View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Paden, I think those are all great suggestions and in-scope. I just try to think of novels that would likely appeal to fans of the Indiana Jones franchise.

Building on your list and the other input, I recommend the following:

Rudyard Kipling's 'Kim' -- one if not 'the' first spy novels -- set in India at the height of Empire and fun, fun read. (However there's a lot of terms and native phrases so only read from Edward Said's annotated version). Kipling's 'Kim' is a direct literary descendent of 'Kidnapped.'

Hemingway -- I will never tire of promoting 'For Whom the Bell Tolls'.

James Dickey's 'Deliverance' and 'To the White Sea' are great reading. Not pure adventure but riveting.

Bartle Bull's novels -- Pure Adventure (so I'm with Roundshort on this). The first three starting with 'The White Rhino Hotel' and 'The Cafe on the Nile' (possibly the best) and 'The Devil's Oasis' are set in Africa and build up the beginning of the second World War. His latest 'Shanghai Station' is also fun and starts with a whole new set of characters. It will be interesting to see if Bull tries to blend his two storylines during a novel set in WWII.

Alan Furst's 'The Polish Officer' -- the story of a competent cartography thrust into varied intrigues abroad as a Polish spy working to fight the Germans any way he can. This is the story of a true soldier alone in a world seemingly falling apart (i.e. falling under the heel of the German Tyrants). Good Hemigwayesque writer.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote