Jungle Cruise: The Movie

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:

So much so that we're getting a scene (at least) on a college campus. Cast & crew were recently spotted on the campus of Oxford College at Emory University. They were reportedly in costume as well, but I wouldn't have guessed this was a costume at first. Aside from the shoes nothing about strikes me as period, but everything old is new again.

4E36121100000578-0-image-a-31_1531518326319.jpg

The above is swiped from the rag known as The Daily Mail and the below is ganked from Twitter. Not much to see except for what looks like lighting arrays.

DhdRtgnUYAAI2DN.jpg

Here's a quick glance at the aerial view of the campus in question from Emory's official site. Lots of potential there.

maps-and-directions-full-image.png

Shared universe still incoming.

curmudgeon

Disney posted a promotional bit with Blunt and Johnson in their costumes.

The video description also gives us the official social media links for the film:
https://twitter.com/JungleCruise
https://www.facebook.com/JungleCruise
https://www.instagram.com/DisneysJungleCruise/

And for good measure, here's an embed of the film's logo from the facebook page.

I'm glad they didn't give the Rock a costume that was too similar to his Jumanji one. (Especially now that Jungle Cruise and Jumanji 3 are expected to release two months apart.)

Le Saboteur

There's a rumor making the rounds that Trader Sam will make an appearance in the film. But will it be Disneyland Sam or Disney World?

We wants the Colonel!

curmudgeon said:
I'm glad they didn't give the Rock a costume that was too similar to his Jumanji one. (Especially now that Jungle Cruise and Jumanji 3 are expected to release two months apart.)

Sure, except that they gave him one that's wa-ay too evocative of Bogart's in The African Queen. I can't unsee it. To say nothing of the fact that Blunt has strong echoes of Nicole Kidman in Australlia!. (It should have had an exclamation point in the title.)

curmudgeon said:
And for good measure, here's an embed of the film's logo from the Facebook page.

When I began this thread I expected a title change somewhere along the way, not hitting the nail on the head. Jungle Cruise is a descriptor, not a title.

The promo vid was amusing. I'm looking forward to seeing more, and hope we get a proper teaser at some point in the near future!

Kungaloosh!

JasonMa

Le Saboteur said:
Sure, except that they gave him one that's wa-ay too evocative of Bogart's in The African Queen.
Well, considering the movie was an inspiration for the attraction, I'd say that's appropriate.

Le Saboteur

Joe Brody said:
Fantastic picture.

The Rock recently followed it up with a tantalizing flyover. Not much detail otherwise, but you get a good look at how massive the set is.

You can find the original clip minus the other promo material (and in better quality) on his Instagram.

JasonMa said:
Well, considering the movie was an inspiration for the attraction, I'd say that's appropriate.

If people are thinking of better movies while watching your movie, you're doing something wrong.

curmudgeon

Le Saboteur said:
If people are thinking of better movies while watching your movie, you're doing something wrong.

In fairness, that seems like a bigger problem for film aficionados than the masses. I can't imagine there's huge swells of people under 30 who have seen the African Queen.

(Although here's hoping such an overt reference in a modern movie can lead newer audiences to it.)

curmudgeon

The film just got pushed from a fall 2019 slot to July 24th, 2020.

Could be a strategic move, to avoid having to market the film at the same time as Dwayne Johnson's Jumanji sequel (set for December 2019.)

Might also be a case where it needs reshoots. Johnson's filming schedule on other projects is booked up until next fall, meaning it would be difficult to fit in any kind of extensive reshoots before the film was originally due.

But that's just my speculation...

Lance Quazar

Half of me thinks this looks pretty fun, the other half just recoils at the fact that it appears to be yet another modern Disney schlockbuster where every single frame is 99% hideously garish CGI, in the tradition of the awful Alice In Wonderland movies and the POTC sequels.

curmudgeon

Half of me thinks this looks pretty fun, the other half just recoils at the fact that it appears to be yet another modern Disney schlockbuster where every single frame is 99% hideously garish CGI, in the tradition of the awful Alice In Wonderland movies and the POTC sequels.

I'm torn as well. The first few trailers looked okay, but the latest one looked overboard with unnecessary CGI and weird color grading.

Face_Melt

Easy $30 for premiere access for me on day 1. Looking forward to this more than Black Widow.

Also could you guys imagine if Indy 5 had come out this year and was a premiere access film as well?

Forbidden Eye

I can't help but wonder if they made the wrong approach focusing the movie on "being an adventure" instead of "being a comedy". The ride always worked best by the skippers making a big joke out of the ride and not taking it seriously.

While I love a good adventure movie, as long as its well executed(duh! this is an Indiana Jones forum) this does look like a carbon copy of Pirates Of the Caribbean, which will probably hurt the movie more than help, as they never really managed to capture lightning in a bottle when it came to Curse Of The Black Pearl, remember Prince Of Persia or The Lone Ranger?? If they had attempted a quirky comedy and made it in the vein of someone like Wes Anderson, they could've had something much more original and special, imho.

That and The Rock(he'll always be The Rock to me) is the other big mistake. Remember just how inspired and creative Johnny Depp's casting in a Jerry Bruckheimer adaptation of a theme park ride felt back in 2003? "Dwayne Johnson" is about as uninspired a lead as you could've casted at this point in time.

JasonMa

Sister and brother hire questionable guide to take them deep off the beaten path to the legendary location of a lost treasure.

Is this the description of the Jungle Cruise plot or The Mummy plot?

If they took the Mummy, sanded off Egypt, and filled it in with jungle and can pull it off I'm all in for it.