Time Travel/Ancient astronaut

time-raider

I've had an idea about the ancient astronaut theory that involves UFOs and time travelers from the future. *What I think is that the easiest way for archaeologists to travel to the past and not disturb the timeline would be within a vehicle that has been reported for centuries. Of course this is only possible if it is correct and accurate. My question to the group is "Is there any evidence to either prove this or disprove this?" If so what does this mean about not only our past but our future as well?*

time-raider

Yes I know of what you speak, for it twas I who started it. But it is not ancient aliens I want to speak about. I wish to speak about time traveling humans from the future and their impact on our past (similar to the plot of the hit tv show "the 4400".

Dig Site 1138

time-raider said:
I've had an idea about the ancient astronaut theory that involves UFOs and time travelers from the future. *What I think is that the easiest way for archaeologists to travel to the past and not disturb the timeline would be within a vehicle that has been reported for centuries. Of course this is only possible if it is correct and accurate. My question to the group is "Is there any evidence to either prove this or disprove this?" If so what does this mean about not only our past but our future as well?*

This vehicle of which you speak... Is it blue and looks suspiciously (or perhaps unobtrusively) like an old London Police Call Box? Or is it perhaps something a little more 1980's, say, a stainless steel sports car?

;)

Dig Site 1138 said:
This vehicle of which you speak... Is it blue and looks suspiciously (or perhaps unobtrusively) like an old London Police Call Box? Or is it perhaps something a little more 1980's, say, a stainless steel sports car?

;)
...or a hybrid of the two?

Primer

Dig Site 1138 said:
Like maybe a phone booth with an umbrella frame on top? ;)
Well...

PRIMER-poster.jpg

Goodeknight

Dig Site 1138 said:
Maybe one of these:

54yauf.jpg

Actual minutes may vary. Some assembly required. Rod Taylor action figure sold separately.

WOW!! Where is the Wells Time Machine from? Custom? Looks wonderful. LOVE it!

Goodeknight

time-raider said:
*What I think is that the easiest way for archaeologists to travel to the past and not disturb the timeline would be within a vehicle that has been reported for centuries.*

Well, as proven by every time travel episode of Star Trek and numerous other shows and movies, it's not the vehicle that upsets the timeline, it's the travelers interaction with people in the past.

The only way to not upset the timeline, would be to be an invisible observer. Not very interesting for a plot, though.

time-raider

See but this is exactly what I mean. No matter what precautions we take to insure the purity of the original timeline we would pollute it, which would explain things like ooparts(out of place artifacts)

Indy's brother

time-raider said:
See but this is exactly what I mean. No matter what precautions we take to insure the purity of the original timeline we would pollute it, which would explain things like ooparts(out of place artifacts)

The problem with this is that the mere presence of a time traveler in the past alters the purity of the original timeline, artifacts or not. If out-of-place artifacts were caused by time travelers, then we only exist in an alternate timeline ourselves. I'll call Donnie Darko later today to see if he can straighten it out for us. He owes me a favor.

Dr Bones

Slightly OT but it just occurred to me that why do some people seem to need to believe in something paranormal to explain our history/evolution?

If it's not God or religious, then it's aliens, time travellers or transdimensional CGI puppets.

:confused:

Not a pop at anyone, just general observation of the world ;). Some can be dismissive of the
creationist view but happily accept aliens or time travel....just amuses me how we often scoff at one unprovable idea yet blindly accept aonther. (I am as guilty as any)

Then there's a whole other debate of what constitues proof or if we even need proof! :D

Last edited:

Indy's brother

Gear said:
What if the explorer didn't physically travel time at all?

Astral projection.

Interesting approach. The astral plane may not experience linear time in the same way we do here on the physical plane. I'm thinking that the astral plane (being a spiritual existence, not physical) might very well be a realm where all of time is happening in a singular instant, and would therefore not suffer the same paradoxes inherent in time travel that would most certainly occur here. Of course, being a separate plane of existence altogether, it would do nothing to solve the riddle of out of place artifacts, since there is no need for spark plugs (for example) on the astral plane.

Indy's brother

Dr Bones said:
Slightly OT but it just occurred to me that why do some people seem to need to believe in something paranaormal to explain history/evolution?

If it's not God or religious, then it's aliens, time travellers or transdimensional CGI puppets.

:confused:

In an ever shrinking world with ever-shrinking privacy, I think it's rather healthy to believe in something mysterious and not 100% explained away by either science, religion, or aliens. As long as that belief isn't used to say, start a war, or squash someone's right to think or believe what and how they choose to. Most everyone in the world thinks that their own personal view is the right one, yet most people who believe in one singular thing, like the existence of god, or jesus, or even less broad one particular branch of one particular faith bicker amongst themselves about which parts are important, or how they are to be interpreted. Science is also evolving, and may come close, but will never fully unlock the secrets of the universe. There's simply too much out there for us to master our knowledge over. Things like aliens and time-travel are not imposible, and are wildly more entertaining to consider than the stuffy preaching of a religious leader, or sterile facts and figures from a man in a lab coat. For me, the unknown and bizarre keep alive a small sense of wonder that the cynical age we live in is too eager to crush. After all, isn't it possible that is why so many of us are fans of a cynical archaeologist, from a simpler time, who happens upon supernatural objects/events, that cause him to question what it is that he truly believes?

Last edited: