Guardians of the Galaxy

Montana Smith

Early Buzz: ?Guardians of the Galaxy? Is Out of This World

Posted on Saturday, July 19th, 2014 by Angie Han

There may come a day when mighty Marvel starts to fall, but it seems we?re not there yet. The first wave of reactions to Guardians of the Galaxy have just hit the web, and they?re nothing short of stunning. Critics are positively fawning over Guardians? action, humor, heart, and cinematography; some have even declared it Marvel?s finest film yet. Any fears that audiences won?t be able to connect to a superhero team that includes a gun-toting raccoon and a talking tree can officially be put to rest. Hit the jump to see the early Guardians of the Galaxy reviews and learn what people are saying.

Naturally, the usual caveats apply. These are brief, instant reactions, not thoughtfully considered reviews. But the overwhelming positivity speaks for itself. Even if these people are exaggerating somewhat, Guardians promises to be, at the very least, another solid entry in the Marvel canon.

Read the tweets:

http://www.slashfilm.com/early-guardians-of-the-galaxy-reviews/

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Could've sworn you were underwhelmed by Avengers precisely because of its irreverent, humorous tone. Does a talking raccoon just automatically make the silliness okay? Honest question...

The attempt at humour in Avengers was weak, unless it was coming from Tony Stark. And the attempt at being earnest fell flat on its face.

Avengers was just a dull film overall. CGI was often poor, especially with the Hulk.

From all the clips and trailers I've seen of GotG it doesn't hold back. It looks much more fun, and, more importantly, engaging. CGI is much better. The talking raccoon is much more realistic in appearance than the Hulk in Avengers, who often looked like a cartoon walking among real people.

And back on topic with the two most interesting characters:

Groot's first appearance in 1960:

tales-to-astonish-13.gif

attachment.php

:D

Last edited:

Montana Smith

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Q01iifykVNw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith

Comic-Con 2014: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 confirmed

Neela Debnath Sunday 27 July 2014

The first film hasn't even hit cinemas yet, but Marvel has announced that it will be making a sequel to superhero movie Guardians of the Galaxy.

The news was announced today at San Diego Comic-Con after a presentation by Marvel Studios.

The head of the Hollywood studio, Kevin Feige, played a video featuring director James Gunn and star Chris Pratt, who broke the news to the audience.

The second film will be written and directed by Gunn, with a release date set for 28 July 2017.

Guardians of the Galaxy is based on the Marvel comic book superhero team of the same name.

The film follows a rag-tag team of galactic miscreants who join forces to protect the galaxy from evil. Pratt plays Peter Quill, also known as Star-Lord, an outlaw from Earth who assembles the group.

While the premise is reasonably generic, run-of-the-mill superhero fare, the execution has proved to be a draw, particularly the wry humour.

The first trailer premiered on Jimmy Kimmel Live back in February and has attracted over 16 million views on YouTube since then.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...rdians-of-the-galaxy-2-confirmed-9631726.html

Forbidden Eye

If this movie is a success, it proves people will literally see anything as long as a Marvel logo is attached to it.

Finn

Staff member
Forbidden Eye said:
If this movie is a success, it proves people will literally see anything as long as a Marvel logo is attached to it.
You know... I don't think I've sat through a full Marvel movie since Spider-Man in 2002. Comic book superheroes have never quite been my thing.

But this one's actually caught my interest. Maybe it's the sci-fi angle or something, but it actually looks different to the stuff normally bearing the "Marvel" stamp.

I'll naturally reserve the final judgment 'til I catch it, as any piece of turd can be made to look interesting in the promotional materials, but I've a feeling folks may actually flock to this regardless of the Marvel logo.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
You know... I don't think I've sat through a full Marvel movie since Spider-Man in 2002. Comic book superheroes have never quite been my thing.

But this one's actually caught my interest. Maybe it's the sci-fi angle or something, but it actually looks different to the stuff normally bearing the "Marvel" stamp.

There is something more appealing about this one.

Maybe it's just nice to take a break from the big hitting Marvel characters and see the second string in action.

Then, of course, there's that science fiction angle.

Finn said:
I'll naturally reserve the final judgment 'til I catch it, as any piece of turd can be made to look interesting in the promotional materials, but I've a feeling folks may actually flock to this regardless of the Marvel logo.

I'll reserve judgment until I find it cheap on disc. Nothing's good enough that it tempts me into a cinema to pay and see it once at a specified time!

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
There is something more appealing about this one.

Maybe it's just nice to take a break from the big hitting Marvel characters and see the second string in action.

Then, of course, there's that science fiction angle.
No doubt there will be people who go see it thanks to the Marvel stamp, but I can also see it having appeal among folks who're not so much into comics but did enjoy shows like Firefly and Farscape. That must be where my interest is coming from.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
...but I can also see it having appeal among folks who're not so much into comics but did enjoy shows like Firefly and Farscape. That must be where my interest is coming from.

I get that impression too, from bits of the trailers. A small group of people, not necessarily friends to begin with, being thrown together aboard a spaceship. There is a bit of Firefly (and Star Wars) in that.

jsarino

The Firefly/Star Wars fan in me is drawing me to see this one. That, and my son keeps nagging me about wanting to see this when it comes out. :p

Montana Smith

Just saw this!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6mFUCsuoaV4?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith

featofstrength said:
I hear Howard the Duck makes an appearance.

2:1 odds that his cigar does not.

That's a bingo.

For those prone to wetting their panties at the thought of spoilers...spoilers follow:

There Is Only One End-Credit Scene After 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' — Here's What It Means

Kirsten Acuna

Aug. 1, 2014, 12:47 AM

Warning: If you have not seen "Guardians of the Galaxy," there are major spoilers below!

You know the drill by now.

Don't head out as soon as "Guardians of the Galaxy" is over. Stick around after the credits for an extra scene.

Marvel loves adding extra scenes often teasing future movies during and after its end credits.

For the past few movies, Marvel Studios has given viewers two extra scenes to watch. One scene will tease a future film in the larger Marvel universe. The other will expand on a moment from the current film.

If you left the studio early and missed what happened, we have you covered.

Last chance to head back before spoilers!

What happens:

The scene pans down over the wrecked ruins of The Collector's (Benicio del Toro) trophy room after it was destroyed earlier in the film. We see The Collector, a man who collects rare and exotic items across galaxies, beleaguered and injured while sipping a beverage out of a green cup. A dog dressed in an astronaut suit comes up to him and licks his face.

All of a sudden a voice off screen asks, "What do you let him lick you like that for?" The camera then cuts to none other than Howard the Duck, a sci-fi creature from Marvel, who says "Gross" before sipping from his own bright green cup.

After the scene the words, "Howard the Duck created by Steve Gerber and Val Mayerik" appear.

If this scene sounds familiar, it's because it leaked online earlier this week ahead of the film's release before quickly being pulled down.

Fans have been freaking out trying to uncover where the duck appears in the film after the fowl's name was spotted in the credits by site Stitch Kingdom.

It's not the only time we see Howard in "Guardians." Director James Gunn recently told /Film you can catch a glimpse of the fair-feathered friend when The Collector first appears on screen.

Upon a second watch, we did spot Howard near the upper right hand corner of the screen in his own tiny cell when Del Toro first turns to face the audience in the film.

Who's Howard the Duck and why is he in "Guardians of the Galaxy"?

As we mentioned, Howard was a Marvel comic character first introduced in 1973, so he's fair game for Disney to use in one of its movies since acquiring Marvel for $4 billion in 2009.

In 1986, Howard was the focus of a live-action Universal movie, "Howard the Duck," produced by George Lucas — yes, that George Lucas. This is how most audiences are familiar with the character.

However, it's really interesting that he appeared in "Guardians" if you know anything about the character's history with Disney.

Shortly after his creation in '73, Disney threatened Marvel with legal action claiming Howard the Duck's satirical design bore a striking resemblance to Donald Duck.

According to an archived Silver Bullet Comics interview — now known as Comics Bulletin — with Howard the Duck co-creator Stever Gerber, Marvel came to a bizarre deal with Disney that virtually allowed the Mouse House to redeisgn the character.

"To avoid litigation, Marvel's old management signed an incredibly stupid agreement with Disney. Under its terms, all future appearances of Howard must conform to a set of designs that Disney provided for the character. You've seen this design. It's the one from the black-and-white HTD magazine, with the ghastly swollen beak, the beady eyes, and the baggy trousers that make the duck look like a derelict. What's absolutely astonishing, though, is that the Disney agreement is worded in such a way that Marvel isn't even permitted to create a new, alternative design for the character, even if that design bears no resemblance to Donald."

http://www.businessinsider.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-end-credits-scene-2014-7

Attila the Professor

Staff member
kongisking said:
It seems Raveners have completely forgotten the existence of spoiler-tags. Damn it people...

Spoiler tags?

Man, I didn't know we had those.

Let me ask something, though. Why are trailers ok but spoilers aren't? It's not as though the director or the screenwriter is responsible for what goes into the trailer. How come this ridiculous teaser trailer-to-trailer routine doesn't bug you, or the whole geek film-industrial complex that's arisen to track every single move those producing these films make?

Joe Brody

Attila the Professor said:
Spoiler tags?

Man, I didn't know we had those.

Let me ask something, though. Why are trailers ok but spoilers aren't? It's not as though the director or the screenwriter is responsible for what goes into the trailer. How come this ridiculous teaser trailer-to-trailer routine doesn't bug you, or the whole geek film-industrial complex that's arisen to track every single move those producing these films make?

Trailer's are where it's at now a-days. I just hate it when they break trust with the audience and show too much. I just thought it was cool in Winter Soldier how they used it to dramatic effect.

I tried in typical meandering style to get a thread started on the current state of the trailer -- but failed (my fault).