General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Hanselation

foreignerfred said:
Right on. I think there should be an announcement there if it's going to happen (on Karen Allen's time table!).

When is Comic Con anyway?

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/index.php
ccihdr_r1_c2.gif

ccihdr_r2_c2.gif

:whip:

And here you'll find LucasFilm -Arts -Books at Comic-Con:

http://www.comic-con.org/cci2009/cci_exhib_2.php

And Hasbro.

Last edited:

lao che & sons

I hope there is an anouncement at least for screen writer :cool: :D or that it's been greenlighted:D (y) :cool: :) ;) :D :p :D etc. etc. But I can almost guarantee that there's going to be an anoucement by lucasfilm.....

for yet ANOTHER star wars animated series:rolleyes:

The Tingler

RedeemedChild said:
LOL. That's just the thing. Things like Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, Cameron's Avatar, Star Trek and most especially Star Wars have a far greater fanbase and excitment meter than sadly ?something brown? like Indiana Jones, The Mummy or Bones whatever else some people deride as being "brown".

I?ve heard so many people (particulary youth) deride Indiana Jones as ?brown and boring? while they praise stuff like Star Wars and Star Trek. However, perhaps peoples views will change with the smashing new ?brown? and action packed Prince of Perisa: The Sands of Time from Walt Disney. I mean, one can hope right?

Considering Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was the most successful movie worldwide in 2008, and that most yoofs are praising the f***ing Star Wars Prequels or the new Abrams Star Trek rather than proper Trek, I'm quite happy with that.

If they're going to get younger Indy fans, they have to do an exceptional job with Indy 5 (and quickly) or make a superb action-packed animated series.

kongisking

The Tingler said:
Considering Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was the most successful movie worldwide in 2008, and that most yoofs are praising the f***ing Star Wars Prequels or the new Abrams Star Trek rather than proper Trek, I'm quite happy with that.

If they're going to get younger Indy fans, they have to do an exceptional job with Indy 5 (and quickly) or make a superb action-packed animated series.

You have a good point here, despite the fact that I loved the freakin' pants off of Star Trek. Mostly thanks to Chris Pine's very Han Solo/Indy-esque performance.

Montana Smith

The Tingler said:

The target audience for KOTCS was certainly the younger market, with the employment of Mutt to counteract the old man syndrome. That's the market where mass sales of toys bring in the revenue - though in the case of KOTCS that didn't seem to go according to plan as the toys went quickly to sale and lines were pulled.

So...

With that in mind, hopefully Lucas and Spielberg will appreciate that Indy doesn't have a huge younger fan base (as Star Wars possesses), and therefore Indy V can be geared to the more mature market -a family movie that will suit the whole family, rather than pandering so much to the younger section with over-the-top spectacle, and a young would-be hero (Mutt) overshadowing the real hero (or anti-hero if we go back to his roots).

Lucas can't help himself dumbing down greatness by piling on inane humour - such as the awful Jar-Jar -to help children get past the more adult concepts in the script. Humour in ROTLA was slick and well placed, but in KOTCS it certainly wasn't.

For Indy V they need to take a step back and think of those who grew up with the originals. (Since Lucas made the same mistakes with Star Wars, and is apparently unrepentent, this may be too much to hope for).

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
The target audience for KOTCS was certainly the younger market, with the employment of Mutt to counteract the old man syndrome.

For whatever it's worth, these are the current demographics for my recently started "1,000,000 strong for a 5th Indiana Jones Movie!" Facebook page:

Male Female
77% 22%

Male Female
13-17 6% 3%
18-24 11% 5%
25-34 22% 5%
35-44 27% 5%
45-54 11% 2%
55+ 0% 3%

This is representative of 598 fans in 20 countries.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
For whatever it's worth, these are the current demographics for my recently started "1,000,000 strong for a 5th Indiana Jones Movie!" Facebook page:

Male Female
77% 22%

Male Female
13-17 6% 3%
18-24 11% 5%
25-34 22% 5%
35-44 27% 5%
45-54 11% 2%
55+ 0% 3%

This is representative of 598 fans in 20 countries.

Those are interesting figures, which, retrospectively, if replicated as Indy-viewing trends, would seem to indicate that KOTCS missed its mark by aiming for a younger audience, but instead attracted those in an age bracket who grew up with the originals. The very age group that would likely be disappointed by KOTCS.

This should be ammunition to argue for a more mature Indy V.

