General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Indy's brother

Dr. Gonzo said:
It's 9:55 out here in L.A. wonder if we'll be lucky enough to hear about anything Harry said soon...

I'm searching different terms in an endless cycle on google news waiting for something:
"Harrison Ford"
"indy 5"
"indiana Jones"
"Arclight"

It could be said that I have no life, and that would probably be right. But I'm also unemployed and becoming obsessed out of boredom, so cut me a little slack....

Oh, and nothing yet, btw.

No Ticket

*note for some reason I was on page 95 and thought I was at the end of the thread when I wrote the below post and thought it was relevant to the current conversation, it's now actually slightly off buuuut sorry lol*

I can't really explain WHY exactly, but the role of Indiana Jones is one of the few I consider to only be playable by one actor. I think Harrison just plays the part so perfectly that in most fans minds they really see the two as one. If I never saw how Harrison played him, and only read the lines as they were written in the script... I don't know if I would have found the character as interesting. If I had see Raiders, but with a different lead, I don't know if the actor would have poured in all the right ingredients. Harrison being who he is, Harrison Ford, instills some kind of charisma and charm that only he can add. Anyone attempting to actually do the same would never quite work as well and I think I'd have a tough time accepting the character.

I mean, even down to the look Harrison is perfect. I don't know about anyone else, but every time I see someone dressed up as Indiana Jones I always feel like they don't REALLY look the part. Think about all the different actors out there, who would really look as good in the fedora and jacket as Ford? There's just something about the guy. Ever notice how hard it is for toy makers to get Harrison's face just right? And often it makes the figure of Indiana Jones seem off? That's how important and synonymous Ford has become to the role.

I don't think anyone else should play Indy... because my interest in the continuation of the character on film is always tied to him as Harrison Ford. When I read IJ novels I always picture it as Ford in my mind. It's like Ford IS Indiana Jones. And in some ways that's completely true.

This is of course, my own view on it. I'm sure not everybody is as wacko for Ford as me. I wouldn't be against a different actor playing him in the distant future, but for now I want to see what Ford's Indy is up to now in the next installment.

I also think, it will be a lot easier for audiences to accept an older Indy after KOTCS having come out. I don't really think Ford's age really hurt the movie or anything. The things that didn't work were not the fault of Indy's advanced age, which is what most people were expecting.

Lance Quazar

Indy's brother said:
As I posted previously in this thread, Harrison Ford will be interviewed today (May 19th). Apparently some unnamed "filmakers" (directors? producers?) will be in attendance.

It's a long shot ("long shot"may be an understatement) for this to be relevant, but as someone said here recently, "hope dies last!"

I can't believe I didn't know about this.

I'm now going to kill myself.

foreignerfred

indyjones2131 said:
According to collider looks like nothing Indy related was even asked. Damn. Hopefully they're wrong.

The only way this could be true is if the questions were pre-screened to weed out Indy-related questions to keep it all Star Wars for a Star Wars event.

There are too many crossover Stars Wars/Indiana Jones fans. Certainly ONE of the fans in the room wonders about Indy 5! I mean, Harrison would get asked about Indy when he promoted his last film...which wasn't even close to a genre film!

But alas, there must not have been much in the way of news (or the improbable announcement of Indy 5) or it would be all over the web by now.

I'm such an optimist. I'm clinging to that Karen Allen bit about shooting Indy next summer. I'm hopeless.

Indy's brother

foreignerfred said:
There are too many crossover Stars Wars/Indiana Jones fans. Certainly ONE of the fans in the room wonders about Indy 5! I mean, Harrison would get asked about Indy when he promoted his last film...which wasn't even close to a genre film!

But alas, there must not have been much in the way of news (or the improbable announcement of Indy 5) or it would be all over the web by now.

I'm such an optimist. I'm clinging to that Karen Allen bit about shooting Indy next summer. I'm hopeless.

Something should surface, obviously something small. Otherwise you're right, it would be all over the internet by now. Somebody somewhere recorded something with a cellphone. Just like GL's Q & A recently. His Indy comment didn't make the news either.

Honestly, I never fully bought into the Karen Allen autograph quote. It just seems hinky to me. Too definite, can't be sure of it's authenticity, why would she give out that kind of info when no one else involved wants to get pinned down for an answer? If Karen Allen signed an autograph like that for me, I would have pressed her for some more details than that. I'm sorry, but I'm just not convinced.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Indy's brother said:
Something should surface, obviously something small. Otherwise you're right, it would be all over the internet by now. Somebody somewhere recorded something with a cellphone. Just like GL's Q & A recently. His Indy comment didn't make the news either.

Honestly, I never fully bought into the Karen Allen autograph quote. It just seems hinky to me. Too definite, can't be sure of it's authenticity, why would she give out that kind of info when no one else involved wants to get pinned down for an answer? If Karen Allen signed an autograph like that for me, I would have pressed her for some more details than that. I'm sorry, but I'm just not convinced.

The letter is real. I sent Ms. Allen several photos along with an inquiry on her to make a convention that I am organizing in New Haven for 2011. The ComiCONN 2011 is to have a "Raiders" 30th theme and since she lives only about two hours from here I asked if she could come down. She offered the info about "Indy 5" filming which may be a conflict. In general she probably doesn't think a simple note was going to be put ad part of an IndyCast or TheRaider posting. I had the note for awhile and was hesitant to post it as to not get in any "leaked" info. But as I saw her on YouTube videos discussing the possible filming of Indy 5 it seemed like public knowledge do I put it out there.

Unlike 99% of the posters, I use my real name. I write for theraider and indycast and wouldn't want to throw away any credibility I had with a faked letter. On top of that gang I am 43 and besides being involved in the fan community with websites, podcasts and conventions I have been a vp and director of marketing for 20 years and last year ran for public office. I have better things to do than "wasting my time faking a letter by Karen Allen" on a sequel to a film her costar can't stop bad mouthing. So if you think it's not authentic that is your choice. The letter sits in a plastic sleeve in a binder with all my other autographs u have acquired over the years. You can see it and maybe Karen Allen next year at ComiCONN if things work out. If she shows up or is filming Indy 5 the fans won either way!

foreignerfred

Mitchellhallock said:
The letter is real. I sent Ms. Allen several photos along with an inquiry on her to make a convention that I am organizing in New Haven for 2011. The ComiCONN 2011 is to have a "Raiders" 30th theme and since she lives only about two hours from here I asked if she could come down. She offered the info about "Indy 5" filming which may be a conflict. In general she probably doesn't think a simple note was going to be put ad part of an IndyCast or TheRaider posting. I had the note for awhile and was hesitant to post it as to not get in any "leaked" info. But as I saw her on YouTube videos discussing the possible filming of Indy 5 it seemed like public knowledge do I put it out there.

Unlike 99% of the posters, I use my real name. I write for theraider and indycast and wouldn't want to throw away any credibility I had with a faked letter. On top of that gang I am 43 and besides being involved in the fan community with websites, podcasts and conventions I have been a vp and director of marketing for 20 years and last year ran for public office. I have better things to do than "wasting my time faking a letter by Karen Allen" on a sequel to a film her costar can't stop bad mouthing. So if you think it's not authentic that is your choice. The letter sits in a plastic sleeve in a binder with all my other autographs u have acquired over the years. You can see it and maybe Karen Allen next year at ComiCONN if things work out. If she shows up or is filming Indy 5 the fans won either way!

Mitch!

I was just prepping a response that defended your honor and integrity, but you beat me to it!

I personally believe that Karen wrote that seeing you as a "public appearance contact" and didn't think much about it. Mentioning Indy 5 was right in line with your correspondance because it's a Raiders celebration, etc...

