Article Re: Indy an abusive creep?

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
Anyway, here's another article that at predation-as-romance in movies entirely through the work of Harrison Ford. Yes, Indy's mentioned.
People like "Jonathan" of BlahBlahBlah.com and their ilk can go f*ck themselves. (n)

deepermagic

Joosse said:
The thing that is troubling me is that people are writing articles like these. I keep wondering what their agenda is in this?

I think their agenda is close to what I mentioned earlier: to establish a new normal where guys like Indiana Jones are ultimately viewed as harmful and dangerous.

Joosse

deepermagic said:
I think their agenda is close to what I mentioned earlier: to establish a new normal where guys like Indiana Jones are ultimately viewed as harmful and dangerous.

The huge problem in this article is the generalization of Ford's roles.

Yes, Deckard is harmful and dangerous.

Solo is someone who presents himself as dangerous, but deep down has a heart of gold.

And Indy?

Well, he's a teacher.

Seeing that Indiana Jones was a teacher, and cool, made me want to become a teacher.

Can't have that, now can we. Harmful and dangerous. Young people might actually start to think... ;)

No indeed, let's stick to the values that Disney teaches us.

Frozen indeed. Don't get me wrong, I love the movie, but apart from telling us that society is naturally divided between a ruling elite and a working class (pretty accurate) it shows us that what you really need to succeed in life is magic. Not hard work.

But my personal favorite has to be the little mermaid. Again Iove the movie. But what does it teach kids?

"That it is okay to breach a contract, and if someone disagrees with that then you should just have them killed."

Last edited:

Indyologist

Joosse said:
"That it is okay to breach a contract, and if someone disagrees with that then you should just have them killed."

Interesting-- who said this? Forgive my ignorance. Also, I love The Little Mermaid too. I have been loving and collecting all kinds of mermaid stuff since I was a kid!

Joosse

Indyologist said:
Interesting-- who said this? Forgive my ignorance. Also, I love The Little Mermaid too. I have been loving and collecting all kinds of mermaid stuff since I was a kid!

Obviously I am joking here, in the same way that I find the allegations against Ford's characters ridiculous.

But to borrow a quote from the backseat driver :" Like it or not, Ariel signed a contract. She was explicitly informed of its terms, and even if they were ridiculous and stacked against her, she still decided to gamble. Ariel made a poor decision, and legally, she had to pay the piper on this one."

But rather than accept the consequences, she has her lover kill Ursula.

Really a dark, dark message there if you want to see it.

My main point being that if you explicitly want to see bad things in any story you can always find them by explaining things differently.

I am quite sure that this is not the true message here. But in the same way that the author of the article is desperately trying to explain Indy's actions as misogynistic, I hope that by giving this example I am showing that everything can be manipulated to seem to mean what you want it to, if you try hard enough.