Foreshadowing?

I Don Quixote

In the Anything Goes opening sequence in ToD, when all the girls are tap dancing, I'vee noticed something. When the reach over and pull out the other girls' scarves, it looks like Mola Ram pulling out the victim's heart. Do you think it's foreshadowing?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Nah, don't think they put THAT much thought into Temple...

Well, you never know as I wouldn't be so sure...Star Wars was really about Vietnam, Alien about the class system and the song 'Robert DeNiro's waiting' is about rape. No, really!

Hidden meaning are in EVERYTHING.

Except Citizen Kane that is about a guy that loses a sled.

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Technically pretty much anything can be seen as foreshadowing, if it seems to fit. So in that sense, the OP is sort of asking whether we should see a duck where there is one.

The proper question in this case is, whether it was intentional or not. Therefore I berate the OP for presenting a lackluster question, but praise the community for approaching it in a coherent manner regardless.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Finn said:
Technically pretty much anything can be seen as foreshadowing, if it seems to fit. So in that sense, the OP is sort of asking whether we should see a duck where there is one.

The proper question in this case is, whether it was intentional or not. Therefore I berate the OP for presenting a lackluster question, but praise the community for approaching it in a coherent manner regardless.

I was coherent?! I must be doing something wrong.

Finn

Staff member
JuniorJones said:
I was coherent?! I must be doing something wrong.
Yes, it is a rarity worth noting, considering this is an establishment where the only kind of drinking problem is the one that occurs when the liquor runs out.

Dr. Gonzo

Finn said:
The proper question in this case is, whether it was intentional or not.

In this case I don't believe it was intentional... was just suppose to be a fun ode to old dance numbers.

Interesting proposal though.

JuniorJones said:
Except Citizen Kane that is about a guy that loses a sled.

I lost my Rosebud too...
shedding-tears.gif

michael

Depending on when it was shot, I believe it was shot after they knew of all the Temple stuff.

It's highly possible, and I like to believe it was intentional. I think you're all underestimating the choreographer(s).

I Don Quixote

Pale Horse said:
I disagree. I think directors, good ones, do this instictively.
True. They already knew what the story would be about, so the use of foreshadowing in the opening sequence is totally possible.

Forbidden Eye

I said:
In the Anything Goes opening sequence in ToD, when all the girls are tap dancing, I'vee noticed something. When the reach over and pull out the other girls' scarves, it looks like Mola Ram pulling out the victim's heart. Do you think it's foreshadowing?

Heh, I made the exact same observation four years ago.

I'd like to think its intentional. It makes the movies feel more in-depth. I enjoyed reading in another thread here at TheRaven where members discussed if the shots of the tire rim in the opening of Kingdom was foreshadowing of the UFO. So really, the intros in all fours movies have a major case of foreshadowing.

Stoo

I said:
When the reach over and pull out the other girls' scarves, it looks like Mola Ram pulling out the victim's heart. Do you think it's foreshadowing?
I certainly think so. After almost 30 years, the relation never occurred to me before so thanks for bringing the red scarves to my attention! You have a brilliant mind, Donna Keehotay.:hat:
Forbidden Eye said:
Heh, I made the exact same observation four years ago.

I'd like to think its intentional. It makes the movies feel more in-depth. I enjoyed reading in another thread here at TheRaven where members discussed if the shots of the tire rim in the opening of Kingdom was foreshadowing of the UFO. So really, the intros in all fours movies have a major case of foreshadowing.
Good going, Forbidden Eye.:hat: I must have missed your post 4 years ago because this observation is new to me.

The hubcap shot in "Skull" is a favourite of mine and I'm one of those who think it's a foreshadow. Indy's brother recently noticed another flying saucer likeness in the lamp on Indy's desk at home, which I fully believe was intentional.

What cases of foreshadowing do you see during the intros of "Raiders" and "Crusade"?:confused:

I Don Quixote

Stoo said:
I certainly think so. After almost 30 years, the relation never occurred to me before so thanks for bringing the red scarves to my attention! You have a brilliant mind, Donna Keehotay.:hat:

What cases of foreshadowing do you see during the intros of "Raiders" and "Crusade"?:confused:
I'll have to think on this one....
And thank you!

Forbidden Eye said:
Is it just me, or is the part where the dancers take out the red cloth from the clothes a foreshadowing for the heart-ripping scenes?

I can understand why the Anything Goes opening can have a "WTF" reaction on the original viewing, but the more you watch it, the more you see what a good narrative the opening it really is. It introduces and describes Willie the same way the bar scene in Raiders introduced Marion.

Donna, Donna, Donna...fess up! As a fan of Anything goes, you were reading the vs thread and ripped Forbidden Eye's post out and transplanted it here...:whip:

Love the optimism, (especially from Stoo!) but this scarving patternicity is too closely related to confabulated eggs for my tastes...:rolleyes:

Sounds great though!