Indy 5 Villain?

Le Saboteur

Indiana Jones: From Cancer to Capricorn

kongisking said:
I'd **** myself if we had pirates as the Indy villains.

I was resistant to this idea. Still am in fact, but after glimpsing the attached picture, I'm convinced that Indiana Jones could face off against a band of pirates if handled properly.

full_force_by_bjorntoday-d3h3mdw.jpg

Why no pirates? The short answer: Indy is a land based mammal due to the technological constraints of the age and (now) his age. Undersea exploration wasn't de rigueur until the Sixties, and Jules Verne this is not.

That said, I've gone on record as saying that the series needs three things to continue to be worth a damn: a palette swap, a non-Abrahamic artifact/Macguffin/whatever, and no 'effing Nazis.

Keeping Indy between the two Tropics (that's Cancer & Capricorn) satisfies all three of those requirements. Specifically localizing the story in and around Indonesia allows island-hopping, komodo dragons, a tramp steamer, pirates, and a melange of cultures.

Getting back to the above photo, imagine the ensuing fight. Indy pulls out his revolver a la the Cairo Swordsman only to have it whipped out of his hand, and is forced to fight with whip and fists against a pair of whip wielding pirates!

Toht's Arm

I like this a lot, Le Saboteur.

Undersea exploration wasn't de rigueur until the Sixties? Surely there's a good chance that if Indy V occurs, it WILL be set in the 60s, now that Harrison's so old...

And there hasn't been much in the way of undersea stuff in Indy thus far...

Olliana

I don't see underwater stuff because of several reasons.

Underwater exploring would be too connected to Atlantis stuff, and Lucas wouldn't go that route, obviously.

Furthermore, I can't see Indy taking a submarine trip inside. Indiana Jones and das Boot anyone? He sat on a submarine in Raiders and they didn't show the actual ride because no one cared enough. He was on a boat in Crusade, blew it up and swam home. That's what works in the Indyverse.

So what about diving action? I know Harrison is in good condition, but action scenes under the surface would be pretty exhausting for a man of his age, and even for him. And we already had this in Crusade. Also, Indy is about face expression and witty one liners, which would be omitted in situations like that.

Stoo

New Idea (related to the recent Disney merge)

THE BLOB!

This would give Indy a formidable enemy and Disney could avoid all accusations of stereotyping foreign cultures (as what happened with "Aladdin"). It would also continue with the '50s, science-fiction theme set forth in Indy 4.

Indy has to beat The Blob before it finds the Dial of Ahaz.;)

Raiders90

Stoo said:
THE BLOB!

This would give Indy a formidable enemy and Disney could avoid all accusations of stereotyping foreign cultures (as what happened with "Aladdin"). It would also continue with the '50s, science-fiction theme set forth in Indy 4.

Indy has to beat The Blob before it finds the Dial of Ahaz.;)

You mean the way Spielberg and Lucas stereotype a whole group of ethnicities in the 1978 Raiders Story Conference and talk about underpaying foreigners?

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
You mean the way Spielberg and Lucas stereotype a whole group of ethnicities in the 1978 Raiders Story Conference and talk about underpaying foreigners?
Yes, the same way. (Lucas & Spielberg are, essentially, out of the picture now so they weren't worth mentioning.) It's Disney from this day forward and THE BLOB is the perfect, UNOFFENSIVE villain!:p

Raiders90

Stoo said:
Yes, the same way. (Lucas & Spielberg are, essentially, out of the picture now so they weren't worth mentioning.) It's Disney from this day forward and is the perfect, UNOFFENSIVE villain!:p

page102.jpg

page20.jpg

page10.jpg

I think the next Indy film should be titled INDIANA JONES AND THE QUEST FOR CHIN!
george_lucas_neck550.jpg

Icybro

You know who would make a great villain in Indy 5?

Indy!

Evil brainwashed Indy was a lot of fun (in a disturbing way) in TOD. They could mine a similar vein in Indy 5.

Now hear me out. Ten years after KOTCS, the government offers Mutt (hang in there, Shia-haters!) an early parole if he agrees to steal them the Super MacGuffin. Mutt says he doesn't steal MacGuffins, that's his deadbeat dad's job (shades of Last Crusade), and the government dudes say "We know. Your dad stole the Super MacGuffin, and he's working for The Bad Guys. We want you to steal it back." Cue dramatic music (courtesy John Williams, natch).

The next hour and a half is Indy kicking Mutt's butt at every turn across five continents, for reasons unexplained. Then in the last half hour, Mutt finds out Indy was working on bringing down The Bad Guys from the inside the whole time. Indy dies, and in revenge Mutt kills all The Bad Guys and maybe eats the Super MacGuffin. Then I guess a bunch of monkeys and prairie dogs drag Mutt back to jail.

I predict a total Indy 5 sweep at the 2015 Academy Awards. :cool:

Stoo

@Raiders112390: What is your point in posting those snippets? Those comments were made in private. What do they have to do with potential Indy 5 villains?:confused:

That said, any racial stereotyping in the Indy films remain unchanged, whereas, Disney redubbed their 'politically incorrect'* lyrics in "Aladdin".:rolleyes:

*Using the term, 'politically incorrect', very lightly.
Icybro said:
You know who would make a great villain in Indy 5?

Indy!
---
Ten years after KOTCS,...
Heh! Interesting, Icybro.:)

Dr. Gonzo, Pale Horse & I have been talking about Indy fighting the Hells Angels at the Altamont festival (1969) in this thread: Disney Disgust

Having Mutt as the villain has been mentioned before but Altamont provides a scenario. Extrapolating upon Dr. Gonzo's idea: Mutt joins the Hells Angels who are then hired as security at Altamont. Indy is there because he is a fan of Carlos Santana. At some point before The Rolling Stones take the stage, Indy unknowingly drinks a beverage laced with acid/LSD and becomes convinced that the Shroud of Turin is rolled up and hidden inside Charlie Watts' bass drum. It must be retrieved immediately so Indy fights his way to the front of the crowd and battles with the Hells Angels in an attempt to get onstage. In the process, he is blocked by his own son who says, "You ain't goin' nowhere, old man!". Fisticuffs ensue with Mutt getting severely pummeled by his dad in an interweaving of violence & drama.

Last edited:

WilliamBoyd8

November, 1966

Indiana Jones enters a large office in Southern California.

An elderly, obviously ill man is seated at the desk.

"Professor Jones, I am dying.
The doctors tell me it is lung cancer and I will be dead within a month.
I have hear a lot about you, can you do something for me?"

"Yes, of course, Mr. Disney"

:)

WilliamBoyd8 said:
November, 1966

Indiana Jones enters a large office in Southern California.

An elderly, obviously ill man is seated at the desk.

"Professor Jones, I am dying.
The doctors tell me it is lung cancer and I will be dead within a month.
I have hear a lot about you, can you do something for me?"

"Yes, of course, Mr. Disney"

:)
WOW.

I want to see that film.:hat: