Blade Runner 2049

IndyBuff

I have to admit it looks really impressive. I wasn't excited about this sequel, mostly because I didn't think the original needed it, but this looks very promising. Consider me invested.:)

Forbidden Eye

Dr.Sartorius said:
There's a Ridley Scott article from around 2014 or 2015 where he says Ford will only be in the last act.

Well we won't know for sure until the movie is released, of course, but the trailer paints it that Gosling searches and finds him in the middle of the movie. Hopefully he makes it to end and contributes enough to the story.

Z dweller said:
The few story elements which can be gleaned from the trailer are intriguing, while clearly the team are not giving too much away.

The stone-inscribed date of 6-10-21 is a no brainer for any real BR fan, and leads me to believe that Villeneuve based his story on Scott's director's cut, as opposed to the original release with the added "happy ending" scene (which isn't surprising in view of Ridley active involvement in the project).

The meaning?
Rachaels death date

Percisely why I'm nervous about this. I always loved that they left it open to viewers to interpret what the fate of our characters are. The fact we're getting an official sequel that will give us answers is going to take away some of the magic from the original(the many versions) away.

If nothing else, we'll get a lot of cool new visuals, just not sure if it'll be worth it.

Z dweller

Forbidden Eye said:
The fact we're getting an official sequel that will give us answers is going to take away some of the magic from the original(the many versions) away.
I do not agree with this.

Blade Runner will always be a classic to treasure - regardless of whether or not this proves a worthy sequel, and regardless of any "answers" or story developments Villeneuve introduces.

If you don't end up liking it, just ignore it. Why would it affect your ability to enjoy the original?

And by the way, the same applies to KOTCS, Indy 5 and any prequel/sequel which may follow, in relation to the original trilogy.

roundshort

Z dweller said:
I do not agree with this.

Blade Runner will always be a classic to treasure - regardless of whether or not this proves a worthy sequel, and regardless of any "answers" or story developments Villeneuve introduces.

If you don't end up liking it, just ignore it. Why would it affect your ability to enjoy the original?

And by the way, the same applies to KOTCS, Indy 5 and any prequel/sequel which may follow, in relation to the original trilogy.

Schrodinger's Blade Runner?

Z dweller

Gizmodo tries to decode the new trailer for clues.

Interestingly enough, they don't really elaborate on the 6-10-21 date.
Didn't they make the connection? Or are they afraid of spoilers? I wonder.

TheFedora

Looks like we're getting a Ford action figure again for this one, this time from NECA.

http://www.scified.com/news/neca-reveals-blade-runner-2049-figures

KQlwECM.jpg

Z dweller

Deckard gets a lot more airtime in this second trailer. (y)

"We were being hunted!"
Does he mean "Rachael and me", or "us replicants"?

We shall see...

Z dweller

Duaner said:
That's a mind-boggling statement. If your frequent collaborator is coming off two straight years of receiving an Oscar nomination for his film scores, why would you look elsewhere? It does not get much "better" than that.
Oh yes, it does!

Johannsson out, Zimmer in.

The mind boggles - not!

IndyBuff

I'd love to see them incorporate some more elements from the original novel. Things like Mercerism and people's obsession with owning real animals was largely ignored in Blade Runner and it would be great to see some of that become a focal point in this one.

The Man

Z dweller said:
OK, my excitement has now officially reached fever pitch. :D

Maybe Harry was actually serious with this.

He may well have been.

With Villeneuve directing, Deakins lensing, and Ford's eulogizing over the script, I was genuinely hoping for a fine sci-fi yarn that didn't sully the mystique and ambiguities of the original. But these early reviews indicate that we might just have this generation's Blade Runner!

Let's just hope we don't get seven different cuts. ;)

Z dweller

The Man said:
He may well have been.

With Villeneuve directing, Deakins lensing, and Ford's eulogizing over the script, I was genuinely hoping for a fine sci-fi yarn that didn't sully the mystique and ambiguities of the original. But these early reviews indicate that we might just have this generation's Blade Runner!

Let's just hope we don't get seven different cuts. ;)
Yes, there is every reason to be optimistic. (y)

My main concern at this stage is about the music, which is a fundamental element of the original movie.

Even getting to close to Vangelis' sumptuous score would be a truly gargantuan achievement for any film composer, including the much revered Zimmer.

Some have already pointed out that he may be suffering from overexposure...