Ideas For New Indy Actor

Finn

Staff member
Mickiana said:
I am not a Ford Fetishist myself. He is a great first Indiana Jones, but I do hope someone else gets to fill the Aldens in either a reboot or "prequel continuation".
Neither am I. No actor should become bigger than the character they portray.

I suppose all I was trying to say is that an actor with some likeness to Ford and an ability to imitate his mannerisms does matter more if we're to look at an entry to the same continuity than one that is completely independent of it. But in either case, it should not be the decisive factor. What matters far more is a good and entertaining piece as a whole. In fact, you could not have a better proof of that than KotCS. Even Ford himself can't save a movie if it has shortcomings on other departments, despite nailing the role.

Mickiana

Finn said:
I suppose all I was trying to say is that an actor with some likeness to Ford and an ability to imitate his mannerisms does matter more if we're to look at an entry to the same continuity than one that is completely independent of it. But in either case, it should not be the decisive factor. What matters far more is a good and entertaining piece as a whole. In fact, you could not have a better proof of that than KotCS. Even Ford himself can't save a movie if it has shortcomings on other departments, despite nailing the role.

Agreed. As well as the right person to play the role, they need the magic mix for the whole thing to work.

kongisking

Spurlock said:
Another person I think would be an interesting fit is Tom Hardy. Yes I know he's a bit more famous than you want the new Ford to be, but take a look:

02.JPG

movies_lawless_still_1.jpg

That's him in the movie lawless, and even though he's not a perfect fit, he's has a good look in a fedora and fits into the time period well.

There's an idea. Tom Hardy in anything is a big plus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spurlock

Yeah, two for the price of one!

He may need to lose a couple of pounds to fit the role, but he definitely has the chops, acting a physical, to play the role.

Sea Monarch

Montana Smith said:
(y)

In a remake of ROTLA Tom could play the roles of Indy and the German mechanic:

Tom+Hardy+as+Charles+Bronson

kongisking said:
Eddie Murphy-ing taken to the (mad) max!

Bwaaahaahahaha! For a split second, when I first glanced at your post, I thought that was Ironbar! [highlight]Listen to the LAAAWWWWW![/highlight] TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVE!!!:D

Next, I did think of the Nazi Mechanic, before settling on Bane, and Hardy!

He's even got the "punched by Indy" look, to boot! [highlight]Is MY Face RED???[/highlight]

Criminey, I like Tom Hardy, but does he have to be in everything?!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sea Monarch

Montana Smith said:
That was Tom doing his Charles Bronson impression.

No, not that Charles Bronson!

PDVD_000-60.jpg

Hahaha! Hey Monty, Good to see ya, or read ya, anyhow! Wondering, if not THAT Charles Bronson, which other one is out there, that I'm not thinking of??

Burning the midnight oil, eh?? "Milk and Cookies kept you awake, huh?? Let's discuss this. Maybe you better come up." Play much chess? ;)

Hey kong, 'ol chap, I'm confused about the Eddie Murphy name drop. Enlighten us, perhaps. :)

Montana Smith

Sea Monarch said:
Hahaha! Hey Monty, Good to see ya, or read ya, anyhow! Wondering, if not THAT Charles Bronson, which other one is out there, that I'm not thinking of??

This one!

posterBronson.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/charles-bronson-top-10-facts-789093

Sea Monarch said:
Hey kong, 'ol chap, I'm confused about the Eddie Murphy name drop. Enlighten us, perhaps. :)

Does the Nutty Professor ring any bells?

the-nutty-professor-3-20081118050706122.gif

Sea Monarch said:
Burning the midnight oil, eh?? "Milk and Cookies kept you awake, huh?? Let's discuss this. Maybe you better come up." Play much chess? ;)

It's daylight here in bunkerland!

Sea Monarch

Montana Smith said:

Ah, I see. Hadn't heard about that movie yet. Couldn't read the cast list, but I assume that's Hardy. If so, it makes sense that he might as well play more Bane looking characters, while he currently still has the build he had to work hard to get.

Montana Smith said:
Does the Nutty Professor ring any bells?

the-nutty-professor-3-20081118050706122.gif

Of course, I know who Eddie Murphy is, it was merely a matter of seeing what he has to do with the subject of Tom Hardy. But, I think that picture helped. Looks like Mr. Hardy ate a mushroom, and now "Heeza Superrr Now"

Montana Smith said:
It's daylight here in bunkerland!

Ditto, for me now, also. Although much of that business about Milk and Cookies, and chess, was a somewhat obscure pop culture reference. But, one that most Harrison Ford fans, should pick up on.;)
Might have been a little too Inside.

Montana Smith

Sea Monarch said:
Ah, I see. Hadn't heard about that movie yet. Couldn't read the cast list, but I assume that's Hardy. If so, it makes sense that he might as well play more Bane looking characters, while he currently still has the build he had to work hard to get.

It was an odd film...about an odd man!

Sea Monarch said:
Of course, I know who Eddie Murphy is, it was merely a matter of seeing what he has to do with the subject of Tom Hardy. But, I think that picture helped. Looks like Mr. Hardy ate a mushroom, and now "Heeza Superrr Now"

I think the mighty kong was referring to the multiplicityness-ness of a single actor playing numerous roles in a single film. ;)

Sea Monarch said:
also. Although much of that business about Milk and Cookies, and chess, was a somewhat obscure pop culture reference. But, one that most Harrison Ford fans, should pick up on.;)
Might have been a little too Inside.

harrison-ford-blade-runner-slice.jpg

His best film.

Maybe if Hardy misses out on the Indy role, he'll get Deckard for a sequel/prequel?

Sea Monarch

Montana Smith said:
It was an odd film...about an odd man!

I think the mighty kong was referring to the multiplicityness-ness of a single actor playing numerous roles in a single film. ;)

I thought you meant the size of both characters, but this makes more sense.

Montana Smith said:
harrison-ford-blade-runner-slice.jpg

His best film.

YOU have great taste. I place it second, only to Raiders!!:cool:

Montana Smith said:
Maybe if Hardy misses out on the Indy role, he'll get Deckard for a sequel/prequel?

I could see that, more than him as Indy, but not while in Beefcake mode. Although, all the Mad Max character comparisons are timely, since he's slated to star in Mad Max:Fury Road.

Montana Smith

Sea Monarch said:
YOU have great taste. I place it second, only to Raiders!!:cool:

Okay, his best sci-fi along with his best adventure. :)

Sea Monarch said:
I could see that, more than him as Indy, but not while in Beefcake mode. Although, all the Mad Max character comparisons are timely, since he's slated to star in Mad Max:Fury Road.

Remakes being popular right now, I wouldn't put it past Disney to make Indy 5 as Indy 1 take two. With Harrison making a cameo appearance as a patron in The Raven.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
I think the mighty kong was referring to the multiplicityness-ness of a single actor playing numerous roles in a single film.

Correct.

Oh, and I read somewhere that Bronson himself loved Hardy's portrayal. Hardy actually met him in prison and got the maniac's blessing before filming started, too!

Sea Monarch

Montana Smith said:
Okay, his best sci-fi along with his best adventure. :)

That's the spirit!

Montana Smith said:
Remakes being popular right now, I wouldn't put it past Disney to make Indy 5 as Indy 1 take two. With Harrison making a cameo appearance as a patron in The Raven.

Don't mind the reboot. Just don't want to see Harry reduced to a cameo in the series that owes as much to him, as he does to it! Besides, Him playing another character, would remove the 4th wall! The only time this should be allowed in cinema, is if your movie is named The A-Team, (a giddy, campy action flick), or Ferris Bueller's Day Off, (a giddy, happy teen fantasy) Otherwise, I hate it when they do this! Hated when the James Bond movies did it too!

Speaking of which. Call me daft, but I think Indiana Jones should be played by an American Actor, just as I prefer James Bond to be played by a European. I don't see Hardy as Indy,...at....all. Don't get me wrong. I love his acting. My two favorite roles of his were in ST:Nemesis, and in Inception. Just not my go to guy for Dr. Jones.

Spurlock

I really don't mind what nationality the actor who plays Indy is, as Indy himself has been part of many, in many nation's armies and such. As long as they can mask the accent enough so it's not obvious.

For me, more than anything, it's the look and attitude that matter to me. :whip:

Zeus The Moose

I fall into the crowd that sees Indiana Jones as pretty similar to James Bond, so I don't really have a problem with a new actor taking on the hat and whip. Sean Connery was the original James Bond, and probably the best James Bond, but the subsequent Bond actors still brought something to the character, and many of my favorite Bond movies do not star Connery.

At this point I would be more interested in seeing a new actor as Indiana Jones than a 70-something Harrison Ford. Indiana Jones isn't exactly high art. These are fun action-adventure movies, so I don't see recasting the lead character as that big a deal as long as the movie is still entertaining.

Now with that being said, who do you go with as the new Indiana Jones?

I think John Hamm would be a good choice. He's 42 right now, so a few years older than Ford was in The Last Crusade. I don't really see that as a big deal though since the guy's in decent shape and doesn't really look all that old. The important thing is that he possesses the natural charm and charisma that you would need to play Indiana Jones. He has a solid range as an actor, and he's also capable of projecting the intelligence and worldly wisdom that would be required. So we have a guy who can be charming, funny, serious, heroic, witty and intelligent, plus he kind of looks the part. All around a solid choice.

My wildcard choice would be Robert Downey Jr. Yes, he's older than Ford was (he's 48), but it's still a far cry from where Ford is now, plus he doesn't really come across as that old a guy. Once again, if things like charm, charisma, wit and intelligence are how you would describe Indiana Jones, RDJ undoubtedly has the ability to convey all of those in spades. He's been Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes, and I really don't see Indiana Jones as that big a stretch. Indy has a knack for getting himself into one mess after another. There is a sort of "out of the frying pan and into the fire" approach to the story, and I think RDJ would excel in that those types of situations. You probably couldn't afford to hire him though.