Lincoln

Dr. Gonzo

Happy all around about the choices being made.
I like Liam Neeson, but in the end Day-Lewis is best suited for Lincoln.
I'm interested to see some other casting news for Lincoln's cabinet.

TheMutt92

Dr. Gonzo said:
I'm interested to see some other casting news for Lincoln's cabinet.

I still say Harrison Ford for Ulysses S. Grant. I mean if Spielberg's directing this its not like his involvement will hurt Indy 5, in fact it might strengthen the chances (and I think we all wanna see Ford in a non-Indy Spielberg film).

Joe Brody

Key guy will be the Secretary of War: Stanton. He was man the both during the war and immediately after the assassination.

TheMutt92

Lincoln gets a supporting cast...

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/give-oscar-spielbergs-lincoln-now

Joining Day-Lewis and Field you can add the likes of Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens, a Republican leader and congressman from Pennsylvania in the U.S. House of Representatives and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of President Lincoln and the only one to live past his teenage years.

Add to that Hal Holbrook, James Spader, John Hawkes, Tim Blake Nelson, Bruce McGill, Joseph Cross, David Costabile, Byron Jennings, Dakin Matthews, Boris McGiver, Gloria Reuben, Jeremy Strong, and David Warshofsky all of which will make up as yet, unannounced supporting roles in the feature.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Empire interviews Spielberg...
"We start shooting in October. Doris Kearns Goodwin's book Team Of Rivals is much too big a book to be a movie, so the Lincoln story only takes place in the last few months of his Presidency and life. I was interested in how he ended the war through all the efforts of his generals...but more importantly how he passed the 13th Amendment into constitutional law. The Emancipation Proclamation was a war powers act and could have been struck down by any court after the war ended...But what permanently ended slavery was the very close vote in the House of Representatives over the 13th Amendment - that story I'm excited to tell. Amistad is much more visual than Lincoln is going to be. It feels very much like a procedural. It shows Lincoln at work, not just Lincoln standing around posing for the history books...arguably the greatest working President in American history doing some of the greatest work for the world."

Joe Brody

Moedred said:

That really nails it. A lot of historians get hung up comparing Jefferson's and Lincoln's intellect -- and many give Jefferson the edge because his big old brain covered so much ground in so many areas. But for me, Lincoln gets the edge. His intellectual output day-in, day-out was staggering and he made massive bang-bang decisions under huge, unrelenting pressures that Jefferson never had to contend with. Everyone cracks under stress, and I'd argue that the ability to make good decisions over a prolong period of constant stress is a rarer gift than Jefferson's inventive mind. Oh, and he was one Hell of a vampire slayer too.

Jay R. Zay said:
and you are... <strike>mr. buzzhumor.com?</strike> mr moviegossip.com? i'd like to mention that unless anybody invited a bot to keep us up-to-date about the latest contributions to <strike>mr. buzzhumor.com</strike>, [anything NOT Indiana Jones], you might consider locking this account before it gets [any more] annoying. :)
Really man...

WillKill4Food

Rocket Surgeon said:
Really man...
In his defense, this film has more relevancy to Indiana Jones than a lot of others discussed on here, seeing as Spielberg is behind it.

At any rate, with Day-Lewis in the lead role, I do have higher hopes for the film now. Somewhere there's a man walking down the street, thinking that he is Abraham Lincoln. I wonder what kind of accent he'll do for Lincoln, who had a squeaky voice, from what I hear.

The Man

WillKill4Food said:
At any rate, with Day-Lewis in the lead role, I do have higher hopes for the film now. Somewhere there's a man walking down the street, thinking that he is Abraham Lincoln.

As long as he doesn't have himself assassinated in preparation...:gun:

WillKill4Food said:
In his defense, this film has more relevancy to Indiana Jones than a lot of others discussed on here, seeing as Spielberg is behind it.
Yeah, you're right. More significant AND demonstrable than Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Nightmare on Elm Street 2010.

Come to think of it Prometheus has relevancy to Indiana Jones seeing as Ridley Scott directed it, he directed Harrison Ford in Blade Runner and you can make the final relevant link, right?

Bet I could do that with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Invention Of Hugo Cabret and Batman!

Nice one Nurse!:rolleyes: