.

sunshinestate1992

MolaRam2 said:
I am only 22, but a big fan of classic films. I don't care much for modern movie making. Blockbuster movies seem to be getting dumber and dumber. Last year we had a giant robot pee on a guy, this year we get a flying fridge.

And yes Rambo 4 and Rocky 6 are awesome. Stallone made two old fashioned movies that are each the best sequels of their respective franchise. Rocky 6 is heavy in the character development department, which really causes the viewer to be emotionally attached to Rocky's character in the film. Rambo 4 is based on real events that occur in Darfur daily. Stallone wanted to show the audience how bad the genocide is in Darfur.

Stallone has offically outdone the Lucas/Spielberg team of the 2000s.
i cant stand most movies either right now but i think if we wait someone make a good film

No Ticket

ResidentAlien said:
IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!

belloq.jpg

LOL... YEAH! That was fantastic! "Rich Jerks!"

deckard24

While I like KOTCS, I'm not unaware of its weaknesses, and I do agree there's a bit of an Ocean's 12 feel to the film! I'd agree with an earlier post made that Spielberg appears to be on autopilot, and a lot of the film was more about the fun of shooting it and hanging out with old friends/family, then delivering the absolute best Indy film possible! That seems completely reasonable and unfortunately true!

graz

deckard24 said:
While I like KOTCS, I'm not unaware of its weaknesses, and I do agree there's a bit of an Ocean's 12 feel to the film! I'd agree with an earlier post made that Spielberg appears to be on autopilot, and a lot of the film was more about the fun of shooting it and hanging out with old friends/family, then delivering the absolute best Indy film possible! That seems completely reasonable and unfortunately true!

Yes, that's a fair criticism. Its almost like it was all TOO much fun. I mean, I had a great time watching it because I thought it was terrific entertainment, but I can understand peoples complaints that the feeling of 'danger' seemed diminished.

As for Lucas and his 'influence' or otherwise. I think those of us who felt the Star Wars prelude trilogy had little or nothing in common with the OT have always placed the blame squarely at his door since he had full creative control. I feel he is paying the price for that with Indy. However, it is easy to overlook that Mr Speilberg has always had an aliens fixation - one he revisited not so long ago in War of the Worlds.

I don't know about you, but the alien at the end of KOTSC seems to have more in common with those at the end of Close Encounters than anything...

Lucas may be a lousy writer and have some incredibly juvenile ideas, but I don't think he is entirely to blame for KOTCS less popular elements! :)

Jones_Happens

A question for the Lucas-Haters out there. Do you really wish he would give up and retire? I agree with much that has been said about Lucas with regard to the SW Prequels and KOTCS, but I am still thankful that they were made. It's George Lucas who is responsible for reviving some of my favorite childhood franchises, so my child can view their legacy in a movie theater. For that, I am thankful.

The Man

Dovchenko said:
A question for the Lucas-Haters out there. Do you really wish he would give up and retire? I agree with much that has been said about Lucas with regard to the SW Prequels and KOTCS, but I am still thankful that they were made. It's George Lucas who is responsible for reviving some of my favorite childhood franchises, so my child can view their legacy in a movie theater. For that, I am thankful.

To be honest, I always felt the tsunami of bile spewed over Lucas and the prequels was utterly over-the-top. But I do feel that anger towards Skull. This man's infantile pigheadedness led to a sorry excuse for an Indy movie. It should not have been made as it was. Spielberg et al should have bade Indy farewell in 2004.

Peacock's-Eye

foreignerfred said:
FROM THE OFFICIAL INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL MAGAZINE:

Page 33:

STEVEN SPIELBERG: "I originally brought in Frank Darabont, who is not only a great writer and a great filmmaker as we all know, but is also a huge Indiana Jones fan and knows the genre. Frank agreed with great enthusiasm to come on board and collaborate with me, in writing his own script for a fourth installment. We had many great meetings and spent a lot of time kicking the tires and putting as many of George's ideas as we could into the mix, plus a lot of my ideas."

"Frank had a lot of original ideas and he certainly brought a lot to the screenplay and he delivered a draft that I was really happy with. It was Frank who said, 'Steven, for the fans--and I'm one of them--you must bring back Marion Ravenwood.' Frank insisted on this, and he put her in his version of the script."

"With pride, I sent George the draft that Frank had finished, but it simply wasn't the vision that George had in mind for a fourth installment of Indiana Jones."

This article also discusses the pain: http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=448

I'm not pulling stuff out of my Peacock's Eye here. There's plenty out there to suggest the thesis of this thread might not be as far-fetched as you'd like to believe.
Maybe you'd like it of someone took a character you created, and a project you shepherded into reality, out of your hands. Indy has 2 Daddies, accept it. Indy without Lucas isn't Indy. And not only do I prefer KCS to CotG, but YIJ, done entirely without Senoir Spielbergo, is one of the best things Lucas has ever done. Spielberg hardly "surrendered", he contributed alot of the stuff you don't like to KCS! It's a partnership, they both bring strong and weak ideas.