View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #776
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
My friends & I used to imitate some of his lines from "The Boys In Company C" during the early '80s but it wasn't until "Full Metal Jacket" did we learn R. Lee Ermey's name.

He was outstanding in that. As the story goes, he was originally hired as an advisor but felt that the actor playing the sergeant wasn't good enough so he sent a videotape to Kubrick auditioning for the role. Supposedly, it's a non-stop 15 minute barrage of verbal abuse from Ermey, barking orders & delivering insult after insult. No pauses, no repeating himself, the whole time being pelted with oranges and tennis balls! I would love to see that tape someday.

R.I.P. R.Lee

While I was in Comm School in the USMC, one of my classmates, LCP Barr's father served as a DI with SSGT Ermey. Barr kinda grew up with him and his family were "friends" (DIs often have complicated lives). Barr had mastered SSGT Ermey cadence to a T! So when our Platoon had to march somewhere he would shout the Cadence. It was pretty entertaining to see EVERY Marine stop and look for SSGT Ermey.

He was a big reason why I enlisted in the Suk. RIP

AND RIP to Barbra Bush. A first class first lady.
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote