The Gospel of Judas Iscariot

Doc Savage

Sorry, Finn, I was engrossed in the debate and failed to read your link.

I can strongly espouse my beliefs because I've tried everything (more or less) else. I was raised Christian, albeit "religious Christianity", and rebelled. Call it a pilgrimage.

I won't belittle anyone else's beliefs...they are entitled to them. But I don't stand idly by and watch mine get ripped up, either.

"You can no more prove it than I can."

The historical documentation of how and why for instance Constantine and his flunkies picked, chose and were bribed to include some books in the Bible and to drop others is proof enough for me.... Proof enough at least for me to question the validity of the whole thing.... I see no evidence of anything 'divine' guiding their choices, and I see evidence of more mundane influences (bribery, a desire to control just to name two)

I guess, if it was to be put in legal terms, what I have is "Reasonable Doubt" which is all that is required to set any accused free...

Doc Savage

And we see how well it worked. The only ones who misused the system were the ones who were "in the know." The "church" considered it a crime for anyone to read their Bibles, or to own one, for that matter. So it couldn't very well be used to control the masses, could it?

Finn

Staff member
Doc Savage said:
I can strongly espouse my beliefs because I've tried everything (more or less) else. I was raised Christian, albeit "religious Christianity", and rebelled. Call it a pilgrimage.
That's actually fair enough. The biggest peeve I have with organized religion is that they don't really offer people a chance to truly find themselves. They start converting us so young that we don't yet have a true sense of what this world around us may be or be not. In my opinion we should offer our descendants a fair chance to look into this stuff themselves should they find it interesting, instead of telling them these things as facts at the moment they just seem old enough to understand at least something about them.

You Doc seem to have been out there on the neutral ground just like I have, and have truly made your decision of faith by yourself, and I respect that. Despite we have found ourselves standing in different camps concerning this subject, we're more alike than one could prematurely assume.

Doc Savage

Amen to that! ;)

Truth to tell, most Christians these days don't know what they believe. I had a discussion with an atheist once. He was actually impressed when I quoted Scripture. He said it was the first time he'd had a Christian take him to the Bible to answer a Bible-based question.

fortuneandglory

This thread was supposed to be about the Gospel of Judas Iscariot. The Noah's Ark find thread was supposed to be about that. The pre history and god thread was supposed to be about just that. Other threads, all de-railed into the Etherium... into debates about faith or the existence or non existence of god, or the validity of the scriptures. I simply love where CH takes all these posts...

Last edited:

Doc Savage

fortuneandglory said:
Other threads, all de-railed into the Etherium... into debates about faith or the existence or non existence of god, or the validity of the scriptures. I simply love where CH takes all these posts...
I don't blame CH, if blame is even the word to use. Such is the nature of the beast...when we make statements of faith and interpret the evidence as such, those who have a different view, and a strongly held one, will be compelled to voice it.

I like to believe that maybe, like William Ramsay, exposure to fact AND truth will prod my colleagues to reconsider their view. Beating me over the head with ideologies did nothing but make me run from Christianity...I would expect no other reaction from those in similar positions. Remember, F&G, that Paul reasoned with thos ein the synagogues and on Areopagus and saw fruit from his labor.