The Mayan Calendar and 2012

Pale Horse

Staff member
With the advent of the Jewish New Year (5766), I got to thinking: "Which calendar is the Mayan Calendar linked up too, and why?"

I am relatively naive to this sort of history, so I thought I would present it to the members that know best.

next_exit

Pale Horse said:
With the advent of the Jewish New Year (5766), I got to thinking: "Which calendar is the Mayan Calendar linked up too, and why?"

I am relatively naive to this sort of history, so I thought I would present it to the members that know best.

Not sure I quite understand the question you're asking, but there are tons of resources about the Mayan calendar. My favorite (and in my opinion one of the best) is Robert Sharer's treatment in The Ancient Maya. Wikipedia also has a good rundown of the "why" regarding the 2012 date, etc. Even though I study the ancient Maya in graduate school, I find understanding the calendar one of the most difficult challenges because it's such a different way of thinking about cyclical time and the way the earth operates.

Doc Savage

No expert...but oddly enough I was just looking into this the other day. I seem to remember a special I saw in my fevered youth. Something about nature turning against man...dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria...

There are many different ways to interperate the ending of an age. Some may believe that the "end" means "mass hysteria" or some form of Armeggedon,or to others maybe just the positive opportunity to start anew,sort of a re-birth or a new age for man. When Archeologists, scientists,mathemitcians researched the calender they agreed that the Calender ended on the year 2012. So in result of the research and speaking to the Indigenous descendants from the Mayan people astrologers found their cyclical marker. Basically the cyclical marker is the Paleidian star system which our galaxy(being the milky way)orbits another star system. We,being earthlings, pass the closest to that star system every 26 thousand(thats what I remember anyway its something like that, Im sure its an approximation)One full cyclical orbit around the Paleidian star system is marked on the mayan calender as some sort of figure usually an animal or totem and then dots and lines to mark that cycle. So anyways here we go again we are going to be closer to the Paleidian star system on 2012(approx) than we have been in a very long time,actually the Mayans believed that there was another cycle of how many times the milky way circled the neighbor star system. On the calender it shows that it was an enormous amount of time ago that we were this close to the star system,it was the begining of the calender that was the last time we were this close,we get very close every so many hundred thousand years or so, this full cycle is the extent of the calender.Ive read the Mayans believed that their ancestors were from the Paleidian's who were a higher evolved species. New Age fanatics say man will enter into the light age of higher vibratory concieousness and wil start using more of the dormant parts of our brain to function on a more psychic level. This all being triggered by a magnetic tide like the moon that effects our body/mind and as we pass close to the star system we enter into the realm of our alien ancestors, and they pass knowledge onto us now that we have learned that voting fo rGeorge Bush was a mistake,Or something like that. Truly what is interesting though is that alot of ancient tribes and Indigenous cultures have calenders that end on 2012. The Hopi indians from the southwest, and The I-Ching calender(from the Chinese) as theorized by the Mckenna Brothers also ends on 2012. The Mckenna Brothers are entertaining and their theory very,very interesting but I wont go into that. Anyways its a fascinating subject and I cant wait for that news years party!

Last edited:
Actually "Ive heard this bed time story before". Thats all this Paleidian story may be,actually in fact it is closer to 18000 years every short rotation and 5000000 for the long count. The point from where the axis could be, no one knows,some speculate Sagitarius some the Northstar,and yet others the Paleidian star system. So there is no definite answer to what was the major point that the milky way was orbiting but they where amazingly able to calculate the winter solstice as being in Dec 2012 and that being the end of their long count. Or whatMckenna called "the time wave zero",a point in space that the Milky Way was on axis with and something the Mayans used to base their calendar on. When The solstice arrives in 2012 the calendar ends and "point time wave zero"is achieved,this being some sort of evolving to understand the morphing of time and space. The Incas had huge stones that would channel the ancient spirits through the stone to a certain star during a perfect alignment. These stones still exist and not all have been damaged by the Spanish missions . These stones still correlate with the Mayan calendar as to aligning on Dec 26 2012,the winter solstice.

Doc Savage

ninepinejones said:
the star system is spelled pleidian...
Of which only six stars are visible to the naked eye...and yet Job mentions them as the "seven stars" (using the Hebrew word Cimah) in Job 38:31, well before the invention of the telescope. Just in case anyone was interested...

It does interest me. It reminds me of stories I heard of the Aborignal tribesman in Australia that had drawn star systems thousands of years of ago (that only now astronomers are finding) onto cave walls. These tribesman had to endure massive sand and wind storms while hunting in the dessert. As they scanned the open space and looked for any prey the sand would blast their eyes and after thousands of years they developed an extra layer of thin mucus membrane that protected the eye. At night when they gazed in wonder at the stars this extra membrane refracted light and acted as an extra lense magnifying the planets and galaxies far,far away. The Aboriginal stories I have heard always amaze me.

The Aboriginals and The Mayan both have petroglyphs that are thousands of years old that resemble astronauts. It seems uncanny,it seems far fetched to many but not to me. The Mayan culture and the Aboriginals both believed their ancestors came from the stars,the Mayans believing that 2012 was some sort of home coming or reuniting with Gods. This ofcourse is interesting when suddenly in the early 90's huge fleets of UFOs were seen hovering over Mayan ruins and the Mexican government still to this day can not begin to handle all of the sightings by Pilots,police,Governmnet leaders and civlians. The difference between the american government and the Mexican is that the Mexican does not deny UFO's and just wants to know themselves what the heck is going on. The director of the FAA equavulent for Mexico has stated that he is concerned for the saftey of his pilots because time after time the UFO's approach civilian and governmnet planes.

Gear

The Mayan calender "Matches up" with the ancient Chiness and Aztech calenders and predictions made by Merlin and an old British hermit (much like Merlin of whom I have forgotten her name but lived long ago) as well as the visions the native Americans had in that they all end at the year 2012. Many have belived that this is the end of the Earth and all who inhabit it however Silvia Brown (for those of you who don't know her she is a world renown phycic) has predicted that the end of humanity will come in about 95 years. True, many have been predicting the "end of days" for generations but, puting my supernatural thaughts aside, the pase of the world is picking up; there are tensions of nuclear war, global warming, religius/ race war (Helter Skelter), N.E.O's and I'll say it: alien anialation. I have heard people say that they believe that the year 2012 will not bring about the end of the world but the end of the world as we know it.
Signs are being given to us, I think we just need to try to impact the world in as best of ways as we can.

Gustav

Ninepine, you seem to know a lot about this. Have you been reading up on this for a long time and could you recommend some references?

No expert...but oddly enough I was just looking into this the other day. I seem to remember a special I saw in my fevered youth. Something about nature turning against man...dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria...

I think I've seen that special too. Real wrath of God type stuff.

Linda Schele and Eric Thompson have done extensive research on the subject. You can always google both those names and find some interesting literature. The website Levity.com is also very good as far as giving a broad opinion on the many different takes on the deciphering of the Calendar. Linda actually proposes that the Galactic center which the Mayans used to use as a sort of pivotal time compass was not a star system such as the northstar or the paledian star system but actually a dark void of space in the Milky way which was drawn on glyphs by the Mayans on there astrological charts as a river to the underworld where their deities paddled a canoe until reaching the center of the milky way. The date that appears on the glyph when they reach the center and conicide with the sun passing into the Galactic center at the same time is 2012. So The date of their deities reaching the sun is 2012 on the glyphs,and astronomers have used computers to predict that that will be the suns position at that time during the winter solstice on Dec 21st ,2012.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The X-Files series finale was all about the 2012 invasion. Hopefully the movie sequel(s) will explain what they were getting at.

whipple

Moedred said:
The X-Files series finale was all about the 2012 invasion. Hopefully the movie sequel(s) will explain what they were getting at.

I eagerly await that film. 2012 has always been a fascinating subject to me. Good reading in this thread.

DarkArtist81

I've always been interested in this subject... In fact my wife and I were just talking about it yesterday. I love this thread, keep it up... It's a fantastic read.

Blackster

I'm very curious about this too, I must admit - admittedly mainly because of it's inclusion in X-Files mythology, but it got me doing a little research into it's real-life veracity.

Certainly seems to be a lot of sources out there that correlate to 2012, and specifically that Christmas week. Certainly more than perhaps any other date besides NYE 1999. I'm really anticipating it... with a touch anxiety, I must admit. :D

Because you never know...

Gear

Well, like anything you have to look at it from multiple angels.
1. people have and always will be predicting the "end of the world". People thought it was going to end in the '60's or '70's and remember Y2K? Silvia Brown, who I mentioned earlier, predicts the end of humanity in about 95 years. I have much respect for her however she is human- she makes mistakes. She could missinterperate something and get the wrong message or let her religius beliefs cloud her readings (like I believe she has on ocasion) not that she's a bad person but... she's human.
Bottom line- people always have been and always will predict the end of the world.

2. There are things and powers in this universe that we cannot see, hear, feel, touch, tast or explain and your a fool if you dont believe that. It is within the realms of posibility that the ancients knew things we dont. As my mother says:"There is no such thing as coincidence. If you think there is it just means you havent found the answer".

3. My own belief: I think that humanity is running out of time, I think that the s--- is gonna hit the fan in the up coming decades and I think it could be for a number of reasons (yes I know I said this already but...): Global warming, nuclear tensions, crazy people, alien invasion, government curruption, N.E.O's or other space matter, idiotic scientists, ect... As George Harrison wrote: "all things must pass". Humanity cant live forever- just not possible. We should just make the most of the time we have left.

Jooones!

well I can only say: why did the Mayans predict the end of the world yet couldnt see the extinction of their own civilisation and the coming of Cortez etc...?

one has to be skeptical about such predictions Id say...yet I have to agree with gear guardian: there are things and powers in the universe that the common man doesnt see..I myself am for example a high level entity responsible for a good part of this creation and can guarantee you. I will bring you, all the Indy fans, through- cause you aspire to romanticism, mystery, heroism and the "journey" per se and that says something. ;) so dont worry my friends since you are under my protection it'll all check out fine...(I wonder who actuallly would believe me here..)

haha, no, but its true: humanity is on the verge with the climate etc...I wouldnt say that we are about to extinct ourselves- cause the human race is tougher than one may think- see Czernobyl and the vicinity of Nagasaki/Hiroshima etc where ppl survived with terrible diseases, yet survived still...but maybe we should take care a bit...;)

No Ticket

All I gotta say is, it's not necessarily going to be humanity's fault for the end of the world. Global warming, nuclear tension, etc. A big rock could hit the earth and tear us apart. The sun could explode for some crazy unknown reason.

The sad truth is, regardless of how much time we as a human race have left... each individual person has 100 years max, most likely, on this earth and I just wasted another 30 seconds of it writing this post.

Our lives are ticking away and so is the time the entire human race has. We can save our environment all day long and all these others things but it won't stop the inevitable. I'm not saying we SHOULDN'T do those things. I'm saying that it's going to happen as nothing lasts forever.

Even though it feels like it might. I think, even worse than global warming, the worse way it could all end is nuclear war. I'm thankful that despite so many weapons like that being manufactured that nobody has used any on people since World War II. I'm glad that people have at least enough sense to not start something like that.

I just wish they had enough sense to have never made them to begin with.