LucasArts early 90's graphic adventures

LucasArts early 90's G.A. - Which Serie is te best?

• Maniac Mansion & Day of the Tentacle

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade & Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Votes: 34 70.8%
  • The Secret of Monkey Island & Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

Kingsley

In years when creativity and a good story were a stength to balance still primitive graphics, LucasArts (then LucasFilm) released a number of graphic adventures that are some of the best games of that time and all times.

I can think of 3 series of 2 games each that where part of that Era:

- Maniac Mansion & Day of the Tentacle
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade & Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- The Secret of Monkey Island & Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

I enjoyed the three series a lot, but I will go undoubtely with the Monkey Island serie.(y)
The best, more imaginative and funny of all. Pirates of the Caribbean surely took a good look to the world and tone Monkey Island shows.

Never played Monkey Island, but the other two are both wonderful...

...still, FOA destroys everything else. Such a fantastic game... so my choice is with the Indy games.

Kingsley

ResidentAlien said:
Never played Monkey Island, but the other two are both wonderful...

Well, I think you would have enjoyed Monkey Island a lot at the time you played the other series.

Kingsley said:
Well, I think you would have enjoyed Monkey Island a lot at the time you played the other series.

Hah, oh man I play the other games all the time. If I'd have enjoyed it as a kid, I'll enjoy it now. Scumm games have lost no magic for me. In fact, I like them more now than I did back then.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I voted for the Indy games, but I should explain why.

Of the games of the era, Day of the Tentacle is possibly the best individual game. It's just constantly fun, funny, and engaging. The time travel thing just works against all odds. But Maniac Mansion, despite being an innovator, just has never captured my attention.

Monkey Island vs. Indiana Jones is a toughie, but I eventually had to go with the dry improbability of so much of the humor in the Indy games over the delightful anarchy of the Monkey Island games. And despite there being some real gameplay issues with it, the Last Crusade graphic adventure was seminal to me, and immensely charming.

Finn

Staff member
The Indy games aren't exactly "series". They're two individual adventures, and in some odd way, FoA has always felt more connected to the movies than its adventure gaming predecessor.

Kingsley

Finn said:
The Indy games aren't exactly "series". They're two individual adventures, and in some odd way, FoA has always felt more connected to the movies than its adventure gaming predecessor.

Yeah, I know.
But I couldnt find another word to conect similar games from those years. I think Last Crusade & Fate of Atlantis are more related in a possible "unity" than other Indiana Jones games as Emperors Tomb and Infernal Machine, and both belong to the same "family" as the Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island series.

Matinee Idyll

All the way with Sam and Max.

72.jpg

Then Tentacle.

Then IJ FOA.

Then Monkey Island 2.

Then Full Throttle.

Then Monkey Island 1.

Then The Dig.

Then LC.

Then... what else was there?

JerryKing

I actually never had any feelings, good or bad, for any of the others (Sam and Max being the exception), so Indy has no competition here...

Niteshade007

I was a kid in the 90's (born in 88) and I don't remember any of these games. I guess I never played them. I do recognize the dog and the rabbit though. Not sure from where, but they do look familiar. I'm not sure what console these were for, but the first one I got was an N64, so that might explain why I don't know these. I'm assuming that they weren't made for them.

Kingsley

Well, I played them at an old PC, XT... 8 Mhz speed, LOL!

Monkey Island 1 used 8 low density floppy disks 5.1/4... and that was a lot!! Almost 3MB!! :D

IrishLuck1980

I'm old enough to remember when LucasArts got heavy into PC Gaming. I remember going to the mall with my parents and seeing new releases like X-Wing and Tie Fighter. Man, to me, that was the Golden Age of PC Gaming.

Grizzlor

I remember those days too Irish. LucasArts, IMO, produced the best PC games for many years throughout the early and mid 90's. Unfortunately, I had hideous a 386 then 486, which made playing the Star Wars games very difficult. I also didn't have enough hard drive space to install the games. Finally in 1995 I got a Pentium 1 with 4X CD, 1MB Video, 500+MB Hard drive, and like 32MB RAM. I had played X-Wing and FoA and Rebel Assault, as well as the two awesome Star Trek graphical adventures 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites previously. Then I bought them all on CD right away, and the improvement in graphics in addition to the great audio and voices was huge. I actually spent the time to play the games through and enough them. Prior to CD, I just wasn't pleased with PC games. In fact, in X-Wing, when I made it to the Death Star levels, I actually had half the neighborhood at my house watching me play them.

Kingsley

Grizzlor said:
when I made it to the Death Star levels, I actually had half the neighborhood at my house watching me play them.
Things like that where only possible in those early days... it was like the Silent Movies Era, when the crowd was an active part of the show! :p

Zorg

Sam & Max was always the one for me.. I just loved that game. I still play it occasionally. The Monkey Island adventures and Day of the Tentacle are great too. The humor, the dialogue, the graphics ? there just wasn't a match for the old LucasArts adventures, and there still isn't, if you ask me.

Heck, they're all great. Absolute classics. But they really should've done the sequel to FoA that never got anywhere beyond planning stages. I guess everyone here agrees. ;)

Yeah, man they were the good old days when if you saw Lucasarts on the box you knew it was a great game. I must have played through Tie Fighter and X wing Alliance twenty times each, I still adore those games above all others. Noones mentioned Grim Fandango which in my opinion was one of the best written, and plotted games ever produced. That was one hell of a game...

Damn, now I'm itching to play them but my games collection is in a different country... Blast!:mad:

The Tingler

Full Throttle!

I think this poll's a little unfair, being put on an Indiana Jones fansite.

Monkey Island 2 is the finest game of all time. Grim Fandango comes a close second.

Fate of Atlantis is utterly brilliant and the closest thing we have to Indy IV until the film comes out, but both that and Last Crusade were marred by dull maze sections with constant backtracking. And personally I think Atlantis itself is very boring. Apart from the cool submarine section the game drops in quality once you reach Crete.

And this is from someone who loves the game!