Shia LaBeouf announces retirement

Montana Smith

469054805.jpg

The stunt reached a new level of ridiculousness Wednesday when "Stand by Me" and "Piranha 3D" actor Jerry O'Connell, in collaboration with the comedy site FunnyOrDie.com, began parodying LaBeouf at a gallery next door with "#IAMSORRYTOO" similarly plastered on the window. Inside, O'Connell donned a paper bag with the words "SUPER FAMOUS" on it.

The line to meet O'Connell was considerably shorter than LaBeouf's queue. O'Connell's one-day lampoon was particularly meta because many folks have drawn parallels between LaBeouf's "#IAMSORRY" display and artist Marina Abramovic's performance-art piece "The Artist Is Present," which featured Abramovic sitting across from visitors at New York's Museum of Modern Art in 2010.

Ultimately, several "#IAMSORRY" attendees said they were left scratching their heads, unsure if the grocery bag confessional they participated in was part of another meltdown from a former child star, a Joaquin Phoenix-like publicity stunt, an intellectual commentary on copycat culture or something in-between. However, no one queried said they regretted waiting in line.

"I grew up watching him on 'Evens Stevens,' so I never thought I'd be sitting across from him as an adult with a paper bag on his head," said James Gianti, a 21-year-old student who waited in line two hours. "I didn't really know what to expect. It was way more depressing than I thought it would be. He's just sitting there. The whole thing was just really, really depressing."

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/02/13/labeoufs-paper-bag-art-stunt-draws-curious-crowd/20829599/

Montana Smith

Túrin Turambar said:
He looks like he as psychological problems, and that ***** was just mocking the poor guy. The guy is ill.

That's a cruel insinuation to make about a guy who's no longer famous trying desperately to regain his fame.

IrishJedi

We don't know for sure what's going with Shia. Was that "art"? Contrived manipulation? A stunt for attention? Or is he sincerely in pain and having a very public meltdown? We may never know.

We do know, however, that Hal Rudnick is a weasely little *******.

Last edited:

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
That's a cruel insinuation to make about a guy who's no longer famous trying desperately to regain his fame.

Yes. Please, tell us more about how you somehow know that LaBeouf is just trying to get attention. For heck's sake, he very well may be. But we don't know for certain. From what I'm seeing and hearing, this looks like a legitimate mental breakdown. So this guy coming up to him and being an ass is basically a bully taunting someone with a mental problem.

Same goes for those FunnyOrDie idiots.

What Shia needs is mental help and for the haters to back off a little. Instead, we're basically going up to him and cackling in his face while poking him with sticks.

I know this is extreme, but...what if Shia kills himself? Like an awkward kid at school that is singled out and mocked by everyone, and he finally can't take it anymore and takes the emergency exit. I don't ****ing care if he's Michael Bay, if his breakdown progresses to such a point and results in the end of his life, that's a tragedy and a sign of how fanboy hatred has totally spiraled out of control.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
What Shia needs is mental help and for the haters to back off a little. Instead, we're basically going up to him and cackling in his face while poking him with sticks.

Doing stupid things isn't necessarily a sign of mental breakdown. He's a product of Hollyweird and probably has more therapists and advisors than you can shake a stick at.

If he's written his career into a corner and simply chosen an odd way out of it to gain attention and sympathy, then it's disrespectful to assume he's gone nuts.

Imagine how crushing it would be for him if he were to read that his life choices now resembled the acts of the clinically insane? I mean, it could push him over the edge.

He's not famous anymore girls! Shia LaBeouf embraces delighted female fans after bizarre 'art show'

By Helen Zhao

PUBLISHED: 22:15, 17 February 2014 | UPDATED: 00:21, 18 February 2014

Having sat in stone cold silence for seven hours a day, ignoring any questions or comments, and looking utterly sullen faced and dreary, Shia was perhaps ready for some human contact.

And when the installation - titled #IAMSORRY - came to a close the 27-year-old actor suddenly dropped the act and engaged in a three minute hugging session with fans.

article-0-1B94378900000578-776_634x394.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...aces-fans-successful-not-bizarre-art-show.htm

(Complete with video).

kongisking said:
Yes. Please, tell us more about how you somehow know that LaBeouf is just trying to get attention. For heck's sake, he very well may be. But we don't know for certain. From what I'm seeing and hearing, this looks like a legitimate mental breakdown. So this guy coming up to him and being an ass is basically a bully taunting someone with a mental problem.

Same goes for those FunnyOrDie idiots.

I know this is extreme, but...what if Shia kills himself? Like an awkward kid at school that is singled out and mocked by everyone, and he finally can't take it anymore and takes the emergency exit. I don't ****ing care if he's Michael Bay, if his breakdown progresses to such a point and results in the end of his life, that's a tragedy and a sign of how fanboy hatred has totally spiraled out of control.

Yes exactly does look like a mental breakdown

kongisking

Túrin Turambar said:
if i was Shia being mocked and laughed at like that, i would have jumped over that ****ing table and ripped that Rudnick *****'s throat out.

Sadly, Shia's image would only suffer more, no matter how righteous he may be in doing so...;)

Mickiana

kongisking said:
People with a sense of compassion and empathy, that's probably who.

It's very good to have a sense of compassion and empathy, but I can understand Drifter's comment. Shia doesn't need your bleeding heart sensibilities, although he might like them. I don't know what Shia wants or needs.

But imagine some other credible actor doing what he has done or saying the things he has said. I can only imagine it comes from the cocoon of being a Disney starlet and then falling into being an upcoming Hollywood star: pretty much naiveté, which is not a crime of course.

I'm not saying he's a disaster as I am not interested in his hijinks as recorded by social media, and his mute live art piece has me asking more questions than having any immediate understanding. Maybe he has a good or clever point to make, but regardless I wish he would verbalise more.

kongisking

Mickiana said:
It's very good to have a sense of compassion and empathy, but I can understand Drifter's comment. Shia doesn't need your bleeding heart sensibilities, although he might like them. I don't know what Shia wants or needs.

But imagine some other credible actor doing what he has done or saying the things he has said. I can only imagine it comes from the cocoon of being a Disney starlet and then falling into being an upcoming Hollywood star: pretty much naiveté, which is not a crime of course.

I'm not saying he's a disaster as I am not interested in his hijinks as recorded by social media, and his mute live art piece has me asking more questions than having any immediate understanding. Maybe he has a good or clever point to make, but regardless I wish he would verbalise more.

My reaction to this is based on my assumption that Shia may really be having a loss of sanity, in which case, folks like that DO need bleeding-heart sensibilities. People suffering these kinds of breakdowns need support and compassion, not scumbags video-taping themselves mocking him just to get channel views.

Montana Smith

Deckard: The report read "Routine retirement of a replicant."

Rachael: Have you ever retired a human by mistake?

Deckard: No. Well...I mean...it was hard to tell with the paper bag over his head.

rick-deckard.jpg

Montana Smith said:
Deckard: The report read "Routine retirement of a replicant."

Rachael: Have you ever retired a human by mistake?

Deckard: No. Well...I mean...it was hard to tell with the paper bag over his head.

rick-deckard.jpg

Not sure what to make of that lol?

kongisking

TheFedora said:
Brad Pitt: "Shia Labeouf is one of the best actors I've ever seen."

1. Uh....I don't know what to say.
2. I thought Shia was retired. Apparently he's not anymore. (n)
3. Let's show him KOTCS and see if he still has that judgement.:whip:

I chuckle at the thought that Shia's trying to do something approaching Daniel Day-Lewis levels of method acting dedication. Can't fault him for the passion.

And that's pretty neat to get praise from Brad Pitt of all people.