Matrix trilogy

Gilles V

Administrator Emeritus
The film looked exciting (but wasn't) with lots of cool action scenes but nothing "WOW".
The story is intriguing but you get the feeling that it's also forced. Not good.
The first Matrix had a much better story and the action scenes there had a real purpose.

The "Lord of the Rings" trilogy is much more exciting and better in every way. Lot's of "WOW" scenes in Fellowship and Two Towers. In my opinion!

Please forgive me for saying this. ;)

swords

Lord of the Rings? Hmmm, I just got a idea.

Concerning the Question

I was confused too, however, I believe he was knocked out because it was a new program, hence, even Bane(Smith) was put into a coma despite his power in the Matrix. Thats why, its supposed to be assumed the 'real world' is another program set up by the machines.(so technically, its not the Matrix, so Neo wasn't used to this 'real world'program, perhaps the side effects of using his 'power' causes comas).

Also agreed, this ending was very adrupt. I wasn't antipating this then all of a sudden, to be concluded! Wow, throw me a frickin bone(Dr.Evil), I want more.

I think I just became a Matrix junkie.:cool:

[Edited by swords on 05-27-2003 at 08:13 pm]

Pale Horse

Staff member
"Whoa! We stole our idea!" The "W" Bros.

Has anyone else noticed that the premise remarkably follow a darker more stylistic film called

Dark City?

intergamer

something screwed up here, it kept rejecting my post, so the post that this was supposed to be is now the next comment on this thread

[Edited by intergamer on 10-24-2003 at 07:17 pm]

intergamer

it won't let me post my whole thing

swords said:
Lord of the Rings? Hmmm, I just got a idea.

Concerning the Question

I was confused too, however, I believe he was knocked out because it was a new program, hence, even Bane(Smith) was put into a coma despite his power in the Matrix. Thats why, its supposed to be assumed the 'real world' is another program set up by the machines.(so technically, its not the Matrix, so Neo wasn't used to this 'real world'program, perhaps the side effects of using his 'power' causes comas).

Also agreed, this ending was very adrupt. I wasn't antipating this then all of a sudden, to be concluded! Wow, throw me a frickin bone(Dr.Evil), I want more.

I think I just became a Matrix junkie.:cool:

[Edited by swords on 05-27-2003 at 08:13 pm]

I've been saying this all along. See, Smith could not have gotten into Zion if it was a real world, since Smith is still a program. Indeed, the idea of anybody going through a phone line into the real world from a program seems a little suspect. So Zion really is a program too.
Also, remember when they got knocked out at the end? That was from one of those electromagnetic pulse things (smith set it off when everyone was supposed to wait). Hmm, everybody died from it, except for the machines (metallic things) that got knocked out or immobolized. AND except for Agent Smith in the body of the other guy, and Neo...hmm, see so they are both machines or programs or something.

Also, remember the architect? He showed all those pictures on the wall. I'm assuming that those are supposed to be previous Neos (from earlier matrices/matrixes). Well, if Neo in the matrix is modeled after a real human being (the one on Zion), and the one in Zion is not just another program too (since Zion is really a program), then why do they all look the same? You don't get two real world people that look identical.

Also, look at the Revolutions trailers - Neo and others are doing some pretty fancy stunts, as far as I can see, in Zion. Which doesn't make sense unless Zion is a program.

Now the idea thats explicitly stated is, Agent Smith and Neo exchanged some properties from each other. How is this possible? genetic crossover? I think not. They are both programs, exchanging code. And they retain these crossovers in Zion - so Zion should be a program. The fact that they exist at all in Zion shows that Zion is a program.

Now, the outermost matrix (the one we begin the first movie in) is definitely all code. So Neo was GIVEN his powers to be the one, by the architect and such. Assuming that we can trust what the architect is saying (and I think that the Wachowski brothers mean us to be able to trust him), everything Neo does in the outermost matrix is controlled. Well then, why would they let him free all these people? Someone must know that Zion is fake. Also, Agent Smith is in the "real world"/Zion. I say we can just ignore the program matrix, therefore, especially since all these people have already been "freed". So the question to me is, look at Zion. All this robot crawlers everywhere. If Zion is a program-type-deal too, then where do they come from?

Sorry for the loose stream of consciousness.

Maybe Neo wakes up in his bed (of the beginning of the original movie) and its all a dream. Or the whole thing is some kid playing a computer game of which the plot is movie 1 and 2, and at the end of the movie they get called to dinner, so we don't know what happens (unless we buy the Matrix:trilogy computer game and play through to the end). It'd be good merchandising.

OH, and the question of controlling the robot sentinel things. Of course, this kind of makes sense, if Zion is all a program (or some subroutine like another poster said), and fits with Neo being a program. But I say that he didn't sense them at all. He saw something different, maybe saw that the guy Agent Smith was posing as looked different, or that he himself was a little different since he had some Smith-ness in him if they exchanged. So he paused. <b>He only got knocked out because of the blast that Smith fired that he shouldn't have fired.</b>

Another thought. Take Smith. In Matrix 1 he wishes he were somewhere else, not on our "despicable planet". Hmm. But clearly Smith is a program. So already in the first movie, he knows he can go to the "real world" and so forth. Again, Smith is not a robot, not a human being, but a program (the Matrix people have said this explicitly). At what the members of Zion see as the "real world" still is not the "real world".

Pale Horse

Staff member
*bump

No one wanted to comment on the "Dark City" reference. Do we ever learn which world Neo is in?

Venture

Re:

apalehorse said:
Has anyone else noticed that the premise remarkably follow a darker more stylistic film called

Dark City?

That movie creeped me out. The Matrix just mildly entertained me.

Pale Horse

Staff member
In all fairness, my comment about Dark City in no way advocates the extrapolated commentary of the merits/or lack of merits on Matrix.

I am only suggesting that another more stylistic and intriguing film, made prior to, was snubbed in all the hoop-la.

Short Round

The Matrix Films

Rate the three films.

Matrix: 9/10
Matrix Reloaded: 7/10
Matrix Revolutions: 6/10

Overall, I thought the trilogy was OK. The first one is the only one I would consider to be really good.

oki9Sedo

Short Round said:
Rate the three films.

Matrix: 9/10
Matrix Reloaded: 7/10
Matrix Revolutions: 6/10

Overall, I thought the trilogy was OK. The first one is the only one I would consider to be really good.

The Matrix 8/10
The Matrix Reloaded 6/10
The Matrix Revolutions 5/10

Katarn07

The second one was awesome until you see part 3. If part 3 had been stronger, part 2 would still be good.

Matrix 10/10
Matrix Reloaded 7/10
Matrix Revolutions 4/10

The Matrix - 3

Never bothered with the others--the first one was awful enough. Ugh. Damn no-talent hack Wachowski Brothers. And that awful V for Vendetta! Ugh. :mad:

I had an English professor two semesters back who I had a great deal of respect for. But she had us write our final paper for the semester comparing The Count of Monte Cristo with the V for Vendetta film. Naturally mine ended up being quite the rant...

What a way to end the semester. Bah.

Eric Solo

I'm with katarn07.

The car chase in the second one was pretty awesome. The third one was like Superman 4. I just try to forget I saw it.

Niteshade007

I've honestly only seen part of the first one. I know, it's sad, because the first one at least seems to be quite revered.

Short Round

Yeah, the third was terrible compared to the first one. The only thing I liked about it was the final fight between Neo and Smith.