Lost City of Z

Le Saboteur

Henry Jones VII said:
It was never a movie for children to begin with, so I don't see the problem with an r rating.

The people who put up the money care deeply. For all the ranting and raving about what 'they' want to see, adults don't go to movies. For every Mad Max there are a dozen Crimson Peaks, a handful of The Nice Guys, Conan the Barbarians, Zodiacs, and Kingdom of Heavens.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
IndyBuff said:
I don't care what the rating is as long as it's good.

But the point that Le Saboteur is quite properly making is that this movie can't be a financial success with its audience limited by an R rating. As such, we get fewer movies like it.

IndyBuff

Attila the Professor said:
But the point that Le Saboteur is quite properly making is that this movie can't be a financial success with its audience limited by an R rating. As such, we get fewer movies like it.

I get that and it's totally understandable. I just worry about studios watering down films for fear they won't be able to market them to everyone.

Z dweller

A good movie, beautifully shot and well acted.

As a standalone piece of storytelling it totally delivers, despite several historical inaccuracies (which won't bother those who haven't read the books).

I'll stop here for now, to avoid spoilers. Check it out and post your own comments, there's so much more to say! (y)

Z dweller

SERIOUSLY?

A month since this movie opened in the U.S. and no other Ravener went to see it or cares to comment?

Come on guys, what is the matter with you? :(

Le Saboteur

Z dweller said:
Come on guys, what is the matter with you? :(

You're all too busy waxing effusive on the twaddle that is the new Blade Runner. And if I think about it, I don't recall you watching and commenting on this one. It's just as deserving as this thread.

1459783758055.png

That said, I'll offer a couple quick thoughts now that I've had occasion to check out the flick over the long weekend.

Darius Khondji continues to do excellent work. I've liked his output since The Ninth Gate, and I don't think anybody is able to harness light in quite the same way. Disney-Lucasfilm would do well to kick Kaminski to the curb and allow Khondji to lens any future Indy-like projects.

James Gray and his team continue to be deft hands at... world building for lack of a better term. Rather than feeling like costumes that the actors merely donned, everything feels lived in. Like it's something right out of the actor's closet.

The sense of scale one gets from shooting on location cannot be replicated on a soundstage or in a computer, and The Lost City of Z reinforces this notion.

I was glad they included James Murray. Despite being a right bastard, his early experiences in the jungle brought back some fond personal memories.

Any further critique will have to wait. It's late.

Z dweller

Le Saboteur said:
the twaddle that is the new Blade Runner.
Just like that? Rejected a priori?
Why?
Tell us more please, in the relevant thread.

Le Saboteur said:
And if I think about it, I don't recall you watching and commenting on this one. It's just as deserving as this thread.
As deserving, possibly (guilty as charged of not watching it yet).
As pertinent to the explorer/adventurer/archaelogist hero lore which is the main focus of these boards, not a chance.

Le Saboteur said:
Any further critique will have to wait. It's late.
I'll be looking forward to your further comments.
And I think the movie has been out long enough for either of us to worry about spoilers now, so fire away!

Stoo

Now Available on DVD & Blu-ray

Imagine my surprise the other day when I walked into a Best Buy and saw the DVD staring at me from the shelves. :eek: That sure didn't take long!

It has a DVD, Blu-ray & Digital Copy all in the same package and includes a bonus feature titled, "Locating the Lost City".

Will be watching it for the 1st time this weekend with a friend. :D

Z dweller

Stoo said:
Will be watching it for the 1st time this weekend with a friend. :D
Great, let us have your comments Stoo! :D

Disappointingly, not many Raveners seem to have watched this movie, so far...

Joe Brody

Z dweller said:
Great, let us have your comments Stoo! :D

Disappointingly, not many Raveners seem to have watched this movie, so far...

It's still 14.99 on iTunes. In another week or two it will be 9.99 and then I'll pull the trigger.

IndyBuff

I watched it tonight and really enjoyed it. There were some historical inaccuracies and things from the books that I wish had been done better, especially the ending, but overall it was very enjoyable and far better than what I had initially expected.

WilliamBoyd8

For those with access to American cable television:

The Turner Classic Movies (TCM) cable channel plans to show the 1958 film "Manhunt in the Jungle" which is also about the search for Col. Fawcett and the "Lost City of Z" on Thursday October 19 2017 at 6:30pm Eastern time.

I haven't seen this film but I plan to watch it.

:)

Stoo

WilliamBoyd8 said:
The Turner Classic Movies (TCM) cable channel plans to show the 1958 film "Manhunt in the Jungle" which is also about the search for Col. Fawcett and the "Lost City of Z" on Thursday October 19 2017 at 6:30pm Eastern time.
Thanks for the notification, Hoppy. :hat:

If anyone plans on recording the film, I'd be well up for a trade or purchasing a copy of it. PLEASE! :D

---
P.S. The reason I haven't written a review of "Lost City of Z" yet is because I found it thoroughly disappointing. Maybe I can muster up enough energy in the near future to explain why.

WilliamBoyd8

I did watch the 1958 film "Manhunt in the Jungle" this morning (October 20 2017) on TCM cable and thought it was a good film.

It is 79 minute long and was "Photographed entirely in the Amazon Country of South America".

Col. Fawcett disappeared in the Brazilian jungle in 1925 while searching for the "Lost City", in the film called "El Dorado".

The film is based on George M. Dyott's book Man Hunting in the Jungle, published in 1930.

In 1928 Cmdr. George M. Dyott takes a small expedition, financed by American newspapers, to locate either Fawcett, El Dorado, or both.

He recruits some men from the last town. One of the men takes Dyott to see his wife, who has psychic powers. She tells Dyott that Fawcett was killed by Indians and to beware of something called "E. T.".

Dyott's group encounters deserts, rivers, and assorted wildlife.

post_manhuntjungle_snake_01.jpg

Of course there have to be snakes.

They finally encounter a tribe of Amazonian Indians.

He finds some of Fawcett's items in an Indian camp and an Indian chief tells him about a pile of stones which could be the lost city and that Fawcett's group was murdered by Indians.

He suspect that the Indians visiting his group killed Fawcett are about to massacre his group.

The expedition leaves without visiting the lost city but Dyott considers it a success because they found out what happened to Fawcett.

:)

Stoo

Curucu, Beast of the Amazon (1956)

Our poor, lost explorer gets a mention in the '50s flick, "Curucu, Beast of the Amazon". (y) In northern Brazil, a plantation manager and female doctor travel to the (fictional) Curucu Waterfalls in search of a legendary beast + a medicinal concoction.

At one point, the villain says:
"Thirty years ago, Colonel Fawcett tried to reach the falls. He never returned." :dead:

This film features the Iguazu Falls...which were also used in "Crystal Skull".

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Finally saw it, I was waiting for Apple TV to allow the Prime app. Very good. Reminded me of Teddy Roosevelt's 1914 Amazon expedition where an infected leg injury killed him, eventually, in 1919. Number 3 on Time's best of 2017 list.