Custom1:6 Temple of DOOM /Short Round figures

HI, I've always liked TOD, it was my second favorite movie, so after finishing one custom TOD figure (which I will show soon) , I decided that it was time for him to have his little kung fu sidecick, short round, FInding a head was a challenge, since there was a terrific one done by Trevor, but it was a private commission and he did not make any molds (I asked him) so having one seems impossible . then I did some on line research and it turns out that a couple of years ago, Lonnie Hall from Hero Heads or front line figures, did one, I contacted "him" and he told me that he still had it, he sent me this picture as reference...
shortyc.jpg

By spv11 at 2012-04-24

Ok, its not the best but it's "as good as it gets" so I jumped on it, (payed $35 plus shipping) and when it arrived, I noticed that it's really tiny! And the neck is super small, even for my Hobbit figure! (image 1-2)

SO I will sculpt the neck, might as well since I'm all motivated for my poor lonely INdy... I also bought a Ken shirt with a similar pattern as the one he used in the movie, and some Ken shoes too. (fig 4-5)

Also , I used some female feet so that the shoes could fit... (fig 3)

Any ways stay tooned cause there is more to come! ;)

Montana Smith

An interesting project to keep an eye on.

I don't know if it's any help, and you probably already know, but Dragon in Dreams made a boy figure which might give better proportions than the Hobbit body.

Though you'll have to excuse the subject matter he was used for:

did-dragon-in-dreams-wwii-german-hermann-weber.jpg

HermannWeber.jpg

lol, yeah I saw that one, but I believe this one is ok in therms of scale.... let's do a comparison...

DSC00519.jpg

SO this is how big the hobbit body will look next to any SS Indy, I think it's the right scale ; The only issue would be that his head will look small... we'll see. Stay tooned for MORE!

Here is a hight reference pic with Indy and Shorty (and hotty but annoying Willie lol)
:whip:

Hello guys!
Today it was a beautiful sunny day here in Montreal So I took my kids to the park and got my Indy TOD and Shorty to take some pics, the kids at the park where all over me saying how cool those figs where, but they had no idea who they where haha! I had to say "maybe your Fathers know".. Any ways I'm super tired but I'm going to show you one of the set of pictures I took... WIll post the rest tomorrow !:cool:

Hope you like it! I'm super exited just to see him standing there ! It was quite a challenge , specially the clothes.

More to come!

Montana Smith

He came out really well. (y)

As you feared the head is a tad small. That's why I was thinking of the DiD body, as the shoulders slope more and the shoulder joints anre smaller and positioned lower.

But I don't think there are many child-sized bodies out there to choose from. And certainly not many Short Round customs.

CAZAFANTASMA said:
...the kids at the park where all over me saying how cool those figs where, but they had no idea who they where haha! I had to say "maybe your Fathers know"..

And there's George's 2008 problem right there in a nutshell!

CAZAFANTASMA said:
More to come!

Looking forward to seeing them.

inky_skin

Really like your Shortie figure CAZ. However, I'd echo Montana's point. The Hobbit figures are a reasonable base, but exhibit the physical characteristic associated with the dwarfism condition - shorter, muscular limbs and a regularly proportioned torso. A child's physique is not that of a shrunken-down adult. You've knocked everything else out of the park - replacing the body would make this figure exceptional.

Yes, I see what you mean, I've heard that from other people so I shall listen! lol. He doesn't look that bad next to my TOD INDY> I will post more pics later, cause I'm at work, but I might try this body when I have a bit of cash (that didn't sound right :eek: ) someone recommended it to me: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Obitsu-28cm-Male-Figure-1-6-Dollfie-Doll-Slim-Boy-Man-Body-Natural-Skin-Color-/300698526962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46030764f2

Any ways, I also created some columns like the one in the TOD poster, but as always, my interpretation on them... here are some WIP pics...

columnsz.jpg

By spv11 at 2012-05-12

Thanks a lot for all your positive comments guys! I like this forum better... people are "friendlier" lol.....

inky_skin

Looking good so far ! I went with the Hot Toys muscle body - you can pick them up in eBay without head/hands/feet for about the same price as the one you've specified (check out the Customs thread for an idea of the muscle definition). That machete is awesome - may I ask where you got it ?

If you're going for complete accuracy, you'll need to take the unfastened buttons off the shirt front and put them on the other side.

Nice work on the columns also. I find that a thin coat of filler works nicely for texturing stone work.

Montana Smith

CAZAFANTASMA said:
Thanks a lot for all your positive comments guys! I like this forum better... people are "friendlier" lol.....

If you mean SSF, then, yes, it can be a den of rabid lions! Though I've been spending more time there myself recently.

inky_skin

Apologies - didn't realise you intended the Obitsu figure for Shorty. Not being funny, but there are quite a few cheap tween body styles in lines such as Barbie...

Montana Smith

inky_skin said:
Apologies - didn't realise you intended the Obitsu figure for Shorty. Not being funny, but there are quite a few cheap tween body styles in lines such as Barbie...

When I saw your post I deleted part of mine - which was to say that a quick Google had showed up a 23cm Obitsu "boy" (and a 21cm "girl").

The 28cm would be almost as tall as Indy.

Last edited:

Stoo

CAZAFANTASMA said:
Today it was a beautiful sunny day here in Montreal...
Great job on Shortie and it's nice to see another Montrealer onboard.

Welcome to The Raven, Cazafantasma!:hat::whip:

THanks Stoo!!!!!! I love MOntreal and Collecting Figures!!!!
I'm glad you mentioned the Machete Inky_Skin. It's custom made, and I used alluminium for the blade, it looks awesome in real life! Looks sharp and dangerous lol !

Yeah I meant SSF forums, people come in look and just bark "paint is off" or just other types of "putting you down" comments (n) but anyways....I promised more pictures, so here they are....

I'm happy on how it turned out, he looks great standing next to that INdy, I have another TOD Indy with the HT head and an asian muscle body, will post pics with that one too. :yess: I'm planning on making a Willie, but I'm not sure what head to use.....

I was able to put the Hasbro shirt and jacket on his back and wrapped it with a custom whip made by my good friend The Rogster! It was perfect for this! Also I made the torch using Hemble's old recipe ...

:)

Thanks man!

Here is a closer pic... what do you think? Is there any pose in particular that you would like to see? I would like a "spike room" dio... it would be awesome.

Palaceslave_82

Fantastic work,Cazafantasma. I love that you attempted a Shorty fig,and that you plan to tackle a Willie Scott. Since you opted for a torn-shirt Indy, I recommend a Pankot escape Willie in sacrifice garb, much like the stellar custom inky_skin graciously made for me. Daley is an expert with Hot Toys-scale clothing, and he is extremely meticulous when it comes to detail. The head does present a problem,however, as (to the extent of my knowledge) no one has attempted a Kate Capshaw/ Willie sculpt.

Can't wait to see what develops with this project. I respectfully agree with the constructive criticisms, since you have obviously strived for movie accuracy,but I can't imagine saying anything disparaging about your Short Round fig; especially when some of them probably couldn't do any better.

Palaceslave_82 said:
Fantastic work,Cazafantasma. I love that you attempted a Shorty fig,and that you plan to tackle a Willie Scott. Since you opted for a torn-shirt Indy, I recommend a Pankot escape Willie in sacrifice garb, much like the stellar custom inky_skin graciously made for me. Daley is an expert with Hot Toys-scale clothing, and he is extremely meticulous when it comes to detail. The head does present a problem,however, as (to the extent of my knowledge) no one has attempted a Kate Capshaw/ Willie sculpt.

Can't wait to see what develops with this project. I respectfully agree with the constructive criticisms, since you have obviously strived for movie accuracy,but I can't imagine saying anything disparaging about your Short Round fig; especially when some of them probably couldn't do any better.
Thanks a lot my friend, I really like constructive criticisms actually. At this point I'm happy with how it turned out and I prefer to focus in my other figures to complete this collection (like Willie and Mola Ram) . I'm also thinking in making one car chase diorama and maybe a Spike room dio too...

This is what I'm using for my Willie. This is a Barbie dress i stole from my daughter (LOL) I would need to customize it and make it as the one in the Hasbro figure.... for the head I will use this one and try to paint it with blond hair and blue eyes... it's as good as it gets in my opinion, any ideas will be welcomed!

oh! do you have a pic of the custom INdy Skin made for you?
Thanks!

Palaceslave_82

Hey,that's not a bad start at all! The face, (and hair,with a bit of resculpting at the bangs for that 80s Farrah Fawcett look) could be workable. Mind if I ask you where you acquired the head,or what it's from?

The dress mainly needs to be cut lower,(to showcase Capshaw's smokin' rack)with a beaded brocade border,which you could probably fake with silver, (or gold ) fabric panels, natch the capped sleeves...and of course cut to halter-style,like the Rajput get-up Willie is dressed in to be sacrificed,baring her midriff. Having sequined white trousers/leggings underneath, (as with my skirt-less inky custom) frees her up for display in several scenes, (mine car chase, bridge, etc. where she didn't wear the dress.) A silver sash belt to hang loosely around the hips of her gown,(both of which she loses at the start of the mine chase) and underneath, a dangling metal Hindu belt, which stays on until they return to the village.

For the shoes, Willie is wearing a flip-flop style sandal with a thong between the toes,with thin straps that cross around her ankle and foot, (like the Hasbro figure). Ebay has something similar in a lot of doll shoes, if you search for "Barbie sandals" (I checked for you; Hey, you're the one with a doll dress! :) You need a veil, (if you're going 100% sacrifice) with silver ribbon glued around the edges for movie accuracy.

Here are some reference pics. Can't wait to see your progress, Willie is my fave Indy gal, and the team-up of her, Indy and Shorty is the best ever.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38347017@N08/6332909396/
(Pic of miniature Willie puppet for costume reference)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38347017@N08/6332544716/
(very rare shot of both Willie and Shorty in costume)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38347017@N08/6332544722/
(enlarged to show detail, esp. of belt)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38347017@N08/6331809133/
(inky's custom v1)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38347017@N08/6998923517/
(revamped version of inky's custom to reflect more disheveled hair by the end of the movie,along with silver costume accents,and wear and tear)

Hope this helps. Can't wait to see Mola come to fruition,too...and to see the trio posed together. Very enthusiastic about all of this, (a scale mine cart would just about push me over the edge!)

Last edited:
Oh man ! thanks a lot for all your comments, suggestions and even reference pics! For the head I found it here:http://www.wantedactionfigure.com/ It's an asian sculptor who has a lot of female and male actors made in 1:6 scale, and that female head it's the closest one I've seen of Kate.... another option would be to pay a sculptor over $200 (which I don't have at the moment lol) to custom made her, and at the end, he or she is provably going to end up selling the head you commissioned for 25 bucks!

As for Mola, I bought a head from ebay.... I'm already working on it and I'm very happy with how it came up. Also, since I'm going with all the TOD set up, I felt like heaving a Pat Roach figure was a must, so I'm picking up another head from ebay, I'll have to work on the beard a bit and the suit should not be very difficult. Here are zome reference pics:

Today i was watching TOD and I saw that during the spike chamber secuence, Shorty takes out what it looks to be a knife (small one) didn't know he had one, they don't show it very often throughout the movie.... I think Hasbro made one as an accessory for him.. but I'm not sure since mine came loose.:whip:
ANy ways, this is a project that will take me a while to finish, so stay tooned for more to come :D

(btw, Kate had an amazing rack indeed! hahahahaha)