Also, from her surpise about "carving out a place for her in KOTCS" and the fans, I don't think Karen actually understands fanboy frenzies, and didn't consider it to be a big deal.

Or she's all kinds of messing with us.

Thanks for sharing the only "real" Indy 5 announcement to date.

AND we appreciate all you do!

Ff

Montana Smith

Mitchellhallock said:
Please excuse any typos on my post as I am writing this and driving on the way to look at sites for 2011 Comiconn

Typing and driving sounds dangerous... Typos are preferable to crashes!

I don't doubt the authenticity of the note, but I'm not sure whether Karen was being serious or merely mischievous.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
You're welcome. And if I find out anymore about Ms. Allen's availability for next year I will let you know unless I have to sign a nondisclosure agreement like my pals who were working on Indy 4. :(

RedeemedChild

foreignerfred said:
The only way this could be true is if the questions were pre-screened to weed out Indy-related questions to keep it all Star Wars for a Star Wars event.

There are too many crossover Stars Wars/Indiana Jones fans. Certainly ONE of the fans in the room wonders about Indy 5!

LOL. That's just the thing. Things like Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, Cameron's Avatar, Star Trek and most especially Star Wars have a far greater fanbase and excitment meter than sadly “something brown” like Indiana Jones, The Mummy or Bones whatever else some people deride as being "brown".

I’ve heard so many people (particulary youth) deride Indiana Jones as “brown and boring” while they praise stuff like Star Wars and Star Trek. However, perhaps peoples views will change with the smashing new “brown” and action packed Prince of Perisa: The Sands of Time from Walt Disney. I mean, one can hope right?

Indy's brother

Please forgive my cynical nature Mitchell, and try not to take it personally. Understand that a picture of some handwritten words from across the internet, just aren't as convincing as a quote from the Associated Press, or a video showing these words coming directly out of her mouth. Especially since it is a quote that is such a bombshell in comparison to everything else we've heard thus far. It's not my intention to discredit you, or even the quote itself. I'd love it to be true!! All I know is that it doesn't jibe with any other quote out there, and I'm sure you can understand why a rational person who doesn't know you might be a little apprehensive about it.

It would make the most sense to me if she was simply joking.

on a side note, one of my wife's friends was decapitated last year texting while driving!! Not good! we'll be here after you get to your destination ;)

RedeemedChild

Indy's brother said:
Please forgive my cynical nature Mitchell, and try not to take it personally. Understand that a picture of some handwritten words from across the internet, just aren't as convincing as a quote from the Associated Press, or a video showing these words coming directly out of her mouth...

Truth be told, truth be told. I agree with Indy's brother on that.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
I'd love it to be true!!

All I know is that it doesn't jibe with any other quote out there, and I'm sure you can understand why a rational person who doesn't know you might be a little apprehensive about it.

It would make the most sense to me if she was simply joking.

That's how I looked on the quote. My cynical nature tells me that in the drought of Indy V news it's too good to be serious. My optimistic side, however, wants to believe, of course, that Karen wasn't joking.

Time will tell!

EddyW

Not in the video you just posted, but it's not the entire interview. I think that if he had spoken about Indy 5, we would have heard it by now through other canals though.

Prime Blue

EddyW said:
I think that if he had spoken about Indy 5, we would have heard it by now through other canals though.
I don't think he would spurt out any big reveals, so it's still likely that a small blurb just didn't find its way to the net yet. At this point in time, I'm sure anyone here would be happy with just a small sign of life.

Anyway, I think all eyes should be at Comic-Con. I guess you could start to worry if it's not announced there.

foreignerfred

Prime Blue said:
I don't think he would spurt out any big reveals, so it's still likely that a small blurb just didn't find its way to the net yet. At this point in time, I'm sure anyone here would be happy with just a small sign of life.

Anyway, I think all eyes should be at Comic-Con. I guess you could start to worry if it's not announced there.

Right on. I think there should be an announcement there if it's going to happen (on Karen Allen's time table!).

When is Comic Con anyway?