the gun indy should have used

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
Yeah - the 1911 is a great gun - but let's not count the Webley MKVI out of the game so easily.

That pistol was developed before WWI and used throughout both world wars, especially popular with British fighter pilots of the WWII period.

The Webley is built like a tank - hard to break and takes a lot of punishment. Yeah - it's not so accurate at longer ranges, but peace be with the person who takes a round from it at short range. (wince)

Indy was no fool for carrying it in Last Crusade. It's an intimidating pistol with the power to match.

Mike

War Eagle

Always thought Indy's gun would have been ... should have been the 1911. Pretty sure that was the intention in the original script. At least we know it was a 45 automatic in Nepal.

From the Raiders of The Lost Ark Script
Indy is poised there, the whip in his right
hand, a .45 automatic raised toward them in his left...

. Indy's .45 barks and the Nepalese dies spinning
against the bar. Indy fires in the direction of the
Mongolian...

I believe the Browning used in the bar was indeed a "stand-in" for a 1911 Colt 45.

IAdventurer01

I rather like the Webley. I'd use the updated Webley MK VI .455 over older Webleys, though.

Last edited:

Indy Parise

I know Nazis used the mauser but who cares. It shoots a lot of lead and has a great range. He could have used a Desert eagle but it wasn't invented yet. The D-Eagle is the only pistol that can shoot 50 calliber bullets.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
IAdventurer01 said:
Yeah, and how many Nazi's has Indy taken care of? He probably could have used one. :)

I think he used a Mauser when he shot five nazis with one bullet on the tank.

Pale Horse

Staff member
just to ensure accuracy....

Fact:

The Remington 1868 Rolling block Navy model .50 caliber pistol was the first .50 cal cartridge pistol. With about 25 grains of black powder and a 300 grain lead bullet, it was considered a helluva' manstopper in its day. It worked so well, as a matter of fact, ammo continued to be produced by Remington and WW into the 1920s. Of course the six shot 1873 Colt SAA and its competitors signaled the death knell of the single shot individual personal protection kinetic energy system. A few Springfield trapdoor rifles in 45-70 and 50-70 were converted to pistols over the years and then interest waned. WW II took up a lot of time and resources and the next real innovation was the 44 Magnum.

Fiction:

Indy Parise said:
The D-Eagle is the only pistol that can shoot 50 calliber bullets.

The D-Eagle was the first mass produced Automatic Handgun to chamber the .50, but it is not the only pistol that can shoot it.

broomstick for his boomstick

the mauser broomstick is a fine gun for the traveling man.
it needed no tools to take it apart,the pistol had olny 2 screws on it ,they held the wooden handgrips on to the frame.
the workings of the gun were all interlocking.
its 9 mm rounds were the same as used in the luger but it held more rounds
and was loaded from the top of the reciver with a striper clip,thus makeing reloading faster.

.44 mag

the 44 mag was made in the 20's by the remington company for big game hunters to use as a sidearm.i have a ruger blackhawk .44 mag that i have used in deer hunting.
if a skiny litle punk like me can shoot the 44 mag than a manly man like indy would have had no problem holding it up.

at the time of indy's adventures it was the most powerful pistol going.
if you were in napal about to go up aganst the nazi army with olny a sidearm wouldent you want the badest assed pistol you could get?

Pale Horse

Staff member

hatcameback said:
the mauser broomstick is a fine gun for the traveling man.
it needed no tools to take it apart,the pistol had olny 2 screws on it ,they held the wooden handgrips on to the frame.
the workings of the gun were all interlocking.
its 9 mm rounds were the same as used in the luger but it held more rounds
and was loaded from the top of the reciver with a striper clip,thus makeing reloading faster.

hatcameback said:
the 44 mag was made in the 20's by the remington company for big game hunters to use as a sidearm.i have a ruger blackhawk .44 mag that i have used in deer hunting.
if a skiny litle punk like me can shoot the 44 mag than a manly man like indy would have had no problem holding it up.

at the time of indy's adventures it was the most powerful pistol going.
if you were in napal about to go up aganst the nazi army with olny a sidearm wouldent you want the badest assed pistol you could get?
biggrin.gif

I like this guy