• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

Major West

Still tumble drying it. Which I'm doing in 20 minute bursts and checking. I reckon another hour or two.

After the initial 15 minute washing machine spin, I thought it might be ruined, It looked instantly shrunk by noticeable margin. Then spent ten minutes outside ringing it out a bit, it started to look less shrunk.The jacket was so drowned it weighed about four times it's dry weight. The scrunching would have created a really cool looking texture but it didn't stay long. The stitching and lining have completely held up so far. Not sure what the result will be, if the sleeves have shrunk by an inch I'll be happy as they were too long. Likewise the back length.

I've got my perfect ToD now in the shrunken lamb, so even if I had the sleeves taken up on this one I'd have to wear it a hell of a lot to weather it in, and that wasn't going to happen so I thought I'd experiment and take the risk of ruining the jacket, we'll see what happens.

Oh yes I read that comparison on the wested blog. Interesting. I knew most of the differences but it was still good to read. I think my next jacket will be a custom Raiders, or hero Raiders. Undecided. If it don't go for the hero I'm wondering what sort of custom mods I could request on the standard fit?

Major West

OK. I think I can delcare the washing machine treatment a success. I've worn the ToD jacket and I'm more than pleased. The leather is not completely dry. The lining is dry and perfectly fine as is the stitching on the jacket. There's been just the right amount of shrinking (about an inch). Sleeves are good, back length is shorter. The collar hang is awesome now, looks like the movies instead of new jumbo jet wings. I think this might be my favourite jacket again. :hat:

The treatment was 15 minute standard spin wash (just water). Wring out the water by hand as much you can. Tumble dry low /medium, 20 minute intervals and inspect the jacket. Then I lost patience and did the last bit on high.

Click for bigger:

PS. This is Wested Authentic Brown Lambskin (their current version)

Last edited:

Drones33

Looks great. To be honest I'm a bit surprised by just how well it's turned out. Says a lot about how very good Wested's gear is(y)

Major West

Think I'll save that jacket for if I ever Cosplay. It's a very snug fit now, as the ToD was already a very tailored fit. A standard buttoned shirt underneath is pretty much all that will fit. (y) I measured the back length. it's shorter by an inch, as are the sleeves. It looks the part, of course the leather is a bit dryer than it was. I would say, stick to the shower treatment unless you want to really shrink the jacket as I have. However, soaking the collar really made an improvement to the drape of the collar. Another thing to note away. That could be done independently of the rest of the jacket if you wanted to fix the collar drape.

Drones33

The shrinkage issue could come in handy. I've seen quite a few Indy jackets on eBay that I've not gone for because they're a couple of sizes too big, but if washing machine shrinkage is a possibility...(y)
In other news, I was looking at the Bill Kelso site earlier today, ( still toying with the idea of getting one,) and I see that they're now producing a third option for the Relic Hunter. Along with the 'South America' and the 'Cairo' they now offer the 'Bantu Wind' version, which they describe as based on the prototype jacket used in the Bantu Wind photo shoot at La Rochelle, featuring a lower yoke, and different action pleat and strap design...or words to that effect.

Major West

I saw that option the other day, yes. The Bantu Wind jacket. I was mulling over which jacket of the Kelsos I would get, if I ever did, which could happen one day. I was thinking the Cario jacket as I like the look of it at the Iman's house scene. However which jacket is the Wested hero? Which scenes does it appear in? If it was the same as the Cario jacket then I might consider the South America 1936 jacket.

Major West

Decided to sell the ToD jacket I tested in the washing machine. Put the money toward a new one. Ordered it with same measurements as the Shrunken Lamb jacket, but with Wested Authentic Lamb. For a custom jacket they had it to me in four days. :whip: Turned out really nice, only worn it a few days and the tailored fit of the jacket seems to be creating the desired effect, look at the arm.

Tod_Jack_Final.jpg

Doom1.jpg

Drones33

Looks great. It's a bit obsessive of me I know, but I love the arm-crinkle effect on a leather jacket, it's where the character and individuality shows most; 2 identical Indy jackets will have completely different creases and be unique to the individual wearers. Great.
And a four day turn-around, that's impressive.

Dr.Sartorius

Major West said:
Decided to sell the ToD jacket I tested in the washing machine. Put the money toward a new one. Ordered it with same measurements as the Shrunken Lamb jacket, but with Wested Authentic Lamb. For a custom jacket they had it to me in four days. :whip: Turned out really nice, only worn it a few days and the tailored fit of the jacket seems to be creating the desired effect, look at the arm.

Tod_Jack_Final.jpg

Doom1.jpg

Now I know what my next jacket will be. (y)

Major West

Drones33 said:
Check this out. Todds haven't been selling Indy jackets for quite a while, although their eBay store has been selling faulty ones with the left pocket a half inch lower than the right, but now they have these. Not too sure about the cut, but the leather looks really nice...
http://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/indiana-jones-collection/indiana-jones-jacket/

The leather looks like striated lamb, which is good. It has the pointy pockets though, I'm not sure if that's screen accurate.

£138 seems like a good price but presumably they'll be customs on top of that for UK people.

Last edited:

Drones33

Agreed. The leather does look nice, and Todds website states that it's striated New Zealand lambskin, but I find that hard to believe. Either way though the cut is pretty bad.
Stick with Wested, that's what I say:hat:

Tinplatejeff

This is my Indy jacket I bought new approximately 25 years ago.

If memory serves me correctly, I purchased it a the Boeing Museum of Flight gift shop in Seattle. It is marked made in Pakistan.

I wore it daily while in college. Just recently dug it out of the back of the closet. The lining is a bit worn and the zipper slide has disintegrated. I plan to get it repaired.

It fits me great still. Feels like an old friend.

Are people familiar with this model? Thoughts on how screen accurate it is?

:)

Major West

That's got some good wear and age on it, but the collar is not that accurate and the look of the collar is an important feature in my opinion. If you can get the jacket repaired cheaply I'd do so though. Overall looks good for something 25 years old. If you're thinking of wearing an Indy jacket again I'd maybe invest in something more screen accurate, plenty of options these days.

Major West

It's size 42". Back length 25". Sleeves 24"

Special requests were: Hero pockets. Silver Zip

Gussets. Buckles and x-box stitch

I spent a while mulling over having facings or no facings for the zip. Decided to keep them in the end, as I was intending this to be an everyday wear practical jacket. Facings reinforce the inside a bit. If I want the wavering zip effect I'll just wear my ToD jacket.

First time I've had a jacket with the underarm gussets but I recommend them.

Last edited: