Tokyo, Japan

I'm going to Japan in Dec with my family, is there anything i will need to know when i get over there or before i get there? anything exciting in Tokyo i need to go see? I'm so excited and happy :D, this is my first time going to any country and getting on a plane.

AlivePoet

IndyWolf15 said:
I'm going to Japan in Dec with my family, is there anything i will need to know when i get over there or before i get there? anything exciting in Tokyo i need to go see? I'm so excited and happy :D, this is my first time going to any country and getting on a plane.

Exciting! Good for you, some global experience and exposure to another culture will enlighten you in many ways, I'm sure. (And I don't mean that in a patronizing way.)

I'm living in Seoul right now, and I plan to go to Tokyo sometime next month, so I too am thinking about places to visit/sites to see... if anyone has been there, perhaps you can shed some light on some things?

indy34

Try to drag your family to the top of mount Fuji I hear it's amazing up there especially at sun rise and set(y)

Le Saboteur

It's not exactly unique...

...to Japan, but Tokyo Disney Sea and Disneyland are the 'ish. You should make a point to spend one-day at either one of the parks. They really go all out for the holidays, too!

disneysea.jpg

Mc_ducks.jpg

6d4d3b488ce9a0abd5e5da66fc52_grande.jpg

tower_of_terror.jpg

AWESOME! my dads gotta take us to Disney! We are going to Disney in Orlando FL, so we will get to go to 2 theme parks in one year! But the sad thing is my mom will be working and she won't be able to come:(. Even do it might be cold i still want to climb mount Fuji.

RedeemedChild

Well out of all the things that Japan has to offer I'm must anticipating finally being able to see Square Enix in person. I hope to see the company and take tours and meet the forces behind Final Fantasy.

I'd also like to see Japanese historical sites and touch the blades of Samurai swords and see some people in the costumes and garments of Japan's rich heritage and dynasties.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I haven't been to Japan, but I've have a few friends who have. The one thing they all have recommended to me (and I guess I'm passing on their recommendation) is to go to an authetic Japanese Temple and there are even houses that do the whole traditional Japanese thing like Green Tea Ceremonies. I've heard the countryside is quite beautiful. Harajuku (the suburb in Tokyo) is also an interesting place to visit- that's where the teenagers and young Japanese people dress up in some weird and wonderful fashions.

Also it would be handy to know a couple of Japanese phrases to get around. That's all I've heard about Japan anyway. And yes, Disneyland and DisneySea are a must (and there is that Indy and the Temple of the Crystal Skull ride at DisneySea).

AlivePoet

There is also a samurai-esque town within one of the borough-like areas of the city, dedicated to the history of the samurai code. Obviously pretty touristy, but nevertheless worth a visit if you're interested in it. I definitely plan on hitting it up next month.

And, as Violet suggested, a Buddhist temple is worth visiting. It's a big part of Asian history. I've been to several in Korea and they are all pretty impressive architecturally speaking, but also finely and meticulously decorated.

AlivePoet

IndyWolf15 said:
Thank you everyone this has helped a lot. I won't have to worry about food because i know they have BK, McD and stuff.

Ah but one of the joys of visiting a foreign country is losing yourself in the culture, and experiencing their cuisine is a big step towards doing this. Some of it might be too spicy for you, but a lot of Asian cuisine is really very nice (and cheap!).

AlivePoet said:
Ah but one of the joys of visiting a foreign country is losing yourself in the culture, and experiencing their cuisine is a big step towards doing this. Some of it might be too spicy for you, but a lot of Asian cuisine is really very nice (and cheap!).
I love spicy food, my family members can't take it but i can. If it's not spicy enough i will put until i'm a fireball lol.

Peru1936

How long will you stay? There's plenty to see in Tokyo. The basic touristy stuff is the Meiji Shrine, the Empiral Gardens, and the sort. I highly recommend checking out a few sumo matches. Although, like mentioned, Fuji-yama will be cold in December (I climbed it at night in late September and it was plenty cold then at the summit), you can still visit it. You can still climb it if you're prepared and experienced (it's an endurance hike rather than a technical one). It can only be seen from Tokyo on a clear day, so it's worth spending a couple days around its base; lots of hotels, restaurants, and the beautiful lakes.

Japan is a lovely country. Enjoy! Be sure to let us know how it all went.:D

Peru1936 said:
How long will you stay? There's plenty to see in Tokyo. The basic touristy stuff is the Meiji Shrine, the Empiral Gardens, and the sort. I highly recommend checking out a few sumo matches. Although, like mentioned, Fuji-yama will be cold in December (I climbed it at night in late September and it was plenty cold then at the summit), you can still visit it. You can still climb it if you're prepared and experienced (it's an endurance hike rather than a technical one). It can only be seen from Tokyo on a clear day, so it's worth spending a couple days around its base; lots of hotels, restaurants, and the beautiful lakes.

Japan is a lovely country. Enjoy! Be sure to let us know how it all went.:D
I'm not sure how long we will be there but i will ask my mom, don't worry guys I will tell you how our trip wen't. This is awesome my parents don't have to pay the flight tickets or for our food the goverment is paying for it all.

Indy Scout 117

wow!! sounds fun!! the farthest ive been outside of the States was...oh probably the western Carribean, i went there on a cruise. the ship stopped at Cozumel, Mexico but i didnt get off the ship; i made friends with the teens of the ship and we decided to stay on the ship and hang out...that was the funnest week of my life :D cruises are a BLAST!!!!! i recommend you go on one, if you havent already. my family and i went to disneyworld right before the cruise started. of course i had to see the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!! it was SOOOO cool!!! (y) you HAVE to tell us how your trip went it sounds like so much fun!!

Indy Scout 117 said:
wow!! sounds fun!! the farthest ive been outside of the States was...oh probably the western Carribean, i went there on a cruise. the ship stopped at Cozumel, Mexico but i didnt get off the ship; i made friends with the teens of the ship and we decided to stay on the ship and hang out...that was the funnest week of my life :D cruises are a BLAST!!!!! i recommend you go on one, if you havent already. my family and i went to disneyworld right before the cruise started. of course i had to see the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!! it was SOOOO cool!!! (y) you HAVE to tell us how your trip went it sounds like so much fun!!
I've never been on a cruise, we almost did but my dad didn't want to go. I'm sure it's awesome to go on a cruise. I'm very excited about our trip to Japan.

Agent Crab

IndyWolf15 said:
Thank you everyone this has helped a lot. I won't have to worry about food because i know they have BK, McD and stuff.

Why break for fast food? Try some Japanese places. Tempura or even a Japanese Habatchi grill.

Nazi costume set to be pulled from shelves

Is it reasonable to allow any one group, through use or suppression, possesion of a symbol or sole right to define?

TOKYO — A Japanese discount chain said Tuesday that it will pull a Nazi costume from its shelves after a complaint from a Jewish organization in the U.S.

The costume on sale at retailer Don Quijote Co. includes a black jacket with a swastika armband and a sketch resembling Adolf Hitler on the package, with the phrase "Heil Hitler."

101207-nazi-costume-hmed-1a.grid-6x2.jpg

The outfit was on sale for about 5,000 yen ($60) in at least two Don Quijote outlets in Tokyo, including one in the upscale Ginza shopping district.

Aico, a Japanese party goods maker, has made the costume for seven years and never had a complaint, said spokesman Nobuyoshi Nasuzawa. He said his company uses distributors and so wasn't aware of which retailers sold it.

'Symbol of hatred'
Don Quijote said it would pull the product after being told of a letter from the Simon Wiesenthal Center, a Jewish rights organization based in Los Angeles. The letter, dated Monday, requested that sales at the store immediately cease, saying that millions of Jews and other innocents were killed by the Nazis during World War II and that the swastika remains a "symbol of hatred."

Well, it's not been pulled YET...they're getting ready. Reminds me of when we would go down to the mall and if you asked they would sell you weapons and fireworks. The guy who sold me brass knuckles actually said, (as he took my money) I shouldn't use them! Currently they're used to tenderize meat...

...these guys know how to party!