Indy's brother

Sorry! I screwed up! Those were the demographics for people that have posted on the page in the last week! I'm an idiot. Here's the numbers for people that have joined:

Male Female
68% 32%

13-17 6% 4%
18-24 15% 6%
25-34 20% 7%
35-44 21% 9%
45-54 4% 4%
55+ 2% 1%

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Sorry! I screwed up! Those were the demographics for people that have posted on the page in the last week! I'm an idiot. Here's the numbers for people that have joined:

Male Female
68% 32%

13-17 6% 4%
18-24 15% 6%
25-34 20% 7%
35-44 21% 9%
45-54 4% 4%
55+ 2% 1%

They're not a million miles apart. The demographic still shows that two-thirds are 25 and over. Only one in ten are 17 and under. It also indicates that the legacy of KOTCS failed to capture a massive younger audience.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
They're not a million miles apart. The demographic still shows that two-thirds are 25 and over. Only one in ten are 17 and under. It also indicates that the legacy of KOTCS failed to capture a massive younger audience.

As mentioned in another thread, whilst I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think what those figures probably reflect more than anything else is… when TLC was made, Harrison Ford was still probably the most popular male movie star in the world. Circa 20 years on, his name doesn’t mean that much to a younger audience, who’d automatically gravitate more towards a Robert Downey Jnr or Johnny Depp. It's possible that KOTCS wouldn't have appealed to anyone under the age of 25 if it wasn't for Shia.

Get Downey Jnr or Depp a role in Indy V and we’re onto a winner… ;)

foreignerfred said:
Right on. I think there should be an announcement there [at Comic Con] if it's going to happen (on Karen Allen's time table!).

When is Comic Con anyway?

Don't want to sound undully optimistic or anything, but based on KOTCS an announcement could be made any time up to January 2011 and still fit in with Karen Allen's timetable of a Summer 2011 shoot and Summer 2012 release.

I.e. KOTCS: 31 Dec 2006 announcement for Summer 2007 shoot and Summer 2008 release; Indy V: just move everything on 4 years. I added a further month to the announcement date as from memory the announcement was bumped forward as it was about to be leaked.

So, sadly, we will still have to hold onto our hopes till January next year before we can begin to bring closure to these forlorn hopes...

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
As mentioned in another thread, whilst I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think what those figures probably reflect more than anything else is? when TLC was made, Harrison Ford was still probably the most popular male movie star in the world. Circa 20 years on, his name doesn?t mean that much to a younger audience, who?d automatically gravitate more towards a Robert Downey Jnr or Johnny Depp. It's possible that KOTCS wouldn't have appealed to anyone under the age of 25 if it wasn't for Shia.

Get Downey Jnr or Depp a role in Indy V and we?re onto a winner? ;)

In that other thread (Shia: We botched...), I wrote:

Montana Smith said:
It will be impossible to get 100% public acceptance - if that was what was being attempted in KOTCS it was obviously a failure. This should therefore guide Lucas and Spielberg's decisions for Indy V.

KOTCS looked like a sop to garner support from both ends of the spectrum: the original fans who wanted to see Harrison, and a new younger audience who would look to Shia as their hero.

In KOTCS Shia was supposed to inject a youthful dynamic, yet he did botch that attempt. The problem now is, if Indy V requires a young sidekick to sell itself, can they return to Shia? Can he be more convincing next time around, without taking the focus completely away from Harrison?

I'd like Indy to go the solo route, but accept that it's an idea unlikely to come to life. This could be the sticking point, delaying any commitment to Indy V: KOTCS didn't gain a lasting young fan base. Therefore, is there still a big enough market for another movie beyond the dedicated fans at boards such as these?

On that basis, the only way forward would be to have a young actor of the equivalent talent of a Robert Downey Jnr or a Johnny Depp to take the role of the younger hero/sidekick. Shia didn't convince in KOTCS and I can't see him returning to the role of Mutt, and especially not becoming the 'next Indiana Jones'.

StwongBwidge said:
Don't want to sound undully optimistic or anything, but based on KOTCS an announcement could be made any time up to January 2011 and still fit in with Karen Allen's timetable of a Summer 2011 shoot and Summer 2012 release.

I.e. KOTCS: 31 Dec 2006 announcement for Summer 2007 shoot and Summer 2008 release; Indy V: just move everything on 4 years. I added a further month to the announcement date as from memory the announcement was bumped forward as it was about to be leaked.

So, sadly, we will still have to hold onto our hopes till January next year before we can begin to bring closure to these forlorn hopes...

It's a long time to wait, and it's be nice to know whether Lucas is even thinking seriously about the subject.

HJJNR

...take the hint!

I know its been said here before about " hearing something by a certain time or just accept it wont happen" and I think that time has come with the comiccon.
If we dont get some kind of information by then we can assume that it wont happen, we get no news, take the hint; aint happening.

Ok the Harison Ford age thing wasnt a problem in Skull but from my experience once you hit close to 70 your body decides enough is enough, having worked with our citizens of senior age and I honestly think (how ever much we all love Harrison Ford) he will simply be too old for any kind of action genre flick, maybe not looking old but he will have to have so many body doubles and stunt doubles that we will be removed from the action. Ford said himself (John Hurt was quoting ford in an interview) "Movie goers come to watch me (ford) doing my own stunts and the whole action thing myself not a stuntman... they sure as hell havent come to watch me act"

I agree, in every Indy film we see ford doing his own stuff, less so in Skull. i just dont want a repeat of Sean Connerys League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The only thing he did in that film were the close ups hee hee!

I think if we dont hear anything by comiccon then lets let Indy smoulder out rather than have a last shot with a lead who cant run from danger rather be wheeled outin a chair. I mean ZERO disrespect to Harrison Ford, the man is one of my favourite actors, having grown up with his movies. I just think you have to knowwhen to say enough is enough. Just my opinion.:)

Last edited:
HJJNR said:
I know its been said here before about " hearing something by a certain time or just accept it wont happen" and I think that time has come with the comiccon.
If we dont get some kind of information by then we can assume that it wont happen, we get no news, take the hint; aint happening.

Ok the Harison Ford age thing wasnt a problem in Skull but from my experience once you hit close to 70 your body decides enough is enough, having worked with our citizens of senior age and I honestly think (how ever much we all love Harrison Ford) he will simply be too old for any kind of action genre flick, maybe not looking old but he will have to have so many body doubles and stunt doubles that we will be removed from the action. Ford said himself (John Hurt was quoting ford in an interview) "Movie goers come to watch me (ford) doing my own stunts and the whole action thing myself not a stuntman... they sure as hell havent come to watch me act"

I agree, in every Indy film we see ford doing his own stuff, less so in Skull. i just dont want a repeat of Sean Connerys League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The only thing he did in that film were the close ups hee hee!

I think if we dont hear anything by comiccon then lets let Indy smoulder out rather than have a last shot with a lead who cant run from danger rather be wheeled outin a chair. I mean ZERO disrespect to Harrison Ford, the man is one of my favourite actors, having grown up with his movies. I just think you have to knowwhen to say enough is enough. Just my opinion.:)

I would have to disagree...I mean Harrison will be in Cowboys & Aliens for next year...I'm sure he will do a lot of action in that movie...Even in his 70's he will still have what it takes...look at these pics from the Empire Strikes Back Screening: http://www.starwars.com/fans/events/esb30th_screening/index.html

To be honest...He is not looking old at all...not any old than he look in KOTCS...and I'm sure Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford are not even worrying about Ford's age for Indy V, because they know he can deliever a great performance...action and acting wise.

So we WILL most likely NOT hear anything at this coming ComicCon...but I'm sure we will by the end of the year. When I saw Karen Allen back in October, she seemed pretty sure that Indy V will happen. We just need to wait and see...Right now they are quietly working on it, we just need to be patient!

-Chris

RedeemedChild

HJJNR said:

I hate that it has come to this; yet everything you've said is indeed very true. Harrison Ford is coming to the end of his road very fast as far as action-based acting is concerned.

I really believe we aren't going to be seeing a fifth Indiana Jones movie at all and that is very sad, very sad indeed. It almost hurts.

Still, I think or to be more precise, "hope" that Indiana Jones will live on, at lest on the smaller screen in an animated television series and that all depends on wither or not George Lucas will acknowledge the petitions of fans and if he is willing to step aside from his beloved Star Wars projects for a little bit.

I know that some things don’t last forever, and it seems as if George Lucas doesn’t really care if Indiana Jones dies as it is not his “sandbox” of joy. Mr. Lucas has said that Indiana Jones is his “side project” when he has nothing else to work with or wants a breath of fresh air.

At lest we’ve got the future of Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia to fall back on. However, both of those franchises can head south at any moment and they don’t have the same charm and magic about them as did Indiana Jones back when there was no Mutt and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to give damage to the flawless Indiana Jones empire.

Stoo

RedeemedChild said:
...they don?t have the same charm and magic about them as did Indiana Jones back when there was no Mutt and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to give damage to the flawless Indiana Jones empire.
"Damage to the flawless empire"?:confused: You are a hypocrite beyond belief. According to you, "Skull" is/was your favourite Indy film!:rolleyes:

Indy V: Folks clamoring for another movie are losing perspective. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Yes, older fans will remember the five year gap between "Doom" & "Crusade" and the 19-year gap between "Crusade" & "Skull". Now, after only 2 years some of you people are getting upset at the lack of news?