The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

nitzsche

I had heard that the reason for dropping the "Old Indy" bookends was because the originals were tied to ABC and they had to make considerable changes with the editing, added scenes, cut scenes and format, along with title changes.

Adamwankenobi

nitzsche said:
I had heard that the reason for dropping the "Old Indy" bookends was because the originals were tied to ABC and they had to make considerable changes with the editing, added scenes, cut scenes and format, along with title changes.

I wouldn't think that ABC would have that much control over the show. Lucas said at the 2007 PALEY festival that, when he shot all the bridging material, he tried to get Paramount to fund the shooting, but they wouldn't so he payed for it out of his own pocket. He also said that, because of their reluctance with the DVD format, he offered to buy the series rights from Paramount.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
What? Paramount owns the series rights? Holy crap, I didn't know that. Maybe it's them we should blame for the cutting of Old Indy....:p

The_Raiders

In that pic, I was wondering, waht happened to Indys eye? I've enver seen the seireis, and if I watch it on youtube it'll take like and hour to load the whole thing.

metalinvader

The_Raiders said:
In that pic, I was wondering, waht happened to Indys eye? I've enver seen the seireis, and if I watch it on youtube it'll take like and hour to load the whole thing.

It was never explained.Perhaps on his last adventure?Who knows...
You really should go on youtube and watch 'Curse of the Jackal' ..Well worth the time it would take you to download..Are you on dialup?

Stoo

Adamwankenobi said:
What did Indy say his blood type is? It's hard to make out.
He's a type "O".
The_Raiders said:
waht happened to Indys eye?
metalinvader, is right. It was never explained but if you look closely there is a huge,
sabre cut in his face. I would point you to a thread called "How did Indy lose his eye?"
but it's full of wild speculations while a sabre cut is the most obvious answer.
Other than that, no one really knows!

And, yes, "Curse of the Jackal" is worth watching. Start downloading and then
go eat, watch TV, read, etc. and then it'll be ready for you!:)

Flannery10

Do you guys think, we should open up a thread just about the bookend content and how they supported each episode, instead of always arguing if they should or shouldn't have been removed. I have some ideas to make a starting post, so reply if you think we should make an extra thread or talk about it in this thread.

Adamwankenobi

Flannery10 said:
Do you guys think, we should open up a thread just about the bookend content and how they supported each episode, instead of always arguing if they should or shouldn't have been removed. I have some ideas to make a starting post, so reply if you think we should make an extra thread or talk about it in this thread.

Yes! That would be cool. :)

Adamwankenobi

WillKill4Food said:
I think that the loss of Indy's eye should occur in Indy 4. Anyone else?

It would work well in making the audience fear for Indy, and further show how he can get hurt. So yes, I would love to see that in the film, but doubt we will. :(

(I caught myself double posting this time, but it was too late. :eek: )

WillKill4Food

Adamwankenobi said:
It would work well in making the audience fear for Indy, and further show how he can get hurt. So yes, I would love to see that in the film, but doubt we will. :(
Yeah, I know.
From trailer censorship, it looks like there will be no (or little) gore in Indy Fore.

Adamwankenobi

More irony, this time from Rick McCallum:

"Over the years, the fan support for Young Indiana Jones has swelled, and I'm asked about it everywhere I go. So, I'm really happy that people who grew up with it can at last have it for themselves, and that a new generation will be able to discover the brilliant acting, directing, writing and storytelling that has always been the hallmark of an extraordinary venture."

Source: http://www.starwars.com/community/news/films/f20070827/index.html

Flannery10

Maybe Lucas and McCallum really have the illusion that no one of the Young Indy fans cared about the Old Indy bookends. Someone should seriously tell them.

davros72

I have to confess, I probably wouldn't be as upset about the non-inclusion of the Old Indy sequences (at least in some form) were it not for the fact that George Hall was in one of my favorite little "hidden gems" of a show, "Remember WENN" which was made a few years after Young Indy. He played a funny, sweet old man who worked at a Pittsburgh radio station in the late 30s/early 40s. He did such a wonderful job in that show. Because of that, I have a stronger loyalty to George Hall than I might otherwise have.

But even without that, I'd still be upset that the DVDs are not "complete" without the Old Indy bookends, even if they were relegated to a deleted scenes section, or even easter eggs.

Anyway, still gonna complete my collection with Vol. 3 in April. Then the wife and I are gonna settle down and start Young Indy as our latest DVD-watching "marathon" (currently we're enjoying "Freaks and Geeks").

davros72

Adamwankenobi said:
You have very good taste in TV. :hat:
Thank you, sir!

It's amazing how many of the actors and actresses on this show have since gone on to become famous (or at least more well-known) in other stuff, even people in smaller roles.

...Including KOTCS's very own Shia!

Indy Smith

I found these bookens by Youtubing George hall. So then I find this thread. I got goosebumps on the last one where he's talking about Gathering pebbles. I remember that speech a lot and the Albert Schwiezer episode was one of my favourite episodes and not because it was filled with action, but i think because of the moral and sentimental value.

I'll admit I found the first Bookend on the Curse of the jackal a little patronising, but I think as I watched on I think the tone changed slightly.

Stoo

Hey, Indy Smith, glad to hear you're digging them the 2nd time around.
Stay tuned for Part 4 as this installment is undoubtedly the best...

davros72 said:
It's amazing how many of the actors and actresses on this show have since gone on to become famous (or at least more well-known) in other stuff, even people in smaller roles.

...Including KOTCS's very own Shia!
Mmmm...Shia in "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles"? Don't think so...

Flannery10

How many bookends are you gonna include in Part 4, Stoo? Already looking forward to them.
As for Shia, I think he meant Freaks and Geeks and not Young Indy.

I too cannot wait for part 4, how many parts will we get in total? Thanks again, its good to see these things, brings back alot of half remembered memories..:hat: