Indiana Jones & Super Bowl XXIX

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Ranked last of 20, a bit harsh.
20. Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, 1995: Other performers: Patti Labelle, Teddy Pendergrass, Tony Bennett: The Vince Lombardi trophy was stolen and Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood had to recover it while Tony Bennett and Patti Labelle performed songs in a fictitious Club Disneyland. This was the actual premise of the Super Bowl halftime show in 1995. Nineteen ninety-five! It would stand as most embarrassing moment in Indiana Jones history until Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released. It's still the most embarrassing halftime show.

Stoo

Forbidden Eye said:
YAWWWWWWWN! :sleep:
No kidding. That 'article' should be ignored because Teddy Pendergrass wasn't even part of the show!:rolleyes: The 3rd star was Arturo Sandoval. Typical, poorly-researched, 'blog journalism'.(n)

By the way (just in case some of you didn't notice), Arturo Sandoval's entire performance was part of the pre-recorded, backing track. Tony Bennett had the only working microphone. Patti's was a 'prop' and Arturo didn't even have one!:gun:

On the plus side, great voice choice for Marion because it's very similar to Karen Allen's.(y)

---
It's puzzling why Moedred's gift of this long-lost-treasure hasn't generated more discussion about such a unique & crazy Indy event. Younger fans (& non-North American fans) may not be able to connect with the nostalgia but it's a SPECIAL moment in Indy history!

Kitsch, for sure, but it's Indy-kitsch!:whip:

Stoo

Me said:
That 'article' should be ignored because Teddy Pendergrass wasn't even part of the show!:rolleyes: The 3rd star was Arturo Sandoval. Typical, poorly-researched, 'blog journalism'.(n)
Moedred said:
The Hollywood Reproter said:
Patti LaBelle (1995)
Patti LaBelle's Disney-sponsored Super Bowl set was themed "Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye," meaning that she took the Miami Gardens' Joe Robbie Stadium stage with fictional characters Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood. The songstress also performed with Tony Bennett, Teddy Pendergrass, Arturo Sandoval and the Miami Sound Machine.
Re. Teddy Pendergrass:
:confused: This is 2nd time (that I know of) where Teddy Pendergrass' name is mentioned in connection with this thing! Why? Where is he?:confused: He did not "perform" with Patti Labelle, as this 'Hollywood Reporter' article states.:rolleyes:

Re. Miami Sound Machine:
This is news to me: I never knew that Miami Sound Machine was part of the show. Has anyone been able to spot Gloria Estefan or was it just the band without her? Why weren't they mentioned along with other stars?:confused:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
It's puzzling why Moedred's gift of this long-lost-treasure hasn't generated more discussion about such a unique & crazy Indy event. Younger fans (& non-North American fans) may not be able to connect with the nostalgia but it's a SPECIAL moment in Indy history!
I agree Stoo, so to remedy this I'm going to ask the most followed folks on Twitter to share the video. Now composing thoughtful letters to Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Barack Obama...

https://twitter.com/katyperry/status/558069409710100485
Edit: First result, will update as the others respond. Sounds like Katy Perry's entire dance troupe stopped rehearsing to watch, and her newly inspired choreographer is making drastic changes to next Sunday's show.

TheFedora

To be honest, only reason I am looking forward to Super Bowl this year is due to the second Jurassic World trailer premiering during that time.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Moedred said:
Now composing thoughtful letters to Katy Perry,

https://twitter.com/katyperry/status/558069409710100485

Edit: First result, will update as the others respond. Sounds like Katy Perry's entire dance troupe stopped rehearsing to watch, and her newly inspired choreographer is making drastic changes to next Sunday's show.

Katy Perry likes Indiana Jones? Woo Hoo!

xOvjq28.gif

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/th...st-unbelievable-super-bowl-halftime-show-ever

A definitive behind-the-scenes essay on the Indy halftime show and its place in history, with huge file photos. Something was casually mentioned in the interviews...
Most rehearsals took place in the Joe Robbie Stadium parking lot. The crew only had one day to rehearse and film with LaBelle, Bennett and jazz trumpeter Arturo Sandoval.

The trophy prop was heavy and unbalanced. Everyone who tried to throw it struggled with it. "The night we filmed, the extra got really excited and threw it really hard."
Did/does the NFL make a backup recording of the show in case of a technical disaster? Like when an SNL skit falls apart, they quietly replace it online with the dress rehearsal version.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps these events could be have transpired at the Raven's Nest? In 1936, 10-year-old Anthony "Tony" Benedetto was already singing in New York...
I'm still hoping he finds his way into Indy canon. If you think some of young Indy's historical encounters are improbable, consider: he "performed at the opening of the Triborough Bridge (July 11, 1936), standing next to Mayor Fiorello La Guardia who patted him on the head. He began singing for money at age 13, performing as a singing waiter in several Italian restaurants around his native Queens."

I had forgotten the subtitles provided by ABC were so wonky. I may have to transfer the footage again with them on for additional amusement.

Spiked

I didn't realize it until today, but the halftime show for the 1995 Super Bowl was about our hero. Here's the Wikipedia entry under SB XXIX:

Sounds... campy. Does anyone have any screen shots from the show they can share, or know of any website with video of this show?
Just watched it on YouTube, had no idea this existed or somehow forgot about it.