Indy has a daughter?

Crack that whip

OldIndy2323 said:
Here's what I have come up with on this topic using a bit of research and some speculation:

1958: Susan Jones is born to Indy and Marion (Using the actress's age in "Ireland 1916" and named "Susan" after Indy's sister who died as an infant --"Peking 1910". Although highly unusual, it's not impossible that the child was Indy's and Marion's, based on their ages)

1958: Caroline Jones is born to Mutt after a whirlwind romance (age of actress in "Peking 1910", Caroline says, "..how's it look Grandpa..")

1977: Susan Jones marries and gives birth to Mark/"Spike" (named "Mark" after the actor who portrayed him and using the only possible age for Susan Jones to have a 16 year old son in 1993--"Mystery of the Blues" UK version)

1982: Susan Jones gives birth to Lucy (age of character in "Ireland 1916", based on the idea of an elementary school grandparent's tea and a logical age spread between siblings.)

1986: Caroline Jones gives birth to Annie Jones, Indy's first great grandchild (age of actress in "Peking 1910" and Old Indy's narration, "...my father, your great great grandfather...")

1988: Caroline Jones gives birth to Harry Jones, Indy's second great grandchild (age of actor in "Peking 1910", same quote as above plus, "..your mother's right...")

How'd I do?

Well, we don't know yet Mutt is related to Indy (at least, I don't, and if you know better I'd appreciate your keeping it under your hat for another week and a half or so)...

Stoo

Old Indy2323 said:
1958: Susan Jones is born to Indy and Marion (Using the actress's age in "Ireland 1916" and named "Susan" after Indy's sister who died as an infant --"Peking 1910".
Not to mention, the name of the actress, Susan Bigelow. Perfect! I like it.
So, would her name be Susan Daphne Jones or Daphne Susan Jones?;)
1958: Caroline Jones is born to Mutt after a whirlwind romance (age of actress in "Peking 1910", Caroline says, "..how's it look Grandpa..")
Holy crap! I never heard this before (since I barely ever watch this episode.)
You're right! Re: the turkey, "How does it look, Gran'pa?" It comes near the
beginning with a lot of background banter. Good ear/eye, Old Indy 2323!(y)
1982: Susan Jones gives birth to Lucy (age of character in "Ireland 1916", based on the idea of an elementary school grandparent's tea and a logical age spread between siblings.)
Yeah, anywhere between 1981-1987 would fit.
Old Indy's narration, "...my father, your great great grandfather...")
Can't believe I didn't remember this but since I never watch the episode (it puts me to sleep) it's no wonder!
How'd I do?
Pretty damned good, I would say!(y) As for Mutt's lineage? We'll find out in 10 days! Woo-hoo!
Stoo said:
Actually there are no clues at all as to how Indy is related to any of them.
We assume it is his family and his house but no one calls him "dad" or "grandpa".
The only thing said relationship-wise is Indy to Harry, "Your mother is right".
I stand corrected. Tip o' the hat to you, Old Indy 2323, and my apologies to Junior Jones!:hat: :eek:

Here's the twister, though...Caroline (a grandaughter) looks about 5-10 years older than Susan Daphne (a daughter)!

Flannery10

Stoo said:
Can't believe I didn't remember this but since I never watch the episode (it puts me to sleep) it's no wonder!

Peking puts you to sleep? That's weird. I think it's a pretty exciting episode and Ruth de Sosa gives of her best performance of the series (ok, tied with Florence).

tupogirl

TalonCard said:
So Indy possibly has a daughter and grandaughter around the same age? I know it happens, but how weird would that be? ;)

TC

Well knowing how the Jones' men roll, lol...Indy could have a daughter and a sister (or son and brother, etc) from the same woman!

tupogirl

LOL!!! It ends up being twin baby spawns of Satan. Oh wait, I think that was a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode!

That would be an entertaining fanfic to write, Buffy and Indy. Stuck on the Lost island.

OldIndy2323

Hey thanks Stoo!
As for Indy's daughter's name, I'd still go with "Susan", after Indy's lost sister, but "Daphne" works great for the middle name. The "official" confusion could be explained by saying that since Susan Jones was in high school in the mid-Seventies, her middle name stuck because of her reddish hair and the prevalence of "Scooby Doo".

And as for Caroline looking older than Susan, Caroline's life was probably a lot rougher than Susan's; less stability and more adventure with her young, adventurous, rebellious father.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Since this thread began in 2002, a daughter in Indy 4 was pure speculation, until Lucas stated in last year's Complete Making Of book: "Once we put Marion in the movie and knew they were going to be reunited, we first thought there should be a daughter Indy didn't know about. She was going to be 13, a little spitfire."

Stoo

AnnieJones said:
Unfortunately, that's a rather low-grade recording. Hang on for Chapter 9 of The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles!;)
AnnieJones said:
And found here,Old Indy's daughter - Indiana Jones Wiki: http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Indy's_daughter
FYI, Annie, much of the information was quickly sourced from this very thread (as in: Who played her, 1st appearance, mother relation to Spike & Lucy, etc.) and originally posted here by yours truly last year on Pages 6-7.:p

P.S. For anyone looking back on this, please do not confuse Adamwankenobi's posts with mine. (He used the same avatar.)

Moedred said:
Since this thread began in 2002, a daughter in Indy 4 was pure speculation, until Lucas stated in last year's Complete Making Of book: "Once we put Marion in the movie and knew they were going to be reunited, we first thought there should be a daughter Indy didn't know about. She was going to be 13, a little spitfire."
If there had been a daughter in Indy 4 then the main villain would've been, mostly likely, a man (and not what's-her-face...Spalko).

Last edited:

Stoo

lao che & sons said:
She looks like she could've been born in 1966 maybe. Now if this is Marions or not is a completely different topic.:D
Remember that this is from 1993. "Susan/Daphne" looks older than 27 and the question about who her mother could be is completely on-topic!;)

Indys_girl

I wonder if anyone has given thought to the fact that "Old Indy's daughter" could possibly be his daughter-in-law? I.E Mutt's wife?

If you calculate Spike's approximate age he's about sixteen-seventeen, right? This would mean he was born about 1974, when Mutt is about thirty-six. It's not inconceivable, either, that Mutt had a daughter in the mid-sixties. (i.e the mother of Annie and Harry,) And then having two more children later with his wife.

Or even marrying twice.

I think it makes a lot more sense then Marion having a child at close to fifty, not that it's impossible, but unless this daughter is adopted, I think it makes more sense. ;)

Last edited:

InexorableTash

Indys_girl said:
I wonder if anyone has given thought to the fact that "Old Indy's daughter" could possibly be his daughter-in-law? I.E Mutt's wife?

I'm sure that's been suggested before (perhaps by me). My parents treat my wife as much as a daughter as if she were flesh and blood.

Does make you wonder what became of Mutt, though.

Stoo

Indys_girl said:
I wonder if anyone has given thought to the fact that "Old Indy's daughter" could possibly be his daughter-in-law? I.E Mutt's wife?;
Hi, Indys_girl. Like Tash said, it has been brought up before in other daughter/family threads and the scenario is entirely plausible except for one small detail. The credits say "Old Indy's Daughter" and not daughter-in-law (but that's obviously because the show was made long before Indy 4). We don't have a last name for her or Spike.

If she were to be Mutt's wife then he married someone much younger than himself. Have to admit, Spike's name is perfect for the son of Mutt!
Indys_girl said:
It's not inconceivable, either, that Mutt had a daughter in the mid-sixties. (i.e the mother of Annie and Harry,)
Everything you've suggested works apart from this scenario above. Yes, she calls Indy 'grandpa' but Harry, Annie & their mother, Caroline, all have the Jones name which suggests that Caroline married into the family and wasn't born a Jones. (Hence, not a daughter but the wife of Mutt's son.)

All your other ideas are feasible, though!:)
Inexorable Tash said:
Does make you wonder what became of Mutt, though.
Indeed, there is no hint/clue of a father for Spike in the bookends. Either he's always away on business or has passed away. (Though there is a contender for Mutt at the Thanksgiving dinner!;))