General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Indy's brother

I know that this is going back a month Darth, but:

Darth Vile said:
I think Lucas would have made a much more individual and original movie if he'd not had to compromise.

Aside from making the aliens into "interdimensional beings", which just meant giving John Hurt that one line of dialogue "Interdimensional beings, in point of fact", what did Lucas compromise on?

Raiders90

Indy's brother said:
I know that this is going back a month Darth, but:

Aside from making the aliens into "interdimensional beings", which just meant giving John Hurt that one line of dialogue "Interdimensional beings, in point of fact", what did Lucas compromise on?

Compare the script and storyline of Saucermen from Mars to KOTCS, and there you shall see where he compromised.

Indy's brother

Raiders112390 said:
Compare the script and storyline of Saucermen from Mars to KOTCS, and there you shall see where he compromised.

Just because the scripts are different, how does that mean he compromised, rather than just kept reworking the idea (as evidenced by having several writers on it for 18/19 years0? From all that I've read, the big hang up was the aliens, he compromised by making them inter-dimensional beings, Spielberg caved, that was that. If there is more to it, I would need specific quotes to believe that George altered his vision much more than that to accomodate anyone. Sorry, it just doesn't compute for me.

Oh, and Indy 5 got greenlit today. YAY!!!!

Can't tell if Harry is happy or upset about it, though:

l080604_ford.jpg

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Is that for real? Indy5 is greenlit definitely?

I think Indy's bro is pulling a leg or two. :D

There was something of a tradition in Britain that April Fools played after midday make a fool of the prankster. Though that never really made any sense to me, because in my book every day can be April 1st!

Mickiana

Ya had me! I got all excited, despite the fact I did consider April Fool's day. But isn't that limited to the 1st April? Hang on, it's still the 1st at your place. Sheesh, dummy me.

Dr. Gonzo

"I went down to St. James Infirmary
saw Indy V laying there
laying on a long white table
so cold, so soft, so fair..."

:dead:

Indy's brother

Dr. Gonzo said:
"I went down to St. James Infirmary
saw Indy V laying there
laying on a long white table
so cold, so soft, so fair..."

:dead:

"As I was walking up the stairs
I saw a film that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
What the hell is the delay."

Mickiana said:
Ya had me! I got all excited, despite the fact I did consider April Fool's day. But isn't that limited to the 1st April? Hang on, it's still the 1st at your place. Sheesh, dummy me.

It's always the future in Australia. Apart from the culture, which is frozen in 1986.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
replican't said:
It's always the future in Australia. Apart from the culture, which is frozen in 1986.

Actually that's the American impression of Australia. All thanks to the Simpsons.

Montana Smith

replican't said:

Neighbours, Everybody needs good neighbours
With a little understanding
You can find the perfect blend
Neighbours...should be there for one another
That's when good neighbours become good friends
Ooh Neighbours, should be there for one another
That's when good neighbours become good friends.

l080604_ford.jpg

Violet said:
Actually that's the American impression of Australia. All thanks to the Simpsons.

Naaah maaate, I'm English and I lived in Sydney for a few years recently so it's based on experience.

Do they still teach the Nutbush City Limits dance at school?

Mickiana

replican't said:

We have culture here?!! We used to have an unofficial national theme song whose lyrics were: Football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden Cars!" Just sing that line over and over again with a tinny of your favourite generic lager in yer mitt to join in with a beauty bunch of ockers, mate!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
replican't said:
Naaah maaate, I'm English and I lived in Sydney for a few years recently so it's based on experience.

Do they still teach the Nutbush City Limits dance at school?

Your experience is based solely on Sydney. Western or Southern suburbs, I'm guessing. Which isn't a fair assessment of Australia. I've lived out there only last year. I don't think you're completely wrong, however I think your assessment depends on what part of Australian culture you talking.

I've lived in 5 different Australian cities. And if the culture was still '86, ask any kid and see if they know anything about 80s culture. Chances are, they don't. They're all obsessed with facebook, iphones and even anime. Some don't even know what Indy is, apart from "nuke the fridge."

As for Nutbush, they certainly didn't teach it to my brother and he is currently in school. I'm well out of school- only time I've ever seen the Nutbush was at extended family parties for the campy-ness of it- And I went to nine schools.

The only thing I'll give you points for for '86 culture, is Australian film and television, as they have yet to evolve to the kind of country Australia's become and becoming. They still have folk believing that the "ocker" spirit is still alive, nation wide. And it isn't. You just have to look at Western Sydney for that. Ocker only exists in places more isolated like Cairns, Townsville or Dubbo. And people still call, European Australians, "wog". Something that I don't exactly appreciate being called.

Then there's the lack of success in the Film & tv business with people who are of any ethnic background apart from White Anglo-Saxon Australia, certainly shows the underlying racism that still abounds here and that in itself is more 70s than anything. And so many talented people then flock over to LA or Britain and become successful there.

I think I've made my point here. Now, back on track to what this thread's really about.

Mickiana

'Ockerism' is not limited to only some small towns. I work with ockers every day in my work as a tradesman. The trade world is a place where all those anachronisms, stereotype images and preconceptions perpetuate. Because it is not an intellectual environment, every prejudice may flourish without much challenge and so perhaps there is a higher amount of 'ockerness' occurring there. So, what I am suggesting is that ockers and other social substrata occur everywhere, in their small cultural pockets rather than in geographical locales. Australia is still full of ockers and every country would have their equivalent.

Apologies for derailing the thread further. Just had to throw in my two cents worth.

Sea Monarch

Violet said:
Then there's the lack of success in the Film & tv business with people who are of any ethnic background apart from White Anglo-Saxon Australia, certainly shows the underlying racism that still abounds here and that in itself is more 70s than anything. And so many talented people then flock over to LA or Britain and become successful there.
I've often wondered if actress Thandie Newton is of aboriginal descent, ever since I discovered she hails from Australia. Not implying that she would have to be. I've never bothered to look into it, but if she is, I think that would be cool. Whether she is, or not, she is a welcome change from the usual "White Anglo-Saxon" Aussie imports. Not that I'm complaining, as I've always loved nearly all things Australian. Especially music bands, and artists.

I have also seen that Thandie, and Nicole Kidman made a movie together, 1991's Flirting when they were younger, and relatively new in their careers, which made me also wonder if they've been friends from early on in Australia long before they became big here in the states. Any insight about Thandie, Violet? Sorry to have continued to keep the thread off track.

Back on track, even though I am reading the previous comments on today the 6th, my first instinct, having noticed the date you posted, was that you would be pulling our leg, Indy's brother. Still, I'd be lying if I said the possibility didn't get me a little excited. But I'd rather George take a little more time, and make it the greatest ever, with no detractors, if possible.