the gun indy should have used

indy used a webley 38 revolver ,very solid gun yet it was clunky and lacked any real stoping power .
i feel that the colt 1911 .45 cal would have been a wiser choice.

1. the 1911 would stand up to the riggors of travel just as well as the webley

2.the 1911 holds more rounds

3.the 1911 is faster to reload

4.1911 has a smaller profile,makeing it easy to hide

5.semi autos are easy to break down for repair/cleaning ,double action revolvers are not as easy to repair in the feild

6. the .45 cal bullets will tumble when they hit bone(you get hit in the knee and it comes out of your ass-crack)

7.the .38 cal may fire flater(less drop) than the .45 cal ,but its stoping power is weak makeing the target more likley to flop around. the .45 on the other hand left a hole you could slip your wrist in to

bah that aint nothing compared to an ak47 :p

Or a missile launcher

Now speaking seriously i really dunno why he used a webley been that a british weapon (i think), when as u said he could have used a smith and wesson as he did in raiders or a colt ;)

yah but......

the colt 45 began production in 1911
after ww1 ended surplus .45 pistols were dime a doz.
indy could have goten one quicker than a british made webley

Webley

Is a Webley the same gun used by the Belgians in WWI and if so Indy served with those guys and would haved been used to the gun.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
hatcameback said:
indy used a webley 38 revolver

No he didn't. In Raiders he used a Smith & Wesson .45 ACP Hand Ejector 2 with a shortened barrel. In Temple of Doom he used a Colt New Service M1917. In Last Crusade he used a Webley & Scott .455 Mark VI.

Stoo

Any clue as to the pistol that Indy handed over to Belloq
at the beginning of Raiders? S&W? I would imagine it was
the same prop used in later parts of the film... :confused:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Jones-Jr.com says that it was a Smith & Wesson 1917. Here's a couple of pics:

gear_sw_1.jpg
gear_sw_2.jpg
gear_sw_3.jpg
gear_sw_4.jpg
gear_sw_5.jpg

"should" was the main word

thank you vp the info you posted shows indy has no fear of larger bore handguns.and that he needed stoping power.
i feel the 1911 should have been his gun is all,

if you were indy what would use ?

Deadlock

hatcameback said:
indy used a webley 38 revolver ,very solid gun yet it was clunky and lacked any real stoping power .
i feel that the colt 1911 .45 cal would have been a wiser choice.

I think you made a decent case for the practicality of the 1911. I also think that the original creators of Indy were on the same page, but decided to replace the Colt with the Browning HP (Hi Power) for practical reasons.

It is said that this gun is preferred by the movie industry and may have been used in the filming of Raiders as a stand-in for a .45 because 9mm blanks are more reliable than those of .45 caliber, resulting in fewer re-takes.

Michaelson in the Gun FAQ at IndyGear.com said:
I heard that 9mm Browning HiPowers are often used in films instead because they take blanks easier. Is Indy's backup gun actually a Colt .45? The original idea was to have Indy carry the big Colt 1911 A1 in the first drafts, but in later revisions it was determined that the Browning model 35 (Highpower) should be put in it's place, as the acquisition of blanks and adapters would be much easier for the movie prop man to obtain, considering they were shooting the movie on two different continents. The actual scene, according to Lee Kepler, was to show Indy go to his desk while talking to Marcus (just before going after the Ark), pull out the big Smith in the rag AND the Browning and determine which gun to take. He would have determined to take both, and toss them into his suit case. It was decided to cut the scene short, and he only pulled out and tossed the one revolver in the shot. His explanation of how he obtained the P-35 was to say he got it in a poker game with a Belgium officer. This would be logical, as the P-35 was only adopted and put into military contract with European forces technically 1 year before Raiders even took place. It would be extremely doubtful that Indy could ever find one in the commercial market at that particular time. The interesting thing about the comparison between the Colt .45 ACP and the P-35 .9mm is that the .45 holds 7 rounds, where the .9mm holds 13. If you take the time to actually count to number of times Indy fires the semiauto in the Nepal gun fight, the count conforms with the number of rounds held in the big Colt. If he had a fully loaded P-35 when he pulled it out of his pocket, he probably would not have had to reload during the fight at all. But after all these years of debate, it has finally been determined that was the P-35 that he pulled out at Nepal and on the freighter, and the additional behind the scenes explanations only came about within the past few weeks. Michaelson

theinfiniteweird

I'm not being a kill joy, so keep discussing despite my opinion...

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think Steve, Harrison, and George didn't care what kind of gun he used as long as it looked the part? I mean, we don't say "he should've used a camel hide Johnson-Mark whip instead of a leather PvP whip." (I just made those names up).

Besides, if I were Jones, I would've skipped the handgun and went straight to the bazooka...although a bazooka can be a bit clunky for those archeological digs...and chase scenes. :p

Last edited:

Battleflail

Got to throw in with Hat. Indy should have carried a 1911. (Although the 9mm Browning was designed by the same guy: John Browning) In the movie poster I have for Raiders, I always thought the grip sticking out of the holster looks more like a 1911 than a revolver anyway.
Hat is right about knockdown power. The .45 kicks butt.
I have to carry a .40 on duty (I always thought a .40 was a compromise for people who didn't feel like they had enough gun with a 9mm but couldn't handle a .45) but my off duty guns are .45s. Yes, I have 1911. ;)

darn tootin

the colt 1911 was used from w.w.1 untill 'nam
i think indy would have known a clasic when he saw it .the gun has stood the test of time
JUST like the indy movies have.
raiders of the lost ark may be an old movie yet it is still more fun to watch than most of the crap put out today

Battleflail

the crap put out today

To quote yourself, "Darn Tootin".
Also, it is interesting to see that many of the HRTs, Spec War teams, and many PDs have gone back to the venerable .45. How come? Stopping power. Last I knew, the FBI HRT was using Para-Ordnance, and the D-Boys (Delta Force) used the .45 since the beginning. Guess they know a good thing when they see it.
(I still think the gun in Indys holster on my poster is a 1911) :D