Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Stoo

AlivePoet said:
Oh gosh, I miss Montreal...

I'd better be careful what I wish for though...I may well be forced to go back if tensions escalate to the point of war here.
I miss it, too. There's a photo coming up soon which I think you will like (think: Leonard Cohen);) When/if you come back, you won't recognize the intersection of Ste. Catherine / Jeanne-Mance!:eek:

Here's more:

"I found the cave on Mont Royal. An inscription inside spoke about an old church. There are dozens of them on & off the island but I've narrowed it down to 3. This is Notre-Dame Basilica in Old Montreal, built in the 1820's on the grounds of the former church. The original dated back to 1672."

Indy_Canada_Montreal_09.jpg

"Saint James United Church on Ste. Catherine St. This was built in 1889 but in the 1920s, the front facade was completely covered by commercial buildings which were recently removed. No one has seen these stained-glass windows for almost 100 years."

Indy_Canada_Montreal_20.jpg

3rd church coming soon...

Stoo

Hope I'm not posting too many photos...

Here are the city raccoons on my rooftop who had an encounter with Dr. Jones. No photographic evidence:( but Indy fought them off with his only weapon, his umbrella!

Indy_Canada_Montreal_24.jpg

"I'm still on the hunt for the church the clue pointed to so here I am at the Old Port."

Indy_Canada_Montreal_13.jpg

"Behind me is the geodesic dome designed by the famous, Buckminster Fuller, for the American pavilion in the 1967 World Exposition. Even though it suffered a fire in '76, it's one of the only pavilions left standing." (This is where Indy kept falling over and losing his money!:D)

Indy_Canada_Montreal_10.jpg

This one's for Rocket. The amusement park, La Ronde, in the background under the Jacques Cartier bridge. Indy's had enough off rollercoasters...

Indy_Canada_Montreal_11a.jpg

"Wait! I think I can see the church I'm looking for!" (Molson Brewery is the brown building on the extreme left.)

Indy_Canada_Montreal_11b.jpg

Indy is off to Malta on Friday!

inky_skin

@Stoo - I've been absent from the site for a while due to work and family commitments, but just wanted to chime in and say I'm enjoying your stellar work (especially your custom Indy props - don't think I hadn't noticed) and looking forward to Malta !

inky_skin

map_recent.jpg

1 - UK (inky_skin) - DEPARTED 06-May-10
2 - Switzerland (Stoo) - ARRIVED 11-May-10 / DEPARTED 13-May-10
3 - Canada: Kingston (Stoo) - ARRIVED 13-May-10 / DEPARTED 16-May-10
3 cont. - Canada: Montreal (Stoo) - ARRIVED 16-May-10 / DEPARTED 23-May-10
4 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 24-May-10 / DEPARTED 28-May-10
5 - Malta (Stoo) - ARRIVED...
6 - Switzerland (Stoo)
7 - Afghanistan (Billy Ray) NOTE: Stoo - please ensure Indy arrives with Billy Ray in time for him to reach Rocket before the second week of July
8 - East Coast USA: New Jersey / Princeton (Rocket Surgeon)
9 - Orlando (theinterchange)
10 - Indianapolis (bonoferox)
11 - West Coast USA: Culver City (Lance Quazar)
12 - West Coast USA: LA / SoCal (Pale Horse)
13 - West Coast USA: San Francisco (NickTurner)
14 - West Coast USA: San Francisco (InexorableTash)
15 - West Coast USA: San Francisco / New Orleans (Le Saboteur)
16 - Australia: Queensland (hemble)
17 - Australia: Canberra (indy34)
18 - Australia: Geelong (Ed Dolista)
19 - Korea (AlivePoet)
20 - Austria (DoomTown)
21 - Scotland (adventure al)
22 - UK (inky_skin)
23 - Canada (throwmetheidol)

Stoo said:
A concern I have is wearing out the joints of the figure. (I remember some of my Kenner "Star Wars" figures would get worn out and would hardly be able to stand anymore.) Is there a danger of this happening to Indy because he already feels not as tight as when I first received him last week. It's getting more difficult for him to hold things in his hand. Is there a way to rectify this?
You could try boiling and reshaping his hands (and allow them to cool in the revised position). Frankly I'd be tempted to glue to case into his palm :)

Stoo said:
People have been watching as I've been taking the photos and the ones who are interested enough to inquire about what I'm doing have all been cute babes. One was a super-hot, French chick cop and when she found out it was Indiana Jones, she squealed with delight. Now, I'm not suggesting this is an ideal way to meet women but it seems to work.
Indiana Jones: Helping people get laid since 1936 ;)

Stoo

inky_skin said:
@Stoo - I've been absent from the site for a while due to work and family commitments, but just wanted to chime in and say I'm enjoying your stellar work (especially your custom Indy props - don't think I hadn't noticed) and looking forward to Malta !
Lance Quazar said:
GREAT new pics. Malta sounds like a real adventure! Hope you two have a blast!
Glad you're enjoying them. Really lookng forward to the trip but, unfortunately, I won't be as free to take photos in Malta and will be lucky if I get anything more than 3 or 4 (my girlfriend doesn't know anything about this and don't want her to find out.:eek: Shhh!)
inky_skin said:
You could try boiling and reshaping his hands (and allow them to cool in the revised position). Frankly I'd be tempted to glue to case into his palm
Will try that, but wouldn't even think of gluing it. That would seriously confine him to a limited amount of poses. Nice to hear you like my custom prop, Inky! I'll include it in the Zip-loc baggie for kicks. Maybe he could collect other props along the way! Question: Do you mind if I add a new sticker to the luggage?

For consistency's sake, you might as well add Neuchâtel to ititenrary item 02.

More Indy in Montreal:

"Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel built in 1771 on the site of an older one from the mid-1600s. The statue is referenced as "our lady of the harbour" from Leonard Cohen's famous song 'Suzannne'. Climbing this tree is kids' play." (This photo is dedicated to AlivePoet and ResidentAlien.)

Indy_Canada_Montreal_12.jpg

"The last metro is due any minute!"

Indy_Canada_Montreal_07.jpg

"Damn! Missed it! Now I'll have to walk back to the hotel."

Indy_Canada_Montreal_08.jpg

Stoo

Indy in Montreal c.1932

Double post but something I wanted to mention:

In Marvel's, "The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones" #4, Gateway to Infinity, the following exchange takes place after Dr. Jones and companion escape from a tunnel in the London Underground, 1936:

Karen Mays: "That was quick thinking, Indy!"
Indiana Jones: "Thanks but Montreal should get the credit! I worked a dig there a few years back. A subway construction crew had uncovered a Seneca Indian burial ground. I learned a lot about Senecas. And subways!"

-A subway construction crew in the early '30s? NO WAY! They only started digging in 1962!

-The Seneca in Montreal? Erm...no. Even though the digs yielded hoardes of First Nations artifacts, the Seneca tribe were not in the area.

AlivePoet

Ah that blue metro...

But damn those bastards for raising the price to $2.75 a ticket. (n) Or has it gone up again? :rolleyes: Gov't thievery. And the metro isn't even very good. A subway ride in Beijing costs roughly $0.30... :rolleyes: And they have better air con too...

But the PT aside, Montreal is the best ;)

Montana Smith

Stoo, you're really setting a great benchmark with your photographic record of Indy's journey. When Indy finally gets home he's going to need a massive photo album for this trip!

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
"I'm still on the hunt for the church the clue pointed to so here I am at the Old Port."

Indy_Canada_Montreal_13.jpg

I meant to comment on this photo before. Was the name of the ship intentional?

Indy's looking for a church, and de Sauniere was the name of the priest at Rennes le Chateau, a key point in the theory of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail , which lead to Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code.

Stoo

Professor Jones Returns From Malta

04 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 24-May-10 / DEPARTED 28-May-10
05 - Malta (Stoo) - ARRIVED 28-May-10 / DEPARTED 31-May-10
06 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 31-May-10 / DEPARTING (tomorrow hopefully)

Indy has returned from Malta relatively safe & sound. The only damage suffered was a lost luggage sticker. Will have to check the photos to see, approximately, when it fell off. It might help determine why it did. The 1st sticker which fell off in Switzerland was recoverd and re-applied but this recent one is gone for good.

On the upside, I managed to get many more shots than anticipated but most of them were taken guerrilla-style, some behind my girlfriend's back (literally, since I even took a photo of Indy directly behind her head and she didn't even notice!:D)

A few more Montreal pics to come before I post the Malta trip but here's a sneak-peek at Indy's Mediterranean adventure:

Indy_Malta_Preview.jpg

AlivePoet said:
But damn those bastards for raising the price to $2.75 a ticket. (n) Or has it gone up again? :rolleyes: Gov't thievery. And the metro isn't even very good.
The price is still the same. $2.75 is indeed criminal but I think the metro is quite good (except for the fact that it doesn't go to the West Island).(n)
Montana Smith said:
Stoo, you're really setting a great benchmark with your photographic record of Indy's journey. When Indy finally gets home he's going to need a massive photo album for this trip!
Hope I'm not posting too many photos. I'm sure others will be able to capture some better snapshots. So many great ideas came to mind only until AFTER it was too late and the camera I'm presently using was not made for this kind of photography!:(

The Saunière name on the ship was unintentional. Pure coincidence, I'm afraid, but a nice one.:)

P.S. Still no takers from Chicago? C'mon, WE NEED INDY IN THE WINDY CITY!:whip:

inky_skin

Don't worry about the luggage labels Stoo. That preview for Malta looks killer - seems that you've finally hit your stride with the photography. Presumably you've hooked up with Billy Ray and everything is squared for Afghanistan ?

I'd like to go on record as saying (and I hope everyone seconds this), your tenure as Indy's host has been AWESOME. Thanks for kicking this project off with such dedication and passion.

Onwards ! And remember, a journey is not an adventure until something goes wrong...

Lance Quazar

STOO!

GREAT Malta pic! Cannot WAIT to see the rest. Awesome focus and the location is pure Indy!

I agree with Inky, you have gotten this project off to a wonderful start! Great stuff!!!

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Hope I'm not posting too many photos. I'm sure others will be able to capture some better snapshots. So many great ideas came to mind only until AFTER it was too late and the camera I'm presently using was not made for this kind of photography!:(

You can never have too many photos! As Inky said, your Indy trip is fantastic!

Stoo

Mini-anda Jones

Thanks for the kind words, stout yeomen. Very much appreciated. Unfortunately, the Malta preview pic is the sharpest of the lot so don't expect too much!
inky_skin said:
Presumably you've hooked up with Billy Ray and everything is squared for Afghanistan?
Yes, Billy Ray and I have been communicating and I have his mailing address but, like an emotionally attached foster parent, I have grown to love mini-Indy as my own and will be keeping him. I have spoken at length with Indy about this and he would like to stay with me, too, so we are currently pursuing a legal course of adoption and his journey has come to an end. (We've picked out a colour for his new room and will begin painting this weekend.)

Just joshin'!:p I don't wanna say 'goodbye'...*sniff*:(

Stoo

More Mini-ana Jones in Montreal

Indy missed the last metro so he's walking back to his hotel...

"'The Bay' department store. The Hudson's Bay Company has been around since 1670 and is one of the oldest companies in the world. Certainly the oldest in N.America. I should have dropped in earlier to have a look at their hats. The prestigious hatter down the street, Henri-Henri, is too expensive."

Indy_Canada_Montreal_19.jpg

"This is supposed to stay kiddie-friendly so I'll keep to this side of the street. Not my type of place, anyhow." (Another "Abbey Road"-type photo.)

Indy_Canada_Montreal_18b.jpg

P.S. The Raven calling Chicago...Come in, Chicago...

Last edited:

Stoo

Penultimate Pics of Indy in Montreal

"Dad must have known about this. The Canadian Black Watch. This Royal Highland regiment formed during the American Civil War and fought in the Boer War, both World Wars, Korea and Afghanistan. Something I found in The Sailor's Church in Old Montreal points toward Afghanistan...oddly enough...I'm gonna have to go there..." (Photo dedicated to adventure_al)

Indy_Canada_Montreal_22a.jpg

"A '57 Chevy Bel Air. Crazy kids...They should stick to something more modest, like my old '34."

Indy_Canada_Montreal_22b.jpg

"Absurd lines and I don't like the color...I prefer black or green."

Indy_Canada_Montreal_22c.jpg

Billy Ray

inky_skin said:
Onwards ! And remember, a journey is not an adventure until something goes wrong...

Indy will definitely find plenty of adventure here...things have been quite adventurous as of late.