The Lone Ranger

TheMutt92

TheMutt92 said:

Who knows? Maybe the werewolves or Indian spirits or whatever it is could've worked out. I mean if you said a movie adaptation of the POTC ride from Disneyland was gonna involve skeleton and fish pirates ten years ago, I'm sure there would've been some confusion and upset. And look at how that turned out. Or it could've gone the KOTCS route and just generally been criticized (personally, I never minded the aliens, but I think we have enough threads about that).

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I read the March 29, 2009 script - solid, great dialogue, bookended by train sequences. I'm convinced the latter is meant to bring to mind the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at 4 Disney parks, though not in name, complete with underground downward spiral. The attraction, as you may know, is a haunted mine built on an Indian site. So while the CGI heavy coyote/wolf ghost town sequence may be dropped (the wendigo wanders and possesses packs of animals at night), the supernatural element is inseparable. If all goes well there could be a whole new batch of animatronic Johnny Depps at Disney parks next Christmas!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny Depp visits the raven, or vice versa? :)

the-lone-ranger-and-tonto.jpg

Dr. Gonzo

Moedred said:
Johnny Depp visits the raven, or vice versa? :)

the-lone-ranger-and-tonto.jpg

Code:
INT. COSTUME DEPARTMENT - DISNEY STUDIOS - BURBANK - DAY

JOHNNY DEPP approaches the head COSTUME DESIGNER, a slight
               air of curiosity on his face.

JOHNNY DEPP
                         So what's the revamped Tonto gonna
                         look like?

COSTUME DESIGNER
                             (very enthused)
                         Like if captain Jack Sparrow became
                         an injun!

JOHNNY DEPP
                             (dead pan)
                         Oh.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
^Dude, that just made my Friday night.

TheMutt92 said:
First he was the Green Hornet's father, now he is playing a part in the Lone Ranger's history...

http://www.slashfilm.com/tom-wilkinson-the-lone-ranger/

Probably because George W. Trendle is the creator of both Green Hornet and Lone Ranger and in the Green Hornet radio plays back in the 30s, it was revealed that the Lone Ranger was Britt Reid's great uncle.

Coincidence? Or cute in-movie reference for Trendle fans? Or maybe might make a reference if there ever is a GH2 (I wish!).

TheMutt92

I was pretty skeptical of Tonto's look (especially compared to traditional looking Lone Ranger), but its grown on me in the last couple of days.

Le Saboteur

Hi-yo Silver! Away!

Nobody took the time to post the first official trailer? Quelle suprise!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L9DDCKVrZfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The visuals are suitably "Western", but I'm slightly disappointed that Verbinski & Co. are using the railroad angle for their villain. Hopefully they step outside of convention and this is only part of the tale.

I do like the look of The Lone Ranger & Tonto. No complaints there. And while I know the basics of the character -- Silver, silver bullets, the William Tell Overture, etc. -- this will be something of a first experience. Unlike Zorro I've never seen the teevee show, the radio show, or the movies.

Speaking of Zorro, the rather excellent (based on reviews) The Lone Ranger: The Death of Zorro was collected in trade paperback earlier this year.

DeathZorro02Cov.jpg

Finn

Staff member
It always escapes me how fiction even bothers to imply that the eye-covering Beagle Boys -style mask is somehow an adequate disguise.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
It always escapes me how fiction even bothers to imply that the eye-covering Beagle Boys -style mask is somehow an adequate disguise.

Something that was addressed in at least one recent-ish movie:

Green Lantern: Miss?

Carol Ferris: Hal? Oh, my G...! Oh, my God! Oh, my God! Hal!

Green Lantern: How did you know it was me?

Carol Ferris: What do you mean? I've known you my whole life! I've seen you naked! You don't think I would recognize you because I can't see your cheekbones? What is this? Why is your skin green? Why are you glowing? What the hell is with that mask?

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
The visuals are suitably "Western", but I'm slightly disappointed that Verbinski & Co. are using the railroad angle for their villain. Hopefully they step outside of convention and this is only part of the tale.
Looks like fun and I actually like the "railroad angle". Sure, it's a well-worn cliché but I love westerns with some steam-chuggin'-train-action.(y)
Montana Smith said:
Something that was addressed in at least one recent-ish movie:
And NOT addressed in another "recent-ish movie". The one with the clown.

It needed this:

Guy Dressed as a Bat (gravel-voiced): Grrr...*mumble* Hrrr *mumble mumble* Rrrrr *mumble* Grrr....

Girlfriend: Bruce, what the hell is wrong with you? What's with the dumb voice? You sound like an idiot!

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Looks like fun and I actually like the "railroad angle". Sure, it's a well-worn cliché but I love westerns with some steam-chuggin'-train-action.(y)!

A second, more evocative trailer for The Lone Ranger was released a few days back while I was oot and aboot. This one gets into the Ranger's origins and includes a snippet from the on again, off again runaway train sequence.

Thumbs up!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Liic7Ieh47E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joe Brody

featofstrength said:
almost had me...then i saw Helena Bonham Carter...

I laughed in agreement when I read this -- but you've gotta respect her in Fight Club.

. . . .and speaking of origins, it looks like Tonto is the ghost. Not the other way around.

the funny thing is that for the Lone Ranger the mask is more of a symbol than an actual disguise. the truth is, even if people saw him without the mask they wouldn't know who he is particularly, in the old west where most towns were a day's ride from each other. plus unlike Zorro, who stayed in arelatively confined area, the lone Ranger was nomadic.

Outlaw One: well, Lone Ranger, we finally get to see you without your mask....(rips it off)......Outlaw Two: uuuhm, Ned?...Who is he? (they both look at the Ranger for several seconds.......)
Outlaw One: Clay,......(I have no idea